• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need some Pie Scouts

Cagiva 549 said:
I would strongly suggest scratching the Sugarland location , It may be the best pie in the world but the location is the worst two wheel destination possible , The middle of socker-mom suburbia and freeway construction heaven . SEYA

It does have great pie and cupcakes and other good stuff but like the man says, it's more for tea-parties and harried housewives to hang out and it is in the big fat middle of a strip mall...not much room to park and no fun roads around....and you have to contend with the mall traffic.

I did a scouting trip on Friday and ate some very good pie at the Texas Star cafe in New Ulm.

Talked to the owner about becoming a "pie run destination" and she said someone had already contacted her but suggested we have it in either March or April so we can see the bluebonnets..

FJRMike said:
Talked to the owner about becoming a "pie run destination" and she said someone had already contacted her but suggested we have it in either March or April so we can see the bluebonnets..
Looks like it is on the schedule for March 31...

Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes.
201 W. Main St.,
Decatur; 940.626.4555.

I'm not a fan of pecan pie, but theirs kicks butt. Their steaks are d-mn good and all in all, among the better steaks I've eaten in my 30+ years.

On a similar, and related note, Babes Chicken Dinner House in Sanger mirrors the above for Chicken and CFS. Same family that owns it (them, there' other Babes in DFW, but this one's consistently the best).
http://www.babeschicken.com/

204 North 4th Street
Sanger, Texas 76266
tel. (940) 458-0000

How about Fried Pie? There is a place in Davis, Ok that has great fried pies, we have sampled the Pecan, Lemon, and chocolate so far and they are all good. There is a place in Denison that makes the same pies but they are in a little strip center and might not be great.

Original Fried Pies
Highway 77 & I 35 Exit 51
Davis, OK 73030

(580) 369-7830

FINALLY getting back with a report from Zur Autobahn.

Food is good, atmosphere is very German and very car driven :thumb:

Desert was wonderful and service was great. the ONLY problem is its really too small to host a pie run.

Zim ... just tell me which ones you need checked out, and I'll make sure to ride out there and check them all out. Maybe I can even hit 4-5 in one day ... I think the electronic suspension on the RT is up to the task of continual preload adjustments. :)

I have to commend on such a noble sacrifice. :lol2:

The Fried Pie Restaurant in Gainesville probably ought to be reconned again, and again.....:rider: :eat:

Resurrecting this thread to begin discussions for next year's Pie Run locations. I would like to know of any especially in the South Texas (Corpus?) area and even West Texas, too. Of course, any new places with great reviews from our brave Pie Scouts will be gladly put into next year's rotation.

Johnny Monsoon's joint. Fate, TX. Address distributed to any who seek. We're still planning on a pie event soon; as soon as we're past the throes of moving into our new home we'll post up a date.

:trust:

Resurrecting this thread to begin discussions for next year's Pie Run locations. I would like to know of any especially in the South Texas (Corpus?) area and even West Texas, too. Of course, any new places with great reviews from our brave Pie Scouts will be gladly put into next year's rotation.

Did somebody say Corpus ? ;-)

I would LOVE to finally have a Pie Run that wasn't a 5 + hour one way trip just to get there, which is what the distance of the majority of the Pie Runs to me usually are. :doh:

I have to work this weekend, but next weekend I will do some scouting for you then report back here with my findings.

BTW - I noticed that you listed two potential places at the begining of this Thread, one in Pleasanton and one in Floresville. Both of those are only about 2hrs away from me, did they become a Pie Run destination ?

Did somebody say Corpus ? ;-)

I would LOVE to finally have a Pie Run that wasn't a 5 + hour one way trip just to get there, which is what the distance of the majority of the Pie Runs to me usually are. :doh:

I have to work this weekend, but next weekend I will do some scouting for you then report back here with my findings.

BTW - I noticed that you listed two potential places at the begining of this Thread, one in Pleasanton and one in Floresville. Both of those are only about 2hrs away from me, did they become a Pie Run destination ?

Those places are awaiting a Pie Run Report.

The Creamery restaurant in Marshall comes highly recommended. Their number's (903) 934-9009. I'd volunteer to scout it, but it looks like I'm going to be tied down for the next few weekends.

Double J's in Springtown. Nice large screened outdoor patio, too. Lots of seating. Big stone fireplace inside. Good food, homemade pies and cakes, cobbler upon request.

OK, so I need some volunteers to scout out:

The Creamery
409 E Grand Ave,
Marshall, TX
(903) 934-9009

and

Double J's
Springtown, TX
(cannot find the address or phone number-TexasShadow, do you have that?)

