• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need Wheels Trued/Unmangled

RoverT

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Since I bought my wrr 3000 miles ago, it's had a bad shake on the highway. I took the wheels to a shop today for balancing. They informed me that the rear wheel had a flat spot, and the front desperately needed to be trued side to side. According to the machine, the rear wheel needed 5oz of weight, and the front 7oz. A ton of weight.
Shop guy told me it's not even worth weighting them unless I get the wheels repaired.

So... Does anybody here repair wheels or have a good reccomendation? Both are spoked wheels with 10 month old Continental TKC80s and tubes. Rear has 2 rim locks, front has one.

It's rideable, but not pleasant on long rides. I really want my wr to be a smooth kitty just purring along!

I would be glad to take a look, but you are kind of far away. I would think any m/c shop in San Antonio could true them, but maybe it’s a lost art.

I can lace, true and torque spokes, if there is damage to the rim, I might not be able to get it within spec. Secondly it is something I would have to charge actual time on. That is why I recommend Woody’s. They true wheels for the street to 0.00” and off road wheels to 0.10” I think.

Buy a cheap dial indicator from Harbor Freight and make sure they are out of spec. I mostly just spin dirt bike rims on the bike and check with a steady screwdriver. Youtube should show how to check them. The alignment is another ball game, out of my league.
Hope everything works out.

Spring branch, tx. North of San Antonio, not Houston
Hey Trevor, I make runs into Houston almost every week, if you want Greg to do the work let me know and you can drop them here in NB and on my next trip into Houston which looks like second half of next week, I can take them to him for you.

I'd really like to keep this as cheap as humanly possible. I have the budget of a student. Should I consider buying a truing stand and attempting this repair myself? Not sure how in depth this really is.
What scares me is not truing the wheel, but the flat spots in the rim.

Last edited:
How much are new rim's and two spoke kits. Flat spots to be mean bent. I would think that would be hard to fix. Just to lace a new rim to hub is an art .

It's really not hard to lace and true a wheel using new spokes. For a stand I use the axle and jackstands. It may look complicated, but it's dead simple once you understand what is happening.

Many times the steel spoke will seize to the aluminum nipple and refuse to allow adjustment, so I'd just bite the bullet and get a whole new set. For the record, I have had a very good experience with tusk spokes.

A small flat spot or a bend in the lip of the rim won't be a problem (or be noticed while riding) as long as the bead seats well.

How much are new rim's and two spoke kits. Flat spots to be mean bent. I would think that would be hard to fix. Just to lace a new rim to hub is an art .
I am no expert on the topic, I've never bought a new wheelset.

My understanding is a good rim is about $200 +$100 for spokes and $50 minimum for labor
So, $350 x2 = $700 for a set. :(

Rocky Mountain ATV / MC has Tusk wheel sets it looks like 550. Dollars. If I read it right. They have rims for under a hundred and a good video on lacing wheels to hubs.

Last edited:
If you end up in the Austin area I would recommended Austin Moto Works.

In my infinite wisdom (never messed with spoked rims before...) I took a torque wrench to my Tenere spokes a week before a trip and made a royal mess of the front rim. Tyler at Austin Moto Works was the only shop in town from the half dozen I called that knew how to true it up. He had me fixed up within a few days and charged me less than $100 for the work.

trey

Resurrecting an old thread...is there anyone in the DFW area who can remove a hub from a 17" rim and relace it into a 19" rim?

I am in San Antonio, but if you have the correct spokes I could do it. I can do center spoke. Still need a new rim to attempt cross spoke.

I need to get my front wheel trued on my Yamaha Tenere 700. It's not out that much but a) I don't have the specialty tools and b) have no idea how to even begin to do it myself. Austin Moto looks like they only work on BMWs? Can someone suggest another shop that will true the wheel? @budzrex said JD Cycle but that's way over in Houston... TIA

I am in San Antonio, but if you have the correct spokes I could do it. I can do center spoke. Still need a new rim to attempt cross spoke.
Thank You for the offer. I think I found a shop locally to relace the new rim; I just didn't feel confident enough to do the job myself.

Back