• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need good machine shop recomendation (preferably near Dallas)

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Hi guys & gals, I am fixing a trike for a friend of mine, the bolts holding the differential together broke off flush with the housing whilst he was riding. I managed to get 5 of the 6 bolts out, but cannot get the 6th bolt out. Its an aluminum housing and the bolt appears to be a high tensile steel allen bolt. Because it's high tensile steel, none of my drill bits will drill into it, and because it broke of flush with the housing, there is nothing on the outside to get hold off, I need a shop that can either machine the bolt out or maybe weld something to the broken bolt than can then be used to remove the bolt (the bolts where loctited in place, so do not come out easily!!).

I live just north of Dallas in Princeton and would prefer to use a local company if possible.

Thanks for all suggestions, you can see the 5 bolts that I removed and the one remaining bolt in the diff housing in this pic.

IMG_0616 (Medium).JPG

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 151
Get a cobalt drill bit. Use plenty of coolant. Drill at a slow rpm. Pull that thing out and chunk it as far as you can toss.

Any machine shop can do this but will not be cheap! I know i am one, (machinist!)
I would also recomend, getting who ever does this to put keen serts in as the existing threads may be coroded.
Keen serts are mo better than heli coil.

Any machine shop can do this but will not be cheap! I know i am one, (machinist!)
I would also recomend, getting who ever does this to put keen serts in as the existing threads may be coroded.
Keen serts are mo better than heli coil.
And if you want to spend more money Google Fredserts. Mil-Spec inserts. I second the cobalt bits, coolant and then a screw extractor with some heat. Aluminum will expand much more than the steel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, the threads where not damaged in any way on the 5 bolts that came out, I am going to try Lee of Z-Fab first, he will try to weld something to the broken bolt so I can then unscrew it. i don’t see any need for any thread inserts at this time, but if the bolt is machined out, I will look at the suggested inserts.

cheers Gary

Back