• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need help or ideas on a PW80

TGTUMBLEWEED

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Last Name
Musgrove
Brother got a 05 pw 80 for nephew not running. Couldn't get it to run so he put a new oem carb and new plug. seems to be firing well. compression is about 115. still wont run. getting fuel to cylinder. will only pop off when spraying carb cleaner in cylinder. Anyone got any ideas?

Pull the exhaust and see if that improves starting, the pipe on my kids 50 has gotten gunked up with spooge and carbon which prevents starting. Might try changing and gapping a new plug.
If so as the manual states, rap the pipe on a wooden bench to break loose buildup, I added blasting out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Let us know how it goes

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it still equipped with the start/run/kill switch? They change ignition timing on the pw's so it will start easy. I'd make sure that equipment is intact and working aswell

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Has a run/off switch on handlebar. Seems to be working. Fires when in run position and not when off. Exhaust seems to be wide open also. Can’t see anything where it could be changing timing. Just appears to be a kill switch.

Has a run/off switch on handlebar. Seems to be working. Fires when in run position and not when off. Exhaust seems to be wide open also. Can’t see anything where it could be changing timing. Just appears to be a kill switch.

It appears I was wrong anyway. Just the pw50 does that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I appreciate any input.

I am also willing to pay someone who can fix this for me. Would love to see my nephew riding it.

when you say the cylinder is getting fuel is the spark plug getting wet or is it dry? How old is the gas you are using?

also are you spraying the carb cleaner thru the carb or thru the spark plug hole when you get it to fire?

fresh mixed fuel. plug was damp like it was flooded. it will pop when sprayed into carb.

if it has fuel, air, compression and spark it should run unless they are out of order or too much of one. since the plug is wet i would think too much fuel. this is what i would try. take the plug out and use a torch to heat it up very hot, like red hot. reinstall and try starting. the hot plug will keep it from fouling from fuel. you may have a weak spark.

Sounds like carb if it busts off with carb cleaner, but not without. Does it continue to run after started or die as soon as it burns off the carb cleaner? I know those carbs are simple and I don't know if mine is stock or not but it seems I have to fiddle with mine quite a bit- probably wouldn't hurt mine to replace or rebuild as the adjustment screws like to walk out of adjustment after hard riding. It also doesn't help that the kid likes the sound of revving the throttle and does it continuously instead of modulating and holding position! I can't blame him he's four.
Keep after it, I'd bet the issue is in carb adjustment. Does that pw mix fuel and oil for you are are you mixing?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yeh if you can keep it running by spraying spurts of Starter Fluid in it, just like with a lawnmower, its the carb, however, if after putting on a new carb and it still does this, check the fuel line from the gas tank and look for the line plugging up by bits of rubber inside the line, and be sure and put a new fuel filter inline also. I changed a carb on my Briggs n Stratton and had a similiar issue, and the line, only on a 5 year lawn mower was ate up, kinda becoming brittle. Put a new fuel line and inline clear filter and ran great. I am told this is from Ethanol being added to gas. It eats rubber.

Back