TX_F2 has graciously volunteered to scout a couple of places near the Corpus area.

Two suggestions:

Blessing Hotel, Blessing, TX --> http://www.texasbob.com/eats/tbe_blessing.html

Heritage House, Woodville, TX --> http://www.heritage-village.org/pickett-house.htm

Boarding house home style cooking is the speciality in both places...would probably need to call ahead to have a few pies waiting.

The attraction is neither venue is the run-of-the-mill place. Each is very unique. Neither is near the big city. Some really nice rides north and east of Woodville for an afternoon ride after home cooking and pie.

Two suggestions:

Blessing Hotel, Blessing, TX --> http://www.texasbob.com/eats/tbe_blessing.html

Heritage House, Woodville, TX --> http://www.heritage-village.org/pickett-house.htm

Boarding house home style cooking is the speciality in both places...would probably need to call ahead to have a few pies waiting.

The attraction is neither venue is the run-of-the-mill place. Each is very unique. Neither is near the big city. Some really nice rides north and east of Woodville for an afternoon ride after home cooking and pie.

Can either of these places support 50-70 people at once, both inside the restaurant and in parking? Since they are "near" the Houston area, they would need to accommodate larger crowds.

Can either of these places support 50-70 people at once, both inside the restaurant and in parking? Since they are "near" the Houston area, they would need to accommodate larger crowds.

For the Blessing Hotel:
Parking shouldn't be a problem. Lots of space on the street across from the hotel and also around the block. I was down there once and a group of Blue Knights rode up. Easily 60-80 bikes.

Now, inside the dining area I'm not sure what they can hold. I think 50 might be their capacity but they have some overflow rooms in a different part of the hotel.

Their food is excellent and the range on the buffet will feed an army. :eat:
But the desert I've seen has been limited to sheet cake and cobbler. Maybe I just haven't been there on the right days. :shrug:

Finally, I think the price is up from the $7 shown on TexasBob and I don't think they take credit cards so bring cash.

How about a poll thread on the favorites from this year. We could add the top 6 or so to the list for next year and then fill in with new destinations for the remaining slots.

Just typing out loud....

How about a poll thread on the favorites from this year. We could add the top 6 or so to the list for next year and then fill in with new destinations for the remaining slots.

Just typing out loud....

Ooooo...VERY good idea! :clap: I'll work that up!

I called and spoke to the restaurant managers at both venues. Here's their pitch:

Blessing Hotel, Blessing (361-588-6623) --> Main dining area holds about 60...front dining area ~15. Saturday lunch is the slowest day of week. They have handled bike groups as large as 120 on Sunday (the busiest day) with folks eating in shifts. And the good news, she will make PIES as we request!!! (cream, lemon, fruit, pecan, chocolate, coconut, etc.) So if our count exceeds 60, expect to eat in shifts and don't be in a hurry.

Picket House, Woodville (409-283-3371 ask for Heidi) --> Seating for ~120 (I've been there several times and 120 would seem a little crowded to me). Heidi can arrange for PIES to be catered in. Saturday lunch is typically their slowest day. But usually busy during March and April. Suggest we not pick one of those months.

Parking is not a problem at either venue.

I called and spoke to the restaurant managers at both venues. Here's their pitch:

Blessing Hotel, Blessing (361-588-6623) --> Main dining area holds about 60...front dining area ~15. Saturday lunch is the slowest day of week. They have handled bike groups as large as 120 on Sunday (the busiest day) with folks eating in shifts. And the good news, she will make PIES as we request!!! (cream, lemon, fruit, pecan, chocolate, coconut, etc.) So if our count exceeds 60, expect to eat in shifts and don't be in a hurry.

Picket House, Woodville (409-283-3371 ask for Heidi) --> Seating for ~120 (I've been there several times and 120 would seem a little crowded to me). Heidi can arrange for PIES to be catered in. Saturday lunch is typically their slowest day. But usually busy during March and April. Suggest we not pick one of those months.

Parking is not a problem at either venue.

Great info! Thanks for doing the legwork on this. I'll add them to the list.

Hey guys!

I'm living in a development called Woodcreek, in Fate. There's a formal hall we can rent that'll hold lots of folks We could easily get something scheduled to support that one evening (or weekend day). The decor is fantastic and there's a large fireplace, a kitchen (so we can feed normal foods too) and a big screen TV.

If folks here would like to PM for more information or suggest dates, we're all ears. The pie business end of this is very much secondary; I'd just really like to meet a lot of you!

Back