• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Want to Buy Need a Brake Flaring tool kit for Stainless Steel Line 3/16 "Bubble Flare"

Reaction score
I've got a project and my brake flaring tool is not robust enough to bubble flare the stainless steel lines.
Is there anyone out there that has a kit that can do stainless I can borrow or rent? Bubble flare 3/16 lines
I'm in the DFW area

Just FYI - use a hand saw to cut the line. You will work-harden the tube if you use a standard tubing cutter.

I have a couple flaring kits I used when building brake lines for race cars.
One is for metric lines.

I'll have to look and see what I can put my hands on.

Edit:

Is this what you are looking for?
3e860cb7585bafa1fa2820fa545edfc6.jpg

Last edited:
mitchntx, I've got a kit like that and it's not holding the tubing in place, I've mounted it in a vice and put an extra clamp on it also, it keeps pushing the tube out before it flares completely. This Stainless Steel Line is Tough. I may have to use standard line that is softer.

FE_Rex
I used a hacksaw, de-burred and put a drop of oil in the flaring adapter not getting it in or on the bar clamp. It's just some hard line.

I’ve doubled-flared 304SS 3/16 lines with a similar tool by Rigid when I made all new lines for my old 66 Fairlane.

You mentioned a few things I found out hard way (oil / deburr).

I also found out ensuring the tube end being slightly radiused on the inner and outer circumference helped. In addition, the ID needed to be fully open. I cannot remember if I was using 0.028 or 0.035 wall tubing. I know it was seamless

Not sure if above is helpful or not Good luck

I tighten the wingnuts with the sliding rod on flare to ensure the tubing is in block. I have flared hard drawn copper by heating it to a glow with torch and letting it cool naturally. Is that called de tempered? Makes it like soft drawn copper for the flare. Probably not good for steel byakeline.

hmmmm heat could be your friend, Stuart Hose and pipe on Riverside drive could probably do it for a couple bucks maybe.

Found a company in Cleburne that has a hydraulic tool that can do it.
I'll cut and make to length so all they will do is the 22 flares. It's cheaper then buying a new tool.

Back