• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston - Atascocita/Humble area riders!

OK. Good ride yesterday! It was a bit warm. I think Drmototx saw a temp of 99 at one point, but we tried to keep moving, and actually made a couple of extra stops and drank more water and gatorade. Seemed like the right thing to do. Drmototx and I stopped at the end to fill up in Atascocita and spoke to a woman that came out of the store, saying that we must love riding! Then she said that she rode, but it was too hot to ride. It's never too hot to ride! :rider: She didn't seem to agree, but she showed me a pic of her Ducati... I think she had already had a few too many to drink.

The ride. Drmototx showed up with his newly tweaked suspension and the VFR all dialed in. Sounds like the month or so of maintenance was a success! Great to have you back out on the road again. Next ride, I'll have to get you out to Colmesneil, or if the schedule is good, we can get you and Cello out and do the Brenham route in full that cut short a few weeks ago. Maybe another San Augustine run will have to be in the cards soon as well. It looks like I'll need to go searching for parts for my bike so I can do that valve check... It sounds like BikeBandit isn't going to come through... On the way home, I didn't wear my ear plugs, and I noticed some clattering... sounds like it's time for a new chain and sprockets too. I may end up with a couple of weeks of downtime when I get all my parts in...

SilverBullet keeps traveling... but it was great that the stars aligned and we got him out again for the ride!

I think that word got out on the ride... It was like there was an organized effort to make sure we never got to the speed limit on the curves! It was kind of comical, actually... we would finally get past these guys at 10 to20 under the limit, and look up, and another slowbee is pulling out.... arrrrrgggggh! Pretty much, 1485 was really slow. The turning light wouldn't change We got clear once, got 1/2 of a curve, and then there is a fire truck and cop, helping a guy that slide his SUV into the massive ditch (1484). OK... and the front end loader in the road... 3090 was good. We followed a bike and a Ferarri from 3090 and 149 for a bit, but they were really moving. 149 was pretty decent.

Something to note: 244 coming south from 3090 to 149 near Anderson. Gravel! I don't remember seeing a road sign for loose gravel, but it was pretty significant for the last couple of miles before we hit 149. The "tracks" were clear, but if you got off the tracks, it could be bad. The color of the gravel blends in well, so it's not obvious, but watch it if you're riding down 244!

We also came by a crash. Looked like an ADV busted up in the grass off of 1725, just south of the biker bar... don't remember the name, but it has been open, closed for a while, open again... Froggers? There were emergency vehicles, and several other bikes parked around, and the EMTs had the rider on a board... didn't look like a good situation. We met the ambulance coming up the road a few minutes later. Hope the rider is ok!

Good roads, great guys to ride with, and a few challenges, but a good time regardless! It was a lot more fun than the yard work that was waiting for me when I got home, though!

Steve that was a newer BMW GS wadded up into the fence at Froggers on FM1725. Bike was destroyed, rear wheel and swingarm in separate pieces and not a single plastic piece intact. Like it had exploded.

I also noticed 4 wheeled vehicle tracks going off the corner apex just 20 ft before jfink's memorial (RIP 😢😭) on FM149. Tracks stopped at a downed and run over traffic sign.

Lastly, I believe we passed by this below video spot, looks like FM1097 in Willis @ I-45. If it's not too hot to ride then it's not too hot to dance. LOL

The ride. Drmototx showed up with his newly tweaked suspension and the VFR all dialed in. Sounds like the month or so of maintenance was a success! Great to have you back out on the road again. . Next ride, I'll have to get you out to Colmesneil, or if the schedule is good, we can get you and Cello out and do the Brenham route in full that cut short a few weeks ago. Maybe another San Augustine run will have to be in the cards soon as well.
OH... I forgot. Cello would have hated this ride. No GPS fails and no unplanned u-turns. :bigokay:
Hahahah, it’s not a great ride until I throw my hands up at the third uturn :p

But if we plan another run, it needs to be a break every 30-45 minutes. None of this two and a half hour mess in the heat! My sweat glands need a refill every now and then.

Also good riding, it had been too long for me. I'm with you, never too hot (or too cold) for me.

