• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston - Atascocita/Humble area riders!

I just got a taste of how much fun a small/light bike can be in the dirt. Was riding my buddies plated XR400R on the beach and it was a ton of fun. More than my Vstrom and BMW combined lol. I so want a light bike now.

I can't believe you hadn't rode 3090 yet, yes definitely the best road in the area. Sometimes solo riding is more relaxing as you can change route on a whim or stop for whatever reason and length of time you feel like. I have plenty of dirt rides in the next months. The slow speed stuff is more enjoyable before it gets hot. Was at SHNF all weekend riding/camping. Next week is MotoGP in Austin, week after that a ride in AZ, week after that Big Bend, etc. Maybe will have a free Sunday sometime mid May and can join ya all.

_

Nope... hadn't ever heard of it until I went searching for more roads... It was good.

There is a lot to be said about solo rides... my pace, nobody to watch out for... just ride... stop for a break whenever... or not at all...

Looking forward to the next group ride, though... possible I'll actually be working again soon... :eek2:

I just got a taste of how much fun a small/light bike can be in the dirt. Was riding my buddies plated XR400R on the beach and it was a ton of fun. More than my Vstrom and BMW combined lol. I so want a light bike now.

Agree with that! Getting dirty can be a blast on a good bike! You may have to get to know SilverBullet...

Proposed Ride: April 10

I don't think we've done this side of Lake Livingston for a while... so here's one of my older / slightly modified routes for Sunday.

about 4 hours riding according to Tyre, add an hour for stops / BS time... maybe 5 hours from Dunkin Donuts and back.

For those that prefer a start at the Flying J, we can do a stop there on the way north...

Meet at Dunkin Donuts, Atascocita just north of Will Clayton on West Lake Houston Pkwy at noon.

KSU 1230.

Arrive at Flying J at 115. KSU 2 at 130.
Back to Flying J / Dunkin Donuts at 445 / 530.

We'll see how good I am at those estimates!

Who is in???
An earlier start is an option if it works for all interested... trying to accommodate church goers!

Weather forecast: high around 77, low around 60. 20% chance of rain/thunderstorms.... sounds good, but bring a rain jacket!

Here's a map:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Updated start times - Sunday 4/9 ride:

OOPS! Date in Title is Wrong... SUNDAY, April 10...

Meet at Dunkin Donuts, Atascocita just north of Will Clayton on West Lake Houston Pkwy at noon.

KSU 0915.

Arrive at Flying J at 1000. KSU 2 at 1030.
Back to Flying J / Dunkin Donuts at 1330 / 1415.

if the slight chance of showers in the afternoon is still in the forecast, we'll see if this keeps us from missing them!

See you there!

Last edited:
Great ride today with Noobles and TJ29607!

Got some videos, but I think the MP4 files are too big to post... not really sure what to do with them....

1725, 224, 945, and other roads. Decent route with a couple of great guys!

I'll have a post up before next weekend with a new proposed route!

Proposed Ride: April 17 - Bacon Run!

UPDATE: RIDE POSTPONED. It looks like high T-storm chances for Sunday... likely not a good Bacon Run Day...

I'll get a schedule update as soon as I can!

The weather forecast isn't looking really good right now... but assuming it changes...

Mama Jack's in Kountze has a great breakfast Buffet... how about a run for the Bacon, and a few curves on the way back?

about 4.5 hours road time per TomTom...

KSU at 0800 at Dunkin Donuts, Atascocita

Expect a fuel stop in Shepherd, about 130 miles in...

The ride will start out from Atascocita on 1960 / 90, and turn north at Liberty. Riders can join the ride along the way, or meet up at Mama Jacks!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
APRIL 17 RIDE POSTPONED

Don't have a date yet, but a high chance of T-Storms still in the forecast, increasing through the day. Probably not the best Bacon Run Day...

I'll get a new date set soon.

Unfortunately, I have two challenges that will override... My wedding anniversary is the 23rd, so I'm confident I'm not riding that day...

The next weekend appears to be an Alice Cooper weekend... :drums::jammin:

We'll get this ride in soon!

Let's Ride! Sunday, April 24

OK, so the wife says I should ride Sunday... Who am I to argue? It looks like we will have a new couple from Atascocita, and possibly at least one more Atascocita local joining in, so that sounds great to me!

Here's the proposed route:

About 4 hours ride time, 210 miles.

Meeting Point:
Dunkin Donuts, just north of Will Clayton on W Lake Houston Pkwy.

Secondary Meeting Point (if needed): Flying J, 242 @ 59/69, about 1345

1245 Meet up, 1315 KSU from Dunkin Donuts.

Should be back in Atascocita around 630 or so.

If all riders are good for an earlier start, we can adjust!

If we need to adjust to slightly later, we can do that...

Let's go!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Here's a thought.

anybody know the conditions of the roads around Lake Livingston?

Under water???

Sounds like it's ok north of Cleveland, but I can't confirm. My biggest concern is getting up to Cleveland... getting on 59 might be a challenge. I have a backup route to get there... no worries!

Last edited:
anybody have any experience with having a bike painted (not DIY). Not looking for fancy graphics, just a matt gray , silver or charcoal color. no dents in the tank or panels to fix (just sand blast and paint). Looking for a rough idea on the cost before i pursue it any further. And if you know someone in Houston pass on the info. to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I dumped mine, I ended up getting a deal on a 3 month old tank from the FZ1OA Board... so I didn't need the body work / paint guys.

However, the insurance adjuster from Progressive said that these guys were the best there is... and I have heard good things about them. Noticed a happy customer on MotoHouston as well...

http://coachwerkbykinsey.com/home/2045382

They may not be cheap... but I'm told they are really good. If insurance covers the work, no problem!

Looks like they are in Santa Fe, TX

Last edited:
Long ride, Thursday, 4/28

OK, so Big Bird is back on the road, and we need a ride...

here we go... circle around Lake Livingston, over to Colmesneil... Lunch at Texas Star Cafe... up to San Augustine, some curves between the lakes... back down through some decent roads and home..

Starts at Dunkin Donuts, 18315 W Lake Houston Pkwy, Humble

Proposed Meet time: 0830
Proposed KSU: 0900

Times Might be adjusted slightly...

About 430 miles, about 8 to 9 hours ride time. Home by dark!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 221
Well I see the time but I don't see what day your ride? Is that so you can easily change it if it rains? Lol

_

Hmmm... thought i put it on the title... but i don't see it on tapatalk...

Thursday, 4/28

Sorry!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

It very well could be on the title. I'm on Tapatalk also and it doesn't show titles.
So... are you coming along????

Sat or Sun are out, but Thurs might work. So I'm a maybe, should know by tomorrow noontime.

_

Sounds good... Saturday and Sunday are out for me as well this week...

If you can make it, that would be great!

(and the date IS in the title... I'll be sure and echo that in the text next time so it can be seen on TapaTalk)

Update!

Looks like its just 2 of us tomorrow... if anybody else is in, send me a note!

Would I be a number 2 or number 3? Not a hundred percent yet, couple things I still got to do on the bike in the morning. Doubt if I get home early enough tonight to take care of them.

Hope you guys got a good ride in today! I went to bed last night trying to decide where to go... COG rally in Arkansas that I had planned for a while but due to the forecast decided to bail on today or your day ride here... Ended up working and not doing either so not in a good mood at all! Hope you had a great day, looking forward to meeting you local guys before too long!

It was good... a bit longer than normal... but we rode some great new roads around San Augustine! Need to get some more rides up there... maybe a more direct path up there...

More rides to come !

Back