• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My side projects.

I'm getting a lot of white smoke when revving and under load. She bogs down when I try to take off.

I think she's getting to much fuel but there's only two adjustment screws. One for idle and another I'm guessing is an air needle.

I'm getting a lot of white smoke when revving and under load. She bogs down when I try to take off.

I think she's getting to much fuel but there's only two adjustment screws. One for idle and another I'm guessing is an air needle.

Is there any way to increase the intake air?

The stock jets (main & slow) were smaller so I swapped those in. Seemed to help some but she still wants to bog down when under load.

Also checked the timing. Seems to be good.

Like Tim said.. pull the filter and see what it does( be sure the engine's warmed up). Next, make sure the pipe isn't clogged up with dirt. Dirt Daubers love exhaust pipes! That will make it run rich.

Hmm. Then I'd check for exhaust blockage, as Rman suggested.

Also, are you sure your premix doesn't have too much oil in it?

Patched the tires, lubed the bearings (they were all tight), rode her for awhile. Still gutless but running.

Ride vid tomorrow.

Still no vid. I was sick all last weekend and the work week kept me worn out. I did get a vid but when I was editing it the program froze and I lost the file so I'll get another vid.

I got another problem now. The carb is leaking fuel out the bottom of the bowl. Its a vent and the tube inside goes way up so the think is just filling up with fuel I'm guessing. It just started this today and has NEVER done it before till now.

Still doesnt wanna run without out choke set some, but doesnt run well. Anything over 1/8 throttle she bogs.

I adjusted the valves but they weren't that loose. Cam chain looks nice.

I turned the intake & carb around to how its suppose to and now when it cranks over it just full revs. I have to turn her off. Adjusting the screws does nothing.

I haven't done anything else from what I've already done. I didn't bend any part of the float. The float needle is seating correctly. I guess I'm gonna have to bend the float tabs so is doesnt fill up so much.

I'll check the timing again tomorrow.

I think I figured out the rough running and having to have the choke on. The replacement carb I have has a bigger venturi than the stock one. About 4mm or more bigger and its oblong shaped instead of round.

Gonna try the bigger jets that came with it again. May need even a bigger main jet.

Gonna keep my eyes open for a stock carb but it isn't gonna be easy finding one of those.

Still no vid. I was sick all last weekend and the work week kept me worn out. I did get a vid but when I was editing it the program froze and I lost the file so I'll get another vid.

I got another problem now. The carb is leaking fuel out the bottom of the bowl. Its a vent and the tube inside goes way up so the think is just filling up with fuel I'm guessing. It just started this today and has NEVER done it before till now.

>> stuck float (tap it), float too high, or needle above float bad

Still doesnt wanna run without out choke set some, but doesnt run well. Anything over 1/8 throttle she bogs.

>> main jet problem. Clean out jet gently.

I adjusted the valves but they weren't that loose. Cam chain looks nice.

I turned the intake & carb around to how its suppose to and now when it cranks over it just full revs. I have to turn her off. Adjusting the screws does nothing.

>>Slide is in backwards

I haven't done anything else from what I've already done. I didn't bend any part of the float. The float needle is seating correctly. I guess I'm gonna have to bend the float tabs so is doesnt fill up so much.

>>agree

I'll check the timing again tomorrow.

I also suggest turning off the petcock when not in use. Did any gas get into the oil during overflow? Replace oil again.

Remember on the idle there is a speed screw and an idle mixture. Set the idle mixture to 1.5 turns then speed screw to proper idle.

Looks like a fun project.

I would also check for an air leak between the carb and the manifold. Let it run and spray the gaps with wd-40 and if the rpm changes, you found a leak. Too much air will cause a high speed bog.

The carb is new. Everything is clean. I added a filter to the line. Throttle cylinder is operating correctly and so is throttle cable.

The main problem is the venturi is bigger so it changed the air flow. I bought a used carb off a XL and it looks exactly the same as the CL one. There's another on one ebay cheap locally so I'll if the dude will end the auction.

Got a surpise.I'll post pics after I'm done later on.

Got the new tubes/tires on. They are Shinkos 244's.

HondaCL70newtires1.jpg

HondaCL70newtires2.jpg

Haven't done much since I'm getting frustrated that she's not running correctly.

I just got done replacing some seals, draining oil, and replacing the point. Tomorrow I'll replace the condensor and recheck the valve clearances.

I'm still waiting on some oem parts which include some spark plugs. So that would be nice if they showed up tomorrow.

I just cant get her running right and she smokes so gonna start taking the engine apart and see what needs to be done.

I have to see certain parts of the insides to know if I can bore the engine (short rod, is it this or that, etc) and I may order a new head with bigger valves/cam. Just gonna start new and hope she runs right then.

Putting windows in a church in a small town and wouldnt know. 500ft away is a Honda CL70 sitting on a porch. LOL Gonna ask tomorrow if they want to get rid of it.

I need to slow down some on her cause I'm getting burnt out. Won a new honda manual for it (new as in printed in this decade :lol2: ) and should have the engine fully apart this weekend.

Not gonna order any engine parts until I have everything apart for inspection.

Back