• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need to seal my tank...

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that I had a gas smell when I parked my bike (1994 VT1100C) after riding. I had filled up while out riding, so the tank was probably 3/4 full. I could not see or feel any leaks, just the smell of fuel. Even with the petcock off it still smelled.
After another few more rides, the gas smell went away.
Next time I filled up, same thing. And the time after that as well.
So I pulled the tank and it appears that it is leaking at the seam where the mount attaches to the tank (top middle of pic).

No rust in the tank, just a 26 year old tank and I guess some metal fatigue. Nothing obvious leaking, no holes or cracks, just a little gas seeping out when tank is over 1/2 full.

So seems that a tank sealer should do what I need. From researching, seems POR and Red Kote are the ones I hear the most about with the best success rate.
Any other suggestions?

Since I have no real rust in the tank, I don't think I need to do a whole 3-4 step process that most do with rusty tanks. I am tempted to just pour in the sealer and be done with it, but I think I should do a little prep work first to help with adhesion.
I was thinking of just using some apple cider vinegar as a mild acidic wash solution to get a little etching on the internals, drain and rinse with water, dry with heat/air, then do an acetone rinse, let it dry, then add the sealer.
Does that sound about right? I have no experience with this stuff and want to just do it once and not worry about it.
Also not sure about what to do about the vent hose in the center of the tank and the petcock hole. Don't want either of those to get clogged. For the petcock, I could probably find some tubing to put in it to keep it clean, but the vent hole is very small, like 2 tooth picks wide if that. Maybe apply the sealant and before it dries, clear the vent hole with compressed air?

Also noticed a little spot by the vent tube where paint was coming off, so need to sand that and re-paint (at least I don't have to worry about paint match there).

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that I had a gas smell when I parked my bike (1994 VT1100C) after riding. I had filled up while out riding, so the tank was probably 3/4 full. I could not see or feel any leaks, just the smell of fuel. Even with the petcock off it still smelled.
After another few more rides, the gas smell went away.
Next time I filled up, same thing. And the time after that as well.
So I pulled the tank and it appears that it is leaking at the seam where the mount attaches to the tank (top middle of pic).

View attachment 254964

No rust in the tank, just a 26 year old tank and I guess some metal fatigue. Nothing obvious leaking, no holes or cracks, just a little gas seeping out when tank is over 1/2 full.
View attachment 254966

So seems that a tank sealer should do what I need. From researching, seems POR and Red Kote are the ones I hear the most about with the best success rate.
Any other suggestions?

Since I have no real rust in the tank, I don't think I need to do a whole 3-4 step process that most do with rusty tanks. I am tempted to just pour in the sealer and be done with it, but I think I should do a little prep work first to help with adhesion.
I was thinking of just using some apple cider vinegar as a mild acidic wash solution to get a little etching on the internals, drain and rinse with water, dry with heat/air, then do an acetone rinse, let it dry, then add the sealer.
Does that sound about right? I have no experience with this stuff and want to just do it once and not worry about it.
Also not sure about what to do about the vent hose in the center of the tank and the petcock hole. Don't want either of those to get clogged. For the petcock, I could probably find some tubing to put in it to keep it clean, but the vent hole is very small, like 2 tooth picks wide if that. Maybe apply the sealant and before it dries, clear the vent hole with compressed air?

Also noticed a little spot by the vent tube where paint was coming off, so need to sand that and re-paint (at least I don't have to worry about paint match there).
View attachment 254965

I agree that you'll need to clean out / de-grease tank before applying liner
Here's a few videos that might help you.

I don't recommend sealing a tank unless it already in very bad shape. I have tried to recover tanks that others have sealed and the problems caused by the sealers seems to go on forever. That said, it's just my experience, other might have some success stories.

Your tank looks really great for its age and from the pictures the leaks appear to be caused by rubbing on something and/or stress points. I would take it to a welder and have it brazed, or a radiator shop and have them solder it. In the meantime Clean it up around the leaks and put some JB Weld. Good luck !

Later, Bud...

Use vinegar to clean it, then purchase Caswell tank sealer. That's all I use in the shop and it works every time. I like the colored Caswell instead of clear because then you can see the coverage.

That's distilled white vinegar BTW, not apple cider vinegar.

I like the external fix with some J B Weld idea.
I always carry some with me. Since it’s underneath the tank, the patch wouldn’t be seen. 👍

Forgot to post update.

I ended up using Red Kote.

I have a cheapie flex camera that I looked into the tank with. and found I had some rust in the tank. This is after I did a vinegar cleaning.
1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

So not a ton of rust, but more than I thought. The Red Kote was not that hard to do, the prep work is the "harder" part, and I waited a week before using it just to make sure it was dry.

So far so good (has been almost a month since I did it and no issues.

Back