• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston to Lake Livingston 11/24 am

Reaction score
OK... I'm new here, but I got some great input from Tourmeister on some roads to the north. about a 3 hour ride, google says 137 miles.

Meet at: Flying J truck stop at 242 and 59, north of New Caney.
When: 0930, Sunday, 11/23 (tomorrow morning)

It will be chilly... wear the cool weather gear.... 20% chance of rain.... not TOO bad...

PM if interested!

I'm new here, and just exploring roads, so I will be following my GPS. I have converted the route to Google, and it's pretty close... that exit from 59 is a bit wonky on Google, though...

http://goo.gl/maps/cN7gA

There may be some roads that beg to be ridden hard, but if I'm leading, I'll be seeing the roads for the first time... so this won't be a highly spirited ride... just enough to enjoy being on 2 wheels!

PM if you're interested!!!!

Wish I could have made it for this! I just moved to the NW side of town, but meeting to ride that way will not be an issue. Just couldn't today as I need to hang here before leaving early in the am on a work trip! Let us know how the ride went.

Last edited:
Cold today! I don't envy any on that trip!

Probably really not now. Gravel at 190 and 945? Looked just like rough pavement to me. Turned the corner and skidded. To fill lock. . High side. Might be a while before the bike gets fixed... looks like surgery on the broken collarbone too.

IndyRC was awesome. .. went to get his truck and took my bike home for me. You're a great American! Sorry for the SNAFU.

some great roads though. How to get back out soon!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

First road get off in 40 years. . Dangit! Nice roads though. Thanks to tourmeuster.. how to see the rest of them soon!

Thanks for the good words guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sorry about your accident Blue Flash, hope you will heal fast.

OK... first day since the crash that I've been able to type... the cell phone just wasn't working for me. Surgery on Tuesday, and the collarbone healing process should begin. Probably about 6 weeks before I can ride again, though.

Progressive Insurance did a great job. The appraiser showed up on Monday, made a parts list and gave me a check for the parts and the safety gear. Looks like I'll be able to put the bike back to new condition with no money out of pocket, and replace the gear and helmet as well.

Kind of embarrassing to show up as the new guy on the site, lead one ride, and dump the bike on the first ride. I promise I won't make a habit of this! It kind of messed up our Holiday plans for Thanksgiving... but it looks like Christmas is still good... all could be worse! Gear did it's job, and a well fitted, quality helmet is worth it's weight in gold. I'll be buying another Shoei for sure. The crash was pretty lame, at about 10 or 15 mph, and it didn't make the news, but without the gear, I would be in the hospital now for sure... first time I've ever tested my safety gear on the street. glad I've been so insistent on ATTGAT over the years!

Once I've got my right shoulder in better working order, I'll get out there and start ordering parts...

Almost Time to get out and finish this ride!

Doc says to start working the shoulder... that means no restrictions that will keep me from finishing the bike repairs... Tail section is done, waiting on a $2 rubber vibration damper (has shipped), and then the fuel tank, fairing, and new slipon pipe.... and she's ready to roll!

The shoulder, he says start working it... hitting a bucket of golf balls, light weight training... and work it up. Sounds like I should be riding again before the end of the month!!!!!

:rider::rider:

Wow Steve didn't know about your crash. I was away at Thanksgiving riding LAB2LV and didnt see this thread. Figured you were just hibernating due to the cold like so many others. Hope you're back riding soon.

_

Thanks, guys!

One of the first things I will want to do is get back out and do the same ride... with a different perspective. Some decent roads, and not a really long ride, so it should be a good on to get back on the road with.

I'll have to give everybody a yell when it's time, and I'll post up the plans.

At least the weather is not very good... Hope the therapy works and you and the bike will be ready soon.

From mobile

True. Wet and cold doesn't make for a comfortable ride. However, it's good wrenching weather for the garage. I hope to see the last parts show up today. .. tomorrow at the latest.

Parts arrived.... parts installed. The bike is done now!

The doc said I could do my own therapy... just a matter of working the arm / shoulder and getting the strength back, and I've done this before (left collarbone is screwed / wired together too)... It's getting better! Feels good to be able to DO stuff again!

I may have to go for a short ride tomorrow... see how the shoulder likes being on the bike again... Besides, the bike is begging me... it wants to go.

I'm thinking a more successful repeat of the Lake Livingston ride is coming soon....

:zen:

LOL

Thanks! I'll be looking for gravel on perfectly clean pavement... Trust me!

I may be taking every turn as though it has gravel for a while... 3 months with no bike and not being able to use the arm like normal really bit! Could have been worse... but I'm not excited about doing it again.

Looks to be some great riding weather around lunch time, I'll definitely be out riding for a few hours.

Good luck and take it slow until you get comfortable riding with the shoulder again.

Will do! And have a good ride yourself. I'll just see if I can find as few lazy roads. .. just get back out and see how everything works. ...

Back