BTW, at our last water stop my display showed 113°F after soaking in the sun for 10 munutes. Don't know where the sensor is located though, probably the airbox so higher than ambient.

Well, missed catching up with you guys again. Intended to join yall but the "Service" banner came up unexpectedly on my scooter when I got it out to check it over Thursday. No apparent problems but it wouldn't go away. Took it in yesterday. No codes. Everything OK. Just an apparent gremlin screwing up my plans. Maybe next time. Glad yall had a good ride.

Well, missed catching up with you guys again. Intended to join yall but the "Service" banner came up unexpectedly on my scooter when I got it out to check it over Thursday. No apparent problems but it wouldn't go away. Took it in yesterday. No codes. Everything OK. Just an apparent gremlin screwing up my plans. Maybe next time. Glad yall had a good ride.
I'll have to double check my front sprocket noise, but I'm thinking a ride coming next weekend! I did a Colmesneil loop solo a couple weeks ago. We might be able to catch up with you on that one!

Need to check that chain first...

Yep, the heat didn’t bother me until we stopped! Haha! Good ride and good company. Might as well plan a lunch stop with the temps as high as they are climbing. We can soak up some A/C while we hydrate! Haha!

Would next weekend work for a Colmesneil ride? It looks like this weekend is a bust. I think I may be making the Yamaha shop tour around the Houston area on Saturday, looking for parts. I need to find chain, sprockets, and a retainer washer so I can get the chain replaced. I'm thinking it should be replaced before the next ride. As much noise as it was making at the end of the last ride, I think it needs done. While I'm out, maybe I can find some of those parts that I've been waiting on for 2 months that I'll need to do the valve check...

That weekend I wouldn’t be able to make. That’s my on call weekend for the month. Also though, pretty much every weekend that I’m off in July and August is already spoken for between family vacations, lake trips and taking my kid to summer camps.

Looks like my parts hunting will be next weekend, so I guess it's going to be a couple weeks before I'm on the road again. My aunt passed Friday morning, so I'm on the road to the services today. Hopefully I can find the parts I need next Saturday, and if all the stars align, I can get it rolling again for a last minute Sunday ride, but it may be the weekend after. Too many things all at the same time!

Hate to hear that man….We’re here for you man. Whether we need to sweat out a mid-summer ride or plan something more comfortable….

OK... for tomorrow... take the wife to the airport. go find sprockets and chain. If that all happens easily, then I should be able to rivet on a new chain late tomorrow afternoon... Could be a last minute ride in store for Sunday if the weather agrees... but it looks like pretty high rain chance right now... we'll see where we are tomorrow evening.

So the chain and sprockets were a hard find last weekend. My 2nd stop from the airport was Tejas Powersports in Highlands. Yeah... the same place I should have gone first... how many have told me that. All the other shops say "nope, not in stock, but here are some after market parts that are better and cost less (but they actually cost more)"... or "We can order and get them in whenever the stars align" (or something like that).

Josh at Tejas in Highlands didn't have them either, so he went searching. None of the other dealers I've been to have even tried to do that, or don't know how. He searched nearby dealers. nope! LA warehouse... nope! Atlanta warehouse ... yep! I apparently got the last chain and sprocket set left in the country. I'll pick them up this morning, and should be ready for a ride tomorrow am, weather permitting. He also found those gaskets I need for the valve inspection / adjustments (that I've been waiting 2 months for from BikeBandit). He also recommended a shim kit for $100 so I won't have to wait for shims when it comes time. Trying to buy an assortment of sizes without knowing what I need would be really pricy at $10 / shim. Plus, I came in with a parts list from my inbox from another online dealer that couldn't assure me of a delivery time, and they matched a couple prices that were lower (not much, but lower). I'm impressed. I guess I should have just gone there first, like SilverBullett keeps telling me! I know where to go from now on!

If anybody is interested in a July 4 Ride, let me know! I'll be watching the weather. so far, it looks like the highest rain chances are early morning, so I'm playing it by ear. The bike should be ready to go tonight!

I’m out of town until Monday. Y’all enjoy your Independence Day celebrations and ride safe if you go. A lot of people in cars making bad driving choices this weekend!!

Back