• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Ride and Camp to North Carolina

• Thread starter Deleted member 28380
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28380

Last month I rode my Yamaha FJR to the 2018 Vstrom Gathering at the Ironhorse Motorcycle lodge in Stecoah, North Carolina. First day I went along I 10 to 610 and went by Houston towards Livingston and then headed east towards Alexandria and Natchez, MS. From there it was up the Trace 54 miles to the Rocky Springs Campground. A six hundred mile day with a couple of sandwich breaks. Next morning I packed my gear and headed for I20 and up to Tennessee. For some reason I cannot remember what I ate that day except for a couple of bananas purchased in gas stations. From there I planned to take highway 74/64 up to highway 28 and the Lodge, but the road was closed and the gps routed me to the Tail of the Dragon (I did not know that at the time) which I rode after 550 miles already, but I still got kind of lost and ended up camping at the Cable Cove campground in the Nantahala Forest, about 12 miles from the Lodge.

The Strom Gathering was quieter this year compared to 14 when I attended for the first time, also on my FJR. My 2011 Vstrom DL650 has over 47,000 miles, but I prefer the Yamaha for long distances. The riding, as always, was stellar and I even managed to get a few photos of our group in action on the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Three nights in my tent and I left early Sunday morning for Texas.

42245584222_3e703f705d_b.jpg

Riding the Cherohala Skyway

I basically retraced my return route and headed, once again, for the Rocky Springs Campground. The issue I faced this day was lack of sleep since I woke up early and stayed awake. For the first time I worried I might fall asleep while riding the 600 miles back to my preferred campsite. Now the interesting thing for me was that I ended up camped across from an empty tent and what should pull up a little later but another rider on a GS. The same thing happened in 14. We spent some time talking while dodging the rain that caught me good on the way down from I 20. He was an older rider like me, but fairly new at it. Sounded like he was having a good time. I slept well enough and the next morning I cruised down the Trace towards Natchez and breakfast.

Now I can finally talk about something to eat on the road. It is sort of a pet peeve of mine that the most convenient places to eat are fast food and chains, but I only really like Dennys or local places. Now the food at the Lodge is pretty good, but on the first day back I ate my snacks only and a plain double burger at Wendys.

In Natchez my gps led me to a place called the "Coffee Co." I really enjoyed the friendly greetings and good food here as I sat outside with my boots off. Leaving Natchez I headed back for Alexandria and then Livingston, TX, 50 miles or so north east of Houston. I was headed for Lake Livingston State Park but first I stopped at a Shell station because it was raining and I was looking for something to take with me. Turns out there was a Dickeys BBQ there with a space in the Shell store. The pulled pork Western with a couple of links thrown on did the trick when consumed with gusto after getting a campsite in the nearly empty Park. The next morning I braved the Houston traffic on 610 until I returned to I 10 where I headed for the little town of Schulenburg and the "Oakridge Smokehouse Restaurant", a place I also visited in 14 for breakfast. However, by the time I arrived they were bringing out the lunch buffet so I had that.

So for a ride East from South Texas I can recommend the Ironhorse Motorcyle lodge (camping $20 per night) the Cable Cove Campground ($10, but soon 15) and the Rocky Springs Campground (No fee). Also the three restaurants. The Trace is an oasis for me though I only ride it an hour or so at a time. I like to camp at the Rocky Springs site located on the trace around milepost 54. That first night after 600 miles the air was muggy and as still as I have ever remembered air to be. A number of frogs were making a racket a few sites down from mine and an owl hooted for a half hour. It was the first time I had heard such a thing.

:tab I stayed off the interstates, but I've made that same trip several times.

:tab One time in particular was in horrendous rain for hours and hours as I headed across Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. At the end of the day I had done about 760 miles. My rain gear did quite well, but after a while rain like that is just gonna get through. My boots were completely full. I stopped under cover at a little country gas station in the middle of nowhere, removed my boots, and poured their contents on the ground. There were several older guys sitting on some benches just outside the door of the store and they were looking at me like I was insane or had just beamed down from the Mother Ship because of the way I was dressed. It was worth it though because once you reach Northern Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina, the riding is just spectacular! :rider:

:tab On one return trip, in August, I had a stretch coming into Louisiana and heading to Alexandria where I couldn't remember the past hour or so. I wasn't feeling great when we left The Crossroads of Time at Deal's Gap. It got up into the high 90s. When I finally snapped back to reality and realized I had been riding on auto pilot for over an hour, it really freaked me out. My buddy wanted to keep going because he likes to ride tank to tank without stopping in between, but I insisted I needed a break. After something to eat and drink, and also cooling off, I felt MUCH better! I had only been riding for a few years at that time and had never experienced anything like that before. Lesson learned. I now stay well hydrated and take a break about every 100 miles or so whether I think I need it or not. I just get off the bike, walk around, stretch, etc,... for just a few minutes. It also makes a BIG difference in how I feel at the end of the day in terms of stiffness and soreness!

Back