• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need new battery

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I have a 2016 BMW 1200 RS, need replacement battery. Not having much luck at Rocky Mountain ect. finding correct one. None list my bike and don't give option of just ordering a battery. From a dealer they are close to 200 bucks, be nice to beat that. Ideas on where to order?

I got one for my 2016 GSA from Batteries Plus Bulbs for $80, they were one of the cheapest of the local shops and they had it in stock. May not be the best but its an option. They list 4 for yours, from $57 to $125

I got one for my 2016 GSA from Batteries Plus Bulbs for $80, they were one of the cheapest of the local shops and they had it in stock. May not be the best but its an option. They list 4 for yours, from $57 to $125

Thanks!!

You recommend Lithium? I hear different views, imagine that.

One other thing on these new angle fancy electronics, anything to be careful of when swapping out?

I’d check your local farm & ranch store. I buy my motorcycle batteries the same place I buy my tractor batteries. Always a very fair price at the place I use.

I got an AGM battery for my Shadow about 2 years ago from Batteryshark.com.

Cheapest AGM battery you can find (cheaper than most lead acid as well), a lot of guys on a Shadow forum I am on run them with no issues.

$30 + shipping (around $11): LINK

You recommend Lithium? I hear different views, imagine that.
Well I run them in my VTR and DRZ. If you will be riding in sub freezing temps, needing to restart often between recharge times, then Lithium is not for you. If you want to run a small inverter off the battery to power a lap top while blogging in camp, then Lithium is not for you.

I have a 6 year old LFX18A1-BS12 that came to me used and flat.. did some off listed recovery and it has been cranking that V twin, high compression 1000 cc motor no issue.

Bike sat for the last 3 weeks, cold(ish) temps last few days, yesterday I got it out to ride to Robinson for a microchipping event I was doing. as is common for a cold Lithium Iron battery, the first push of the button I got slow cranking.., that allowed the battery to internally warm up some. Second pus I got faster cranking, again warming the battery. Third push it spun over as fast as normal and it fired right off. The trick to using a lithium battery in cold weather is A: Size it appropriately,so you have some reserve stored power available above what it will take to start the motor. Then let the battery do what its design naturally does...heat up in use. Once it is warmed up, full power is available and it will crank the motor like normal.

Running lithium in 3 of my four bikes, will add one to the FJR as the current battery dies, Have had the one in the ZRX for 3 years now and it has never started better, have one in both KTMs and they are great small lightweight and plenty of cranking power

I have a manual fan switch added to my ZRX for the cooling fan so in the winter I just bump on the cooling fan to pull some amps while I am getting the helmet and gloves on and it fires right up when ready to go

I've run lithium on and off in my X Challenge. They always worked fine. They hold a charge better in storage than a lead acid. The only change I see in the way I used it vs lead acid or agm was on cold mornings in the high desert. In temps below freezing I would run the head light while I was gearing up so it would start quicker.

A lithium will be much smaller than the stock BMW battery so plan on filling that extra space.

I’ve had good luck with Battery Mart.
Update, ordered from them timely service, fair price, came in charged, all good. Thanks

Update, ordered from them timely service, fair price, came in charged, all good. Thanks
That’s good to hear. I hope you get good service from it. I put one of their batteries in my 1190 a couple of years ago and it’s still getting it done. (Knock wood)

Back