• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My project(s)

Reaction score
Hi, I posted a few times a while back, but mostly been lurking and working on getting a bike on the road. Glad to say I have accomplished that, so hope to be a more active participant in North Texas (at least for now) activities.

Thought I'd post up current status my project(s):

Up first, my unfinished resto-mod of a 1981 Yamaha XV920R.
It now sports:
- a '03 GSXR-750 front end (except wheel and rotors).
- CBR 600F2 wheel
- Thruxton-spec aftermarket semi-floating rotors
- a custom frame with integrated long-port tuned induction system
- GL1100 intake manifolds with injector bungs
- CBR600F4 swingarm with custom linkage to Buell shock/spring
- CBR900RR rear wheel and brakes

naked%20left%20side.jpg

naked%20right%20side.jpg

Bodywork hung on temporarily

cleanxvoem1.jpg

My second project was born a month or so ago, when it became clear my main project would not be anywhere near finished this spring. Looking around, I saw I had enough accumulated junk, er, I mean VALUABLE PARTS to throw together a quick and dirty daily driver.

So, I took a 1983 Virago engine and frame, did a little surgery, fitted some cast-off Yamaha XJ750R bodywork, topped it off with a hand-bent tailpiece, rattle-canned the thing, and viola:

rights10.jpg

leftsi10.jpg

rear210.jpg

Rode it into work this afternoon, it sure feels good to be back in the sadlle after... whoa... WAY too long.

My second project was born a month or so ago, when it became clear my main project would not be anywhere near finished this spring. Looking around, I saw I had enough accumulated junk, er, I mean VALUABLE PARTS to throw together a quick and dirty daily driver.

So, I took a 1983 Virago engine and frame, did a little surgery, fitted some cast-off Yamaha XJ750R bodywork, topped it off with a hand-bent tailpiece, rattle-canned the thing, and viola:

Rode it into work this afternoon, it sure feels good to be back in the sadlle after... whoa... WAY too long.

Thats awesome. You just threw together a cool bike. You wouldn't happen to have all the parts to throw together a b-king for me just laying around?:mrgreen:

Thanks. Yes, I was at Cars and Coffee. An impressive display of hardware. Hope those fancy highbrow cars weren't mean to my girl in her home-made dress...

I thought I saw that bike. I was there on my Ducati, but I parked across the street.

Well, (really) minor update, I finally got my shed fully enclosed, sold off my garage-time-consuming older cages for a new one, so will hopefully start making progress on the XV920R resto-mod. In the meantime, I found a cheap Supertrapp can on Craigslist, made a 2:1 collector, and mounted it on the frankenbike. Man, it sure sounds better than the OEM exhaust, while not being too loud.
bikepics-2142976-full.jpg

bikepics-2210099-800.jpg

Well, another minor update. I needed the tail light back for my turbo bike, and I ruined my cheapo battery during the hot spell this summer (yup, I was a wimp and let it sit in the garage for 3 weeks...).

So I re-did the tail cowl around one of those nifty Shorai batterys (on its side) and the XV920RH tail light. Since I had to paint the new tail, I decided on a new paint scheme:
bikepics-2306725-full.jpg
bikepics-2306726-full.jpg

bikepics-2306725-full.jpg

bikepics-2318578-full.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's terrific! I'm awed by the mad skillz that make a street-legal and running bike from random pieces. Well done! :clap:

The new paint job is nice! Rattle can, you say? :trust:

Thanks! I'm liking it a lot. Yes, the color coat is Duplicolor "Metal Speck Ocean Blue" rattle-can, but the clearcoat is a proper automotive catalyzed urethane.

Back