• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Natchez Trace to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Must see along the way?

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
I'm going to ride the Natchez Trace to see Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. I'm starting in Bryan, Tx. and probably going through Alexandria, La. on my way to the start in Natchez, Mo. and then ride the Trace to Kentucky. Any "must see" places or thing along the way? Recommended route back to visit interesting roads, places or sights. I have 11 days total due to a concert that I have to attend on May, 20 and my 47th anniversary that I must attend on June, 1. It's about 1,000 miles one way without side trips. There will be side trips.

Take your time on the Trace and hit the pull outs. There's lots of history to learn along the way. I liked stopping in Tupelo and visiting Elvis' birthplace and the museum they have there too.

Get reservations to go into Mammoth Cave. If you don't in advance, you might get there and find the tour you want is booked full.

When I road The Trace it was the opposite direction of you. I took 84 (mostly) from Natchez MS to Palestine before slabbing back to the house on 287. I missed a few turns in LA and would just keep going until I ended back at 84. Most of those roads were more fun than the one I was trying to stay on. The Trace is interesting, speed limits are low, but it is quiet and seems further away from civilization than it is. There are more historical stops than you will want to make. I found once on the Trace, I didn't really want to leave it. Everything east of the big river just seems so crowded.

Reactions: JMZ
I stopped at a few burial mounds and lewis and Clark monument. Weather in July made me bail off it in Jackson in favor of higher speeds all the way to cherraholla skyway and the smokies. I caught the Nashville to Jackson leg on the way back in 50 degree rain. Definitley make a reservation for mammoth cave, I could only walk the edges of it. I also wished I would've seen the Corvette museum. I did explore muscle shoals which was kind of a neat place with all the history. I just rode without a plan and stopped when I wanted. Don't script I too much and hwv big fun

Reactions: JMZ
I rode the Trace back in 2015 & apart from the 40 mph speed limit, it was pretty cool. And no, I didn't observe the posted speed limit. Burial mounds & parts of the original Trace are often sites to see along the Trace.

If you like history & haven't gone woke, check out the Vicksburg National Military Park. Lots of Civil War history there documented with monuments, battlefields, dedications, etc. I also sought out the birth & burial places of a few Blues legends... Muddy Waters, B.B. King & Robert Johnson.

And depending on how much time you have & what direction you take getting to your destination, I recommend touring the Barber Motorpsorts Museum, it's awesome & totally worth it!!

Last edited:
The Lewis and Clark monument is pretty cool.

I am related to Meriweather Lewis in some way that I don't remember, so it was pretty special for me. I would love to take another trip up the Natchez Trace.

As for speed limits, it's easy to go faster, but be aware it's fairly well patrolled. And at Dusk the critters really come out.

Yeah I forgot about the critters I must have counted a hundred wild turkeys along the route

Thanks everyone. Lewis and Clark, Corvette Museum and pullouts are added. I've been to Barber several times so I'm going to miss that one.

I forgot about Vicksburg Battlefield that someone else mentioned. A good detour if you are interested in our Civil War.

Back