• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston - Atascocita/Humble area riders!

Latest updates on Sunday's ride (2/7):

Looks like lows in the 30s, high just over 60. Could be a cool ride, and the super bowl coming up.

Perhaps it will be a bit warmer next weekend. This isn't too bad, but cool.

Unfortunately, I've been voluntold to do some grass sod this weekend... looks like I'll be wrapped up...

If anybody else wants to lead, post up and let's see who can get out there!

Another weekend ride down the tubes? Nobody going to take the reins?

OK... well... I guess I'm supposed to pay attention to my sweetie tomorrow instead of riding... We met on Valentine's Day many years ago, so she gets the priority! I did sneak in a ride Thursday... so the bike doesn't feel quite as lonely anyway...

Next weekend I need to be home to take care of her after some minor surgery, so that Sunday may not work either...

The following weekend... . Looks like I'll be spending with her to officially celebrate our first date anniversary... It's a tough life... but she's worth every bit of it! :-P

I can still set up rides, do maps,etc... but I may not be available for the Sunday rides for a couple more weeks. I PROMISE... I'll be back on the bike, and the missed rides will be few and far between after all this!

Ok... finishing up some stuff... the wife seems ok after LASIK...

Anybody up for a Sunday morning ride? A Sunday afternoon ride?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

i'd love to but already made a commitment i cant get out of. darn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer!

Sorry about the late notice!

Been wrapped up painting, electrical work and landscaping here... got a bit of a break...

I know, I know. I turned the rotors and put new pads on today, but the thing is making some crazy clunking sound when I turn right. I'm talking loud. I'm running over to my buddies shop in Cypress to see what's up in the morning.

Ok, Kids! It's been nearly a month... Sorry about that.

Went on a 7 day cruise with my sweetheart. On day 6, I had developed a major fever and serious cough... difficulty Breathing... (Friday)...

Got home Saturday, continued to get worse... my own doctor didn't seem to want to give me an appointment... Went to an emergency clinic quack that did a quick "magic 8 ball" diagnosis and ignored what I told him... kept calling any doctor that would answer the phone... found one that was good... but after 7 days of severe fever, increased breathing difficulties... I finally found her..

she diagnosed, said I was close to pulmonary failure... "ER NOW!"

OK... 6 days in the hospital with severe pneumonia, due to my doctor not being willing to see me. I think this new woman doctor may have saved my life... I think I have a new doc in my future!

Back at home finally and recovering...

The last few weeks have sucked... but I'm recovering.... we'll be riding again soon... PROMISE!!!!

holy crap. that's awful. glad you're feeling better. i blame it on the cruise. i'm always afraid i'll catch something so i've never taken one. holler when you're ready to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok... got exposed on the cruise... but being unable to get medical care for over a week is what I'm sure forced me to the hospital. Should have been simple. It didn't START as pneumonia...

Good deal you are on the mend. That sure ain't noting you want to mess around with. Unbelievable they would not see you when you needed them most. NE Regional ain't much better either. Get well and we'll hit some roads soon.

Good to hear your doing better, I thought the wife had you busy doing honey do's.

I had a week or 2 of honey do's... then figured I'd be riding after the cruise. .. didn't work that way. ...

Got the Beast back out on the Road!!!!

Ok, so it was a short route... and it started to rain... and only on a path directly over my route... so it got shorter...

But I'm back on the bike.

This weekend is Easter and time for family.

However... who is up for a ride the weekend after Easter?

I could do another standard 4 or 5 hour route....

OR... I found a location of the only Republic of Texas / US boundary marker, on the north side of Toledo Bend Reservoir... Sounds like a Kodak moment...

Link that together with a Lake Livingston loop, maybe lunch around Logansport or Colmesneil... a long day ride of San Augustine, SH 87, Livingston, and Toledo Bend Reservoir... about 10 hours TomTom time...

anybody up for that one?????

Ok, ok....

A shorter ride, then... looks like sunday for me. Who is ready to ride? How much time?

Sunday, April 3 Ride

How about something different?

I hear that FM 3090 is a good road, from Navasota north to Highway 30. We could connect that to the 149 loop, and it's about 230 miles and 5.5 hours + a fuel stop from Dunkin Donuts in Atascocita.

