• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need help Carlesbad nm garage

Alan’s auto and cycle

Duke and I pulled the tank

9a741b0dad60f1194c88e8cb3ad45beb.jpg

e68ffcfe5a0ea52b84a7bf8cbc3ea6a7.jpg

Mechanic watching you tube video to figure out how to take apart pump

Reactions: Vec
A quick warning, be very careful with the rubber intake hoses going into the airbox. When I working on my Twin, I found out how easy it is to bump one of the tubes and have it pop lose leaving a nice gap for dust to suck in. They are not held in place with more than a little rubber lip that can pop in or out. I ended up gluing the heck out of mine when I had it apart, just to make myself feel better.

Sorry I can't add anything the the fuel filter, that is bummer, must have found a bad station along the way :(

Thanks mike, this has been like my 30th Africa twin tank removal between mine and others. I made the same mistake the first time [emoji23]

Fixed, I already had dfw Honda order a new fuel pump.

Saw some in Cloudcroft the other day. . Hope it didn't cancel the rest of your trip.

30th AT tank removal? Yikes. I hate any tank removal. I will never forget the 24K BMW 1150 fuel filter change, (it's inside the tank), where I destroyed a couple square feet of lawn, by setting my fuel tank on it, whereafter I must have spilled some fuel... And how did your fuel pump get toasted? Seems like an issue you rarely hear of on bikes.

30th AT tank removal? Yikes. I hate any tank removal. I will never forget the 24K BMW 1150 fuel filter change, (it's inside the tank), where I destroyed a couple square feet of lawn, by setting my fuel tank on it, whereafter I must have spilled some fuel... And how did your fuel pump get toasted? Seems like an issue you rarely hear of on bikes.

This episode has reinforced my conviction of only touring on high volume popular motorcycles that are not first year out of the box. There are tons of after market parts and forum posts to solve discovered known issues.

This was my first fuel filter cleaning. We were about 50 miles south of Carlsbad. Duke is about a mile behind me and calls.

He said his motor is cutting out at 6200 RPM. I knew the cause immediately.

I told him “your fuel filter is clogged with paint chips. Let’s pull over and turn the bike off to release the fuel pressure. This will get you another 20 miles. “

Sure enough we got about another 20 miles, stopped and repeat.

I sent a text out to our riding buddies, because the closest Honda dealer was 100 miles away in Roswell. I asked them to find a mechanic in Carlsbad. They found Carl’s auto and cycle parts.

I called and spoke to the mechanic, Austin. Austin said he had never heard of an Africa Twin[emoji51]

I said no problem, we just need a shop, I have all the tools but we can’t dump gas on the ground. He told us to pull around back when we got to town.

The 2018 Africa twin Adventure sports has a known issue of some of the paint chipping off the inside welds and clogging fuel filter. I have heard of a couple of 2019 ATAS also.

Duke had about 10k miles on his bike. I though about pulling it a couple of weeks ago when we installed the cruise control to inspect. Didn’t do it, but should have. Most of the problem tanks happened before 3000 miles.

In route I also called DFW Honda, he will have a new fuel pump on Thursday so it doesn’t mess up our Idaho BDR trip June 12th. I also suggested he order a guglatech filter to solve the problem for good.

Here is the filter we are going to install:

When we pulled behind the parts store, there is a shop. With some street and motocross bikes.

ac5ab171b1fc6308df43b9ce95047862.jpg

Here is the video I found for Austin the mechanic to take apart the fuel filter.

e9e30423a8e0914a22a4e1911b92eb26.jpg

Bottom line, Adventure touring on a motorcycle is a lot less stressful if you know your bike and some of the potential issues.

This episode was a pain. but it is very satisfying when a problem erupts and you have the ability and good fortune to solve the problem.

Saturday morning, Steve, Dave and I hit the BDR. I told Duke he was good for about another 4000 miles.

But Duke was not comfortable knowing this problem did not have permanent fix yet. I think that was a great decision on Duke’s part. After all the shaking, rock and rut hitting we did, it could have easily caused more paint to flake off.

Duke made it home Saturday evening with no problems.

Back