• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Triumph(ant) Weekend

Reaction score
I had a chance to sample several Triumph motorcycles Saturday.

I test rode a Speedmaster, a Bobber Black, and a Thruxton RS. It was really good fun.

The Speedmaster felt a little slow. The Thruxton disappointed me (but I might need to spend more time in the saddle). The Bobber Black really surprised me and ended up being my favorite. It felt really composed and definitely had more power than the Speedmaster. Lots of grunt and lots of fun.

EtBlcabW4AIrCIj?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

EtBlgKMXcAMVQ5W?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

EtBljVUWMAA3-TJ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

EtBlmPjXIAAPJpC?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I thought the bobber and speedmaster had the same engine, tune and sprockets. I know the chassis is a little different. I wonder why the speed felt slower. What disappointed you about the thruxton? I'm assuming you don't mean the engine.

I thought the bobber and speedmaster had the same engine, tune and sprockets. I know the chassis is a little different. I wonder why the speed felt slower. What disappointed you about the thruxton? I'm assuming you don't mean the engine.
I didn't get to check what mode the Speedmaster was in. May be it was in rain mode and therefore felt more sluggish. That would be my explanation. The Bobber Black felt more planted. It was more rigid (thicker forks), the suspension was stiffer, and I was leaning over the bike more which gave me more control. I didn't care for the feet forward position on the Speedmaster. I could definitely see replacing the handlebar with clip ons on the Bobber Black. I think it would still be comfortable. Or just put mid controls on the Speedmaster and a nice windshield. It definitely needs a windshield. I've never been a cruiser guy but they won me over.

As for the Thruxton, my expectations may have been too high. My knees were bent a little too much. I was holding the bike between my legs but I couldn't hug the tank with my knees due to its narrowness. It was a strange feeling. I guess the riding position didn't fit me that well. The bike seemed happier above 5,000 rpm but I was a little disappointed by the power delivery. May be the chassis is too good?

I tried a Speed Twin last year: dealer put it in rain mode, it was dead as a cold turtle and they lost a potential sale.

I rode a Bonneville T120 about a year ago and was a little disappointed in the power. I had to give it more throttle than I expected to make it perform. I don’t know if it was in rain mode or just that much slower than my Tiger 800.

I wanted a Speedmaster at one point (I have to have a cruiser). When I rode one, I found that the vibration really made my hands fall asleep. I still like them.

I didn't get to check what mode the Speedmaster was in. May be it was in rain mode and therefore felt more sluggish. That would be my explanation. The Bobber Black felt more planted. It was more rigid (thicker forks), the suspension was stiffer, and I was leaning over the bike more which gave me more control. I didn't care for the feet forward position on the Speedmaster. I could definitely see replacing the handlebar with clip ons on the Bobber Black. I think it would still be comfortable. Or just put mid controls on the Speedmaster and a nice windshield. It definitely needs a windshield. I've never been a cruiser guy but they won me over.

As for the Thruxton, my expectations may have been too high. My knees were bent a little too much. I was holding the bike between my legs but I couldn't hug the tank with my knees due to its narrowness. It was a strange feeling. I guess the riding position didn't fit me that well. The bike seemed happier above 5,000 rpm but I was a little disappointed by the power delivery. May be the chassis is too good?
The Thruxton riding position will make more sense when riding challenging roads at speed.

Another day, another test ride :rider:

I rode a Bobber Black and a Speemaster (not pictured). I think I am leaning toward the Speedmaster at this point. I saw a guy's Speedmaster at the Service Department. That bike was well setup. He had some bar risers on it (see pic below). Does anyone know who makes them?

Et1KO9BXYAIiixW?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Et1Kb8XXAAEEjcX?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I have been waiting for today. Why? Triumph announced its updated lineup for the classic bikes.
The Bobber has been given several upgrades I was considering. Same for the Speedmaster.
I am now heavily leaning toward a Bobber in red. Can’t wait to see one.

I test rode a Scrambler 1200 XC. Wow! It rides amazing! I didn't think a 500+ pound bike could feel so light. The only negative: the exhaust. It's just too darn hot. Zard makes a low exhaust but it's $1,500. So... Yeah...

James Bond never looked so cool. Is that movie ever coming out by the way?

EwYp9peW8AEgwu5?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

EwYqBVmXAAc1eXm?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

EwYqDkzXIAA0tGL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Back