• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

National Hare and Hound (NHHA) will partner with The Mint 400 for round three of the 2020 season

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
Last edited:
@Johnf3 , reading up on this a little, but still not sure how far the over 60 group races, distance wise, can you enlighten me? Thanks

@Johnf3 , reading up on this a little, but still not sure how far the over 60 group races, distance wise, can you enlighten me? Thanks

Over 60 rides the first loop. Less than 40 miles total, but a really fun loop--a mix of fast, rough more open stuff and then some tighter stuff through the mesquite trees (bushes, really here in West Texas). You are welcome to stay down in my camp, which will give you access to electricity and not worry about having to find a spot. Also, if you want to ride more than that, if you come in on Saturday I will try and get loose for a couple hours of riding with you and show you the property. If you need a reference on me (ha) ask RG or Vinny. I think they have had a good time riding out here with us once or twice. I have a commitment Saturday to run all the kids races, but there is always time to sneak in a good trail ride with friends.

If anyone else wants to come, I have room for a couple of extra campers, maybe two camper vehicles or so. There will be plenty of room to camp in the contestant camp too, but we will have a fire at night, etc. and that is not allowed in the contestant camp.

One more thing, but I have to mention that our conditions, as far as soil moisture, should be very very good.. We have several inches of snow soak in last week, and rain this week for two more days. This is our third year to put this race on, and the last two were total drought conditions, and everyone still had fun, so this should dial up the fun factor some!

One thing again, search Facebook for NHHA Racing and you will get some more up to date info. Also, ask me anything here and I can answer for you.

Last edited:
I doubt I'd ride Saturday, lol, my ole knee will do good to do 40 miles Sunday. Appreciate the offer. Not sure I can get off but considering this or the enduro.

By looking at results, doesn't seem like many from Texas supported the race. I imagine some west Tx guys but i only saw 1 TORCS name that i recognized and he got 4th pro, great job by Ryan.

Question for @Johnf3, was 2nd loop different or was it fatigue that made the lap times so different from 1st lap to 2nd?

Cycle News write up

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Thanks for posting that Sander. The feedback our club race director got from Joe Wasson, who won the race, was that the Texas round is his favorite. That makes the hard work worthwhile. One thing that we have not figured out is our failure to attract any Texas riders. I know it was the same weekend as Dallas SX, but there is always going to be some type of conflict to overcome.

The condition Sunday were perfect. No dust to speak of, and that allowed the top four guys to line up nose to tail 100% on the gas for the first 40 miles, until Jacob Argubright crashed pretty hard.

I was standing about 20 feet from that picture (the inset photo on the first page) that famous moto photographer Mark Kariya took of Wasson on the gas.

By looking at results, doesn't seem like many from Texas supported the race. I imagine some west Tx guys but i only saw 1 TORCS name that i recognized and he got 4th pro, great job by Ryan.

Question for @Johnf3, was 2nd loop different or was it fatigue that made the lap times so different from 1st lap to 2nd?

Hi Rob,
Sorry I missed your post earlier today. Yes--Mr. Grantom is very fast and made a very nice showing. The second loop was more technical and slower. It was also longer. The north and northeast ends of our property are in the Caprock formation, so we have completely different terrain in those areas. The second loop visited those areas. Both loops were completely different. Riders did not ride the same trail twice. After the first loop and the gas stop, we ran them up over a very technical rock formation, probably a 50 yard climb, then straight back down. Myself and the race director actually put that section in at the last minute on Saturday evening, and it turned out to be a great spectator spot, as it was the very first thing they hit coming out of the Pits.

We have even more technical trail that we have never used for the National Hare and Hound. The issue being that most of the classes run the full course and there is no way to make an "A" split like we can do in Enduro racing.

To be honest, there is a reason that the top American Dakar guys come out of the NHHA series. They can flat out ride. It is impressive to watch.

I am not sure what to say about Texas riders and local riders. I do not want to be negative at all. However, the truth is that we had almost zero of those riders come out to ride. The NHHA leadership group loves us and the race we put on, but we are at a crossroads because of rider turnout. We had riders from California, Utah, Idaho, etc. and only a handful of Texas riders.

Last edited:
I am not sure what to say about Texas riders and local riders. I do not want to be negative at all. However, the truth is that we had almost zero of those riders come out to ride. The NHHA leadership group loves us and the race we put on, but we are at a crossroads because of rider turnout. We had riders from California, Utah, Idaho, etc. and only a handful of Texas riders.

There's lots of excuses, lol. Mine, there's only 2 of us on the range, he had already asked me to cover for him last weekend, being fairly new I didn't feel good in asking someone from office to cover for me. It does suk that I've not had a Saturday off since July, oh well.

I bet some of the problem for southeast Tx, guys I mentioned it to, it's almost as far for Houston to Post is as it is from Arizona, lol. Austin and Dallas are closer. What I've noticed in Texas, guys race their series and it's hard to get them out of their comfort zone, you have TORCS, TSCEC, and TORN racers, some venture between series but most do their series and are happy doing just that. I mentioned it to several guys, got the shoulder shrug. It's a shame, from the guys that I know that raced it, said it was great, challenging, but great.

Sorry you guys can't get the turnout you deserve.

I feel special, lol, Ryan won my little event I put on in January and finished 4th in a National. A little connection there and my event which he ran ironman in was 4 hours, little more than the amount of time he raced H&H. Pretty cool, lol.

Hope y'all get another shot at it. I'll recruit harder if you do.

I think woodsguy summed it up very well. It seems most guys pick a series and find their spot where they can get a trophy and settle in to that group. They just don't seem to want to take any chances on getting dusted by better riders in different terrain, groups etc, hard on their egos sometimes. Like someone mentioned, they just don't want to get too far from mommy and the comfort zone. I am in the very SE corner of TX and can find zero guys to travel to the west TX events. My 30+ year riding travel buddy is no longer with us and no one else will take his place. I understand it is hard getting home at 1--2 am, unloading and trying to get some sleep before heading to work but the fun and memories we gained was worth it totally. We loved the western TX terrain, so much different and fun after bouncing off pine trees in the east. I also hear the TORCS promoter say he can't get his HS guys to hardly get away from Austin, any real drive has them staying home.

And he's right, some would cry or not come, when they had to come to Sterling.

It is worth the trip out there just to ride the LTR property out there in Post. Fantastic riding even for the old and slow.

It is worth the trip out there just to ride the LTR property out there in Post. Fantastic riding even for the old and slow.
Yes it is. The U Lazy S ranch just on the outskirts of Post wax another prime riding spot, wish we still had it available.

Back