• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need a route for a VFR from Round Rock to Corpus Christi/Port A

Reaction score
I have a trip coming up to Port A next moth and I am pondering taking the scooter. Does anyone have any good routes to take? Bike is a Honda VFR, I would prefer the route to be paved the whole way :rider:

Last edited:
Don't remember all the roads off the top of my head, but I take 183 way the heck down to Refugio then jog east slightly before heading south. I usually am heading for the Port A ferry.

Don't remember all the roads off the top of my head, but I take 183 way the heck down to Refugio then jog east slightly before heading south. I usually am heading for the Port A ferry.

That's where I'm going too. Probably don't even need to say Corpus in the thread.

Checked the map. 183 to refugio, 774 east for about 2 miles, then 2678 south. That becomes 136, then hang a left at the stop sign for 188. Right on 35 then left on 361 (Redfish Causeway). From there you can miss it Port A. Remember that bikes can run up the shoulder to get to the front of the ferry line. They will call you up separately. They stick the bikes in the small areas at the back of the ferry so you aren't "stealing" a space a car could fit in. Works nice when the ferry line is two miles long.

Checked the map. 183 to refugio, 774 east for about 2 miles, then 2678 south. That becomes 136, then hang a left at the stop sign for 188. Right on 35 then left on 361 (Redfish Causeway). From there you can miss it Port A. Remember that bikes can run up the shoulder to get to the front of the ferry line. They will call you up separately. They stick the bikes in the small areas at the back of the ferry so you aren't "stealing" a space a car could fit in. Works nice when the ferry line is two miles long.

This route mapped:
https://goo.gl/mz6QIX

Some changes that look like fun riding (and take you through Shiner, TX):
https://goo.gl/Aw6n61

This route mapped:
https://goo.gl/mz6QIX

Some changes that look like fun riding (and take you through Shiner, TX):
https://goo.gl/Aw6n61

I like that route. Thanks for that.

A couple of times I've stopped in Goliad to see the mission there. Kind of interesting if you have the time.

A ride out to Rockport and Fulton would be nice. Can be very windy at times. We drove down the edge of the water last time just to check out the scenery.

A couple of times I've stopped in Goliad to see the mission there. Kind of interesting if you have the time.

Also, check out Fannin's Grave if you go through Goliad. Here's a bad pic that doesn't do it justice (it's from the IBA Republic of Texas SS1k rally in 2013.)

tTJkImEh.jpg

Also, check out Fannin's Grave if you go through Goliad. Here's a bad pic that doesn't do it justice (it's from the IBA Republic of Texas SS1k rally in 2013.)

tTJkImEh.jpg

Good idea cheez. Yes it is a little behind the Goliad mission. Which as noted earlier is nice. You can actually rent a room there for the night. Have not done it because I found out too late. Did have a terrible chicken Fried steak in town before we called it a night.

Remember that bikes can run up the shoulder to get to the front of the ferry line. They will call you up separately. They stick the bikes in the small areas at the back of the ferry so you aren't "stealing" a space a car could fit in. Works nice when the ferry line is two miles long.

I didn't know that! Would have saved me a lot of headache.:doh:

Even trying to book over a month out any of the reasonable hotels were booked and I don't have $250 a night to spend, haha. Ended up booking a room at NAS Corpus Christi. As a result I'll be spending most of my time down by the National Seashore instead of Port Aransas. Any thoughts or suggestions on the beaches/food down there?

Had a great trip and the scooter was flawless. Wired up a voltmeter and 12v socket to compliment my new RAM mount so I can have turn by turn as I meander along. Everything worked just like it should.

I took the altered route that went by Victoria on the way down and then came back up 183. Saw some beautiful countryside and hit a little bit of dirt again. It's getting to the point I'm going to have to put knobbies on the VFR :rofl:

Toured Presidio la Bahia and went to Fannin's grave, very interesting history. They teach us all about the Alamo, but I didn't know any about this before visiting. Ended up putting about 600 miles down this trip.

Another high note, my VFR turns 30k!

20150715_150029.jpg

Back