• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

This is a tough one and there certainly isn't one "right" answer. I've helped a lot of people through times of financial hardship and that affects my thinking. My basic premise is that I don't like to borrow money and will not do it for toys. Using this philosophy, I have assets in my garage rather than liabilities. It has also allowed me to retire at the ripe old age of 56.

I was never real good at the work/life balance stuff and worked too much. richmillertxs' idea is some of what drove me to retire, although I also liked Tourmiesters' comment on meeting responsibilities. I met our financial responsibilities, ensured that we have our basic needs were met then carved out a portion of our savings to use for "lifestyle". I hope it will take 30 years or so to see how it works out. If we wind up as old people with no money or die with a big bank account before then means I didn't get it quite right.

We are very fortunate to live in a time and a place where we can worry about such issues.

Last edited:
Don't forget also that life is most likely shorter than you think it might be. I've had friends that passed away far too young thinking they'd have long lives. Don't put off that wrist twisting grin for tomorrow because tomorrow isn't promised.

Today in fact marks the passing of one of those friends. :(

Don't forget also that life is most likely shorter than you think it might be. I've had friends that passed away far too young thinking they'd have long lives. Don't put off that wrist twisting grin for tomorrow because tomorrow isn't promised.

Today in fact marks the passing of one of those friends. :(

Amen to that. I've had the good fortune to take two sabbaticals over the years and they are the best. Even if one does live a long life, old age may make riding impossible. Sorry about the loss of your friend.

As I have gotten older and the acceptance that riding and living will come to an end, my priorities have changed. I am a lot more likely to buy what I want and enjoy it while I can.

Absolutely! You never know what's going to happen. We've prepared for the future as best we can and now do what we want when we want.

I've owned a C14 and I've owned a ZX-6R. I say do it.

The decision for me is whether I want to do a type of riding that I can't based on the current stable, or will some bike better replace what's in the garage for a type of riding that I do.

I started on a Ninja 500 for my first bike, then switched to a cruiser because I thought they were cool. After my first long-distance trip I realized I loved riding cross-country but hated my cruiser for it, so I went through a few different bikes to meet that need. When I got into track days I went through several bikes to meet that need. Right now I'm kicking around the idea of getting better at dirt, or at least Texas dual-sport so I'm eyeing bikes to fit that role.

I can say for sure that a ZX-6R is a different enough bike from the C14 that it's worth having both. The C14 is very comfortable to ride and has some giddyup, but the ZX-6R is the motorcycling experience distilled. It's uncomfortable and impractical, but it's like the bike just jacks straight into your brain and does whatever you ask it to do RIGHT NOW.

Go for it! It's pretty hard to find 1 bike that does everything. If I had to own just one, I guess I would have fun trying to figure it out. Truth is, I usually have 2 or 3 around. Right now I have a Harley Ultra Classic Limited and a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (sometimes I just want to go fast!).

I had nothing but sportbikes for years and I can't seem to completely get that out of my system, so the N1K is a great compromise at my advanced age. Although lately I have been lusting after another Ducati. That Multistrada Pikes Peak is way cool! Might be time to flip the Kawasaki...

I want to sell my house
I need to be one two wheels again but as long as I own a money pit it will not happen. So listing the house next week. It's all about priorities. Problem...... solution.....
;-)

You don't ever "need" them. If you get ones you like, you'll ride'em. Saw a Ninja 1000 ABS at Granbury Powersports last weekend. It had old man friendly handle bars. Very tempting...

I want to sell my house
I need to be one two wheels again but as long as I own a money pit it will not happen. So listing the house next week. It's all about priorities. Problem...... solution.....
;-)

There are times I wish I did not have a mortgage... For that matter, there are even times I wish I was single with no kids. That side of me longs to wander the world on a shoestring budget. However, my wife and kids like having a house... I like my wife and kids... so... I have a mortgage :-P

I am fortunate that I can also have a few bikes. It REALLY IS therapy. I don't get to ride like I used to before having kids. But now, even a short 45-60 mile ride does wonders for my attitude. It is almost as if I can just feel the stress draining from my body as I pull out of the driveway for a ride.

I have two bikes and ride both of 'em...the little Honda actually gets ridden a bit more than the Harley.

I really want to get a new 2016 Suzuki Bandit to add to my stable, but it's hard for me to justify spending $10K OTD for a third bike...I think about it every day. lol

I've looked at some used but they just didn't float my boat...I'm retired and have no mortgage, so I may have to spend some of my son's inheritance money. :trust:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459549257.471103.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timely question. I really enjoy my Versys, most fun I've had on 2 wheels in a while. But, I really want a Bonnie. I can't ride enough to justify 2 bikes right now and I'm afraid I won't enjoy a Bonnie as much as I do the Versys.

Hmm, wonder if that's a section that's behind the login.

Long story short, his family member who has put work first all his life and is 70 and still works like 50 hours a week just had two strokes in two days and is dealing with the fact that he's losing major mobility and moving into a forced retirement. The poster was hit with the fact that you never know when something is going to happen to take away what you love to do, so do it now.

Last edited:
Hmm, wonder if that's a section that's behind the login.

Long story short, his family member who has put work first all his life and is 70 and still works like 50 hours a week just had two strokes in two days and is dealing with the fact that he's losing major mobility and moving into a forced retirement. The poster was hit with the fact that you never know when something is going to happen to take away what you love to do, so do it now.
Fully agree. This is why I'm changing jobs now (starting a new one end of this month). Getting out of management and creating more time for my hobbies and things I want to do. Because you never know when your number comes up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.....Getting out of management ....

I see a small but definite trend with that. Almost all among first and second level managers. I took it a step further than you did and just got out totally.

I will add back in a word of caution here. A lot of folks including me are counseling to make sure there is adequate life in the work life balance, but we should not have to over extend ourselves to do it. I'm about to start taking trips that I could never take before on a bike that I didn't have and I'm really looking forward to it, but the things I find the most luxurious are simply taking the time to enjoy a nice spring day and spending time with my wife on the property we own. Among the few stresses I have in my life now are those that involve expenditures for niceties.

In the end I guess that I would say that a person needs to ensure that they own their stuff rather than than being owned by it.

I see a small but definite trend with that. Almost all among first and second level managers. I took it a step further than you did and just got out totally.

I will add back in a word of caution here. A lot of folks including me are counseling to make sure there is adequate life in the work life balance, but we should not have to over extend ourselves to do it. I'm about to start taking trips that I could never take before on a bike that I didn't have and I'm really looking forward to it, but the things I find the most luxurious are simply taking the time to enjoy a nice spring day and spending time with my wife on the property we own. Among the few stresses I have in my life now are those that involve expenditures for niceties.

In the end I guess that I would say that a person needs to ensure that they own their stuff rather than than being owned by it.
Indeed. Either extreme is bad, and its all about balance. That's what I've been working to achieve in my life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back