• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need to borrow spark plug wrench: BMW long, very thin wall 16mm

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Anyone east of Austin have a sparkplug wrench for a 2009 BMW R1200RT I could borrow for a day? I want to change plugs but the bike I bought has no tool kit! I'm changing over to an iridium plug with a smaller head size anyway so hate to buy TWO new spark plug wrenches. Thanks, Ed

I have one that I ground down the outside to work with my 09 GSA, but I'm west side of Round Rock.

Last edited:
Hey Russ, I'll probably take ya up on that! Got a 3k ride around AR/OK coming up in Oct. and will probably change em after that. the bike runs beautifully, has 15 K on it total on the original 09 plugs from what I can tell. Thanks!

If it makes you feel any better, I think the soonest I've ever changed plugs on a bike was around the 50k mile mark. Also, they don't really go bad just from sitting there, so if you only have 15k on the bike, I'd wager a pretty good bet that you are still good for quite some time. :)

Yep, I've gone quite a ways as well, despite the shop recommendation of 12K or 18K or what ever it is these days... My buddy changed his 2005 BMW R1200GS plugs at 89k, and he was not convinced it needed it, but we were headed to Canada :-)

Also have a ground down socket used to change '07 RT plugs. It fits the NGK plug. Not far from ya

Awesome to have a couple options! Thanks for the offer. I'll figure it all out when I get closer to doing the job.

Motion Pro makes a great thin wall plug socket, you can probably grab one at TJs on I35

Back