If we pretty much slab it to Montgomery, we're looking at 2 hours to get to that point. A bit more slabbing to get it started, but I'm curious to see what 3090 has to offer.

Since we'll be trying to get there quickly, we would be running 59/69 up to Conroe / Montgomery, so a secondary start for others could be Flying J at 242.

If we can leave Dunkin donuts no later than 1230, that could be a meet at Flying j at 115, KSU at 130. Back to Dunkin at about 630 (Flying J at 545) with an additional fuel / drink / snack stop in Navasota.

I set the departure to handle church goers that may not be able to ride before noon... without that restriction, we could leave earlier.

WHO'S IN?

Let me know if we need the late start, or if we need to do an earlier ride. Either works for me!

Route map attached...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 151
hey steve. i've been riding in arkansas all week. just got back last night. afraid i'm gonna have to pass and focus
on honey do's. cant seem to get in sync with schedules for sunday rides but plan on riding again with you as soon
as i can make it work. keep planning um. see ya again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sunday, 4/3 Ride... time change

OK... so far, it sounds like no takers...

I'm going to set the start time back a couple of hours...

Dunkin Donuts at 10, KSU at 1030.

That would put me at Flying J at about 1115.

It may be a little cool... in the high 60s at the start, with a high in the low 70s... Mesh alone may not be good..

Any interested, let me know early! if I don't hear from anybody on the Flying J stop, I'll be buzzing on by!

Otherwise, Dunkin Donuts before 1030!

Sorry Steve I still got too much yard work to finish up, otherwise I would enjoy going for a ride.

No worries! We'll get out there soon...

Regardless... there IS a ride... be it solo or not...

It would be great if we could get a group together... but it's been WAY too long for me... gotta go! I'm feeling human again, and I need some seat time.

We'll ride soon!

Any interest in a LONG day ride in the near future???

With the health issues and dead time at home, I've had time to look for other possible rides... something a bit different... maybe more of a stretch...

So I put together a couple of "Butt Burner" kind of day rides...

Both rides are about 550 miles. Both rides return to Atascocita via Hwy 87 through Newton and down through Kountze / Dayton.

One ride is based on the "December Route" I found on motowhere.com... takes some apparently curvy roads up through New waverly and to the west edge of Tyler, a quick shot east on I20, and back down to 87 via 59.

The second ride is more of the familiar roads we've ridden, via Colmesneil and up the good roads around Lake Livingston, and up to the Republic of Texas Marker near Logansport, LA. Back down, across Toledo Bend Reservoir, and back down via 87.

Maybe around the end of the month or early May?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 129
Sunday 4/3 Ride Report

It was a solo ride today, and just cool enough that mesh was chilly, and the outer jacket shell was a bit too toasty...

Headed out for the run to Montgomery and 149 / 3090.

149 has deteriorated a lot in the past couple of years. It seems like there was more blacktop patch material than pavement. Instead of the nice, smooth sweepers, it's become more of a scenic ride with so-so pavement. At least no major potholes....

Ran through Richards, up to 30, and then took the north to south run on 3090. At the beginning of the run, there is a sign... 6 motorcycle fatalities since January 2007... A somber reminder... But it sounds like there must be curves... and there were.

3090 from Hwy 30 down to Navasota is probably the curviest road I've ridden in my 3 years of riding around Houston. Nice 25 and 30 mph ess curves, and limited straight sections.

The pavement was a bit coarse, and a few bumps that would keep you awake in the curves, but it was good. Decent pavement. Not pristine... but decent for curves. I know I've done a lot worse!

The theory was to record video with my GoPro... but I forgot it defaulted to a pic every 10 seconds... so no video. Bummer! Posted a pic of the "welcome" sign and an example of the curves that were so prevalent.

A good ride, although the 2 hours or so needed to get there will keep me from returning often. On the other hand, I know where some better curves are now!

Let's see what I can put together for next week, now!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I can't believe you hadn't rode 3090 yet, yes definitely the best road in the area. Sometimes solo riding is more relaxing as you can change route on a whim or stop for whatever reason and length of time you feel like. I have plenty of dirt rides in the next months. The slow speed stuff is more enjoyable before it gets hot. Was at SHNF all weekend riding/camping. Next week is MotoGP in Austin, week after that a ride in AZ, week after that Big Bend, etc. Maybe will have a free Sunday sometime mid May and can join ya all.

_

Back