• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

National Parks Tour... on a 125 Super Cub

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
A friend of mine in NY (soon to be an AZ resident) is prepping for his 30+ day trip to visit a few National Parks, and yes, he will be doing it on his new Super Cub.

r9AC88MKY02XhXDww7zFBv7o_aI&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

90IWAMvJ-LLfTmgjojbZu3UBDVA&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

Very cool. My butt hurts thinking of riding my 125 like that lol Will he be documenting his trip, and where?

Very cool. My butt hurts thinking of riding my 125 like that lol Will he be documenting his trip, and where?
Most likely on his FB page. If he shares a SpotWalla link I can paste his travels into this thread.

Maximus... no clue if he will or not, but he is an IBA rider so he understands how grueling this will be. He's had the Cub for a number of months now so he's had plenty of time to spend riding it and getting used to it. By the way, in 2001 there were two 125cc bikes that completed the Iron Butt Rally. So if they could do 11,000+ miles in 11 days, Rick shouldn't have any issues with much lower miles each day. And I'm pretty sure he's said that it won't be done in one single trip. He does already have a home out here so I would imagine he'll probably pause while here.

For all I know he may have had a RDL seat put on it for the trip. :lol2: He will primarily be on secondary roads and he has no particular need to be anywhere at any specific time. Once he does this he'll be starting on his Ushuaia to Deadhorse ride in 2020 or 2021, but he'll use his regular ADV bike for that one.

Look up C90Adventures on Youtube. The guy's name is Ed March.

He rode a C90 Super Cub from Malaysia to the U.K. solo, then from Alaska to Argentina with his then girlfriend Rachel Lasham, also on a C90. They started at Prudhoe Bay, rode down to Canada, crossed the Canadian Prairies in winter time to Newfoundland, road down the east coast to the start of the TAT, then rode the TAT across the U.S. before heading south to Argentina. They went their separate ways after completing the TAT, but both eventually made it all the way down to Ushuaia.

And people think I am crazy riding my CT90 from Brenham to Bastrop lol

Look up C90Adventures on Youtube. The guy's name is Ed March.

He rode a C90 Super Cub from Malaysia to the U.K. solo, then from Alaska to Argentina with his then girlfriend Rachel Lasham, also on a C90. They started at Prudhoe Bay, rode down to Canada, crossed the Canadian Prairies in winter time to Newfoundland, road down the east coast to the start of the TAT, then rode the TAT across the U.S. before heading south to Argentina. They went their separate ways after completing the TAT, but both eventually made it all the way down to Ushuaia.

And people think I am crazy riding my CT90 from Brenham to Bastrop lol
I watched quite a few of the episodes. The guy is kinda weird but I had to watch. When they went to Moab it was almost unbelievable.

A few years ago on ADV, I followed a married couple who rode around the world on a pair of 90cc step-throughs - Simbas, I believe. If you can ride Africa and Asia on a 90, you can do the States on a 125.

Why would he not finish?

I would think it's all about allotting enough time. It's certainly doable. Just eyeballing the route, it looks to be better than 5,000 miles. 5K miles in 30 days is only an average of 167 miles per day, and the post actually says 30+ days. So the endurance factor isn't about 1000-mile days - it's about fairly short rides, but doing it over and over and over. I think it sounds like a great adventure.

Anybody have any idea what a reasonable cruising speed is for a 125cc Cub?

I would think it's all about allotting enough time. It's certainly doable. Just eyeballing the route, it looks to be better than 5,000 miles. 5K miles in 30 days is only an average of 167 miles per day, and the post actually says 30+ days. So the endurance factor isn't about 1000-mile days - it's about fairly short rides, but doing it over and over and over. I think it sounds like a great adventure.

Anybody have any idea what a reasonable cruising speed is for a 125cc Cub?
50-55mph if I remember correctly.

According to the ADV forum, 45 is a good cruising speed when the bike is all loaded up.

I'm not sure 55 mph is cruising speed for the Super Cub. I'd say 45-50 mph. That's where the GROM and Monkey are.
I assumed the 17" wheel on the cub would render a higher top speed than the little wheel hondas with the same engine

I assumed the 17" wheel on the cub would render a higher top speed than the little wheel hondas with the same engine
Gearing would have a bigger effect.
My 125 Yamaha adventure bike has 18" wheels with skinny tires front and rear. It cruises 55 mph two up and will wring out to 60 mph two up. Solo and unloaded I can do 70 mph. Now I know those speeds are mostly in the gearing because when I hit steep mountain roads that changes drastically.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

That makes all my bones hurt just thinking about it. At my age life is way too short not to be comfortable, especially on a trip like that. Enjoy!

That makes all my bones hurt just thinking about it. At my age life is way too short not to be comfortable, especially on a trip like that. Enjoy!

From the Iron Butt FB page.

Just completed my first IBA SS1000 and BB1500 this past weekend on my 2015 Honda Grom. Organizing all my paperwork and receipts/logs for 23 fuel stops for submission and official approval.

vsD2eEzySF-dDGnP4uZzz1uCnrs&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

Wapn90qv0tC2J_-5657wu92cFdM&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

:eek:

He's currently at Cape Cod visiting family. From there he'll begin riding up to Maine, and then west to Washington state and then down the coast. My guess is that he'll end here in Phoenix where he owns a home as he said he plans to fly back to NY on 11/9. This should be interesting to watch.

And so it begins. He left today headed to the west coast. He's expecting no more than 250 miles per day.

This is why he might "finish". I'm not sure what that means since we all decide along the journey when to change plans and stuff always comes up. Having a couple of ct90s, my experience is that it is very fun until you are on roads that have you are constantly checking the mirrors. 100 - 150 miles is a long day for me being mostly dirt at 20 mph.

How far will he get? For me, as long as you are still enjoying it, keep going. I'll watch this with great interest.

Last edited:
This is why he might "finish".
To be clear, he intends to get to the west coast, meander over to Scottsdale where he has a place, park it and fly back to NY, and then pick up the rest of the trip at a later time. He's well aware that Yellowstone has already had snow, so route planning will be on the fly as the conditions change.

Texas T, is your friend traveling light (motels and cafes) or camping? I'm curious about the weight and volume of his gear, how he is going to attach it and how well his Honda carries it. I have spent some time riding back roads on a loaned 100CC Honda. Going uphill I had plenty of time to inspect individual trees and admire the grass growing on the side of the road. I did a 300 plus mile day trip on my Kawasaki KLX 250 awhile back. It would cruise at 70 but the wind was a lot more comfortable at 50. Went on reserve at 70 miles consistently. Then finding a gas station was top priority. The seat became very painful the last few hours.

I know it's been done many times but it's still an epic journey.

Back