• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My whirlwind trip to Spain (not a ride report, unfortunately)

Ana-
Thanks for the wonderful report. My employer's parent company is based in Madrid so I have had the opportunity to go there 3 times and travel by the AVE to Sevilla. You are right, Madrid seems to be getting "dirtier" and less safe each time I go. But I would not trade their Metro system for the world. And the AVE. From Madrid to Seville is heaven and extremely comfortable. The amazing thing is how much alike the Madrid, Zaragosa, and Sevilla train stations all look alike.

Thank you for the photos of Paris. They brought back some great memories of the trip Jay and I took there in 2006. We're actually hoping to get back there this year. And I want to know how you did Montmartre to the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame to the airport in such quick order.

Glad you had a great trip. Hopefully the trip did exactly what you set out to do.

Ana-
Thanks for the wonderful report. My employer's parent company is based in Madrid so I have had the opportunity to go there 3 times and travel by the AVE to Sevilla. You are right, Madrid seems to be getting "dirtier" and less safe each time I go. But I would not trade their Metro system for the world. And the AVE. From Madrid to Seville is heaven and extremely comfortable. The amazing thing is how much alike the Madrid, Zaragosa, and Sevilla train stations all look alike.

Thank you for the photos of Paris. They brought back some great memories of the trip Jay and I took there in 2006. We're actually hoping to get back there this year. And I want to know how you did Montmartre to the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame to the airport in such quick order.

Glad you had a great trip. Hopefully the trip did exactly what you set out to do.

It helps a lot when you're with someone that knows her way around the city! My friend had also prebought metro tickets, so it saved some time not having to stop and buy a ticket every time. We went from the subway station to the top of the hill on Montmartre the most direct way, which is kind of a back way, instead of climbing the steps that lead to the front of the basilica. Steeper, but quick. We came down back to the station the same way. Then took the metro to a station that connected to one of the RER lines, which has a station around the corner from the Eiffel tower. To go to the airport, I had to take the RER in the opposite direction and then change to another RER line. The station were I had to change trains to the other RER line happened to be right at Notre Dame, so it just worked out. There's no way I could have done all that on foot and be in time for my flight!

I'm bound to make it to Texas again before the year is out. Just not sure when it will be...might not be until December. In October I plan on Riding the Great River Road from Itasca State Park in Minnesota to Mississippi and maybe all the way to New Orleans.

There is plenty of contrast throughout the city between new, not so new and plain old:

The city might not be as known or popular as Madrid or Barcelona, but it certainly had its flair, leaving me pleasantly surprised at it beauty and the rich multi-cultural heritage it posseses...

You are right, there is plenty of unknown towns that could deserve a whole week for themselves. I grew up in Barcelona and being there I always gave for granted being able to visit all those places anytime. After 9 years in TX I miss those places a lot.

Thanks for sharing this report.

I enjoyed the perspective in many of your shots. You have a good eye. It looks like a judicious use of your precious days off. Thanks for sharing.

Wouldn't you have loved being in Spain tonight? After the match today, the nation must be dancing in the street.

You do have a way with the camera that brings a nice touch to your reports. Well done! :clap:

Ana - Thanks for posting the pictures and information regarding your trip. Beautiful photography.
Best Regards
BaddBob

Wouldn't you have loved being in Spain tonight? After the match today, the nation must be dancing in the street.
Or tonight would be even better. Congrats to the Spaniards.

During my Air Force days, we used to spend 3 week rotations flying KC-10s out of Zaragoza. We got to know the chaplain on the base, and used to get him to drive us to town for dinner. When you show up at a Spanish restaurant with a catholic priest, the service gets much better! I'd like to go back for some more paella, or to see Jesus the bartender, who poured scotch like it was free. The "spanish side" of the base had a huge dining room which was lined with wine casks. The waiters would refill plain green bottles and keep them on the tables while we had lunch. As you can tell, we had a lot of free time.

During my Air Force days, we used to spend 3 week rotations flying KC-10s out of Zaragoza. We got to know the chaplain on the base, and used to get him to drive us to town for dinner. When you show up at a Spanish restaurant with a catholic priest, the service gets much better! I'd like to go back for some more paella, or to see Jesus the bartender, who poured scotch like it was free. The "spanish side" of the base had a huge dining room which was lined with wine casks. The waiters would refill plain green bottles and keep them on the tables while we had lunch. As you can tell, we had a lot of free time.

Next time I'm over there I'll see if that works with nuns as well as for priests... One of my aunts is a nun, better known in the family as the "Tia Monja"....:trust:

Whoohoo!!! finally, after 44 years!!

I agree, there must be a BIG party going on all over the place right now!

Watched the match on ABC, had some shots of the fanzone in Madrid. What a party there! Congratulations indeed :sun:

Back