• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NC700x

JQ1.0

Reaction score
I was asked about the NC700X as a large dual sport and due to 420 character limitation in pm thought I would put it here. This is not a review, just my reply.

I really like the 700. I think it is a really good at dirt road, gravel and commuting and light touring. I just recently bought a Tracer 900 GT in search of the Unicorn (CC, adjustable suspension, heated grips etc.). I am keeping the NC. Parked side by side if I want to run into town I'll take the NC. My oldest son rode it in the twisties in Arkansas over the weekend and he made the comment that it was so easy to ride. It has a great torque curve. On the highway you have to plan passing if up in the 65+ mph range. Cruising at 85 - 90 on the interstate is no problem if you don't have a strong headwind. I rode it from Graham to California up into Oregon and Washington State and back to Graham last year, about 6300 miles. My only complaint was riding into a strong headwind I could only maintain about 73 mph in 6th. I could drop to 5th and run 85 no problem. That was fully loaded with side and top cases and an extra gallon of gas. I usually get right at 64 mpg regardless of how I am riding. After I drop the radiator I can check and adjust the valves in about 30 min. Recently my mileage dropped to about 54 mpg and it was about time to check my valves again. 3 valves were just on the tight side and I adjusted to spec and mileage came right back to 64 mpg. I only have about 30,000 miles on it, but I have had zero issues with it.

"Large Dual Sport" depends on what you call dual sport. For me I think of dual sport as the Clayton/K-Trail, the New Mexico BDR, Continental Divide ride. For those rides it would be a no for me. At my age just too heavy for me in that type of riding. However with proper skid plate I think it is capable of the NM BDR and most of the Continental Divide. Kevin (MisterK on the forum) took his NC DCT on the CDR 2 years ago and he said it did great. Last year on my West Coast trip I did the Burr Trail Road in Utah. That is the roughest I have taken it. Wasn't very long but very wash boarded and several switchbacks climbing out to the top. The rocky washboard beat me up pretty good and the steep switchbacks with loose rocks and gravel was kind of sketchy on the loaded bike. The same road on my DR650 would have been a piece of cake.

I think the East Texas 500 and the like would be where the NC shines. Rocky elevation changes not so much. Hope this helps.

I had a lot of fun on ours on dirt roads.

Fun trying to keep up with JQ1.0 on dirt roads on his NC700X as well.

Back