• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need advice on FZ1

I don't think the seller meant fair delete but PAIR delete. Basically it's a block off plate.. The port allows fresh air to enter the exhaust system at the exhaust port to help burn off otherwise unburnt fuel. While, on the surface it's a great idea for better exhaust emissions, it messes up the timing of the pressure waves traveling up and down the exhaust system so it makes for less effective scavenging and less power. So, you block off the port.

My needs say to get the '06. I commute and tour so I'm all about handling and comfort. That means Ohlins and Corbin is a high priority. The Smuggler is great. I had one on a BMW so if I didn't want to haul the hard cases around, I threw the wallet and phone and some jerky in the smuggler compartment. The Ivan's reflash should negate the need for the PC5. How much you wanna be the PC5 is set to a zero map? The Yosh and filter go with the Ivan's, more power is better even on a bike that came with 150 in the first place!

And the V35 cases are great. Resale is one thing, you may find yourself solo touring on the FZ and having the cases is a good bonus if you want to take a bike that's more flickable than the ST1300. I've had someone slice up my Oxford soft panniers on a day trip while I was eating at a truck stop. So hard lockable luggage is king.

That aside, the frame cracking thing isn't rampant. But I'd check it per everyone else's advice. Take someone that knows better than you when it comes to welding if you're not versed in it. Worst case scenario...you buy it and have a place or friend do a dye penetrant test for either peace of mind or to address it.

Went to check the 06. The owner even gave me to ride it a bit. Bike is well maintained. However I had few concerns: The bike is ill-handles in corners. I mean not eager to lean... not intuitive as they say. The tank is kind of wide, and it's gutless in low speed.
Maybe -1 in front would cure the low end power. Maybe I could get used to the wider tank. Dunno.
However, I was hesitant. Plus he wanted 4200 for stock seat and 4800 for 3 different seats and the luggage. Maybe I could talk him down to 4000/4500, but anyway it is out of my budget for the bike. I want to test ride others FZ1's and see if they have the same "issue" with the agility.

Back