• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Cycle Gear in Katy

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
124348395_178832250524548_6772823271098080251_o.jpg
123833489_178832267191213_218375430314023281_o.jpg
123841696_178832273857879_2860092524532687678_o.jpg
124267968_178832287191211_5262826774934895852_o.jpg

"One day to go! We will be open tomorrow. The store is full of the best motorcycle gear and accessories. We can’t wait for you to experience our new flagship store."

About time. I have been waiting for months since I saw the sign go up.

My daughter had applied there, and was offered a position in sales, till they realized she is only 17 (they only hire 18+). She turns 18 in a few more weeks, so she said she will reapply.

I can see a lot of my money going there, and if she works there, even more.
This looks so much nicer than their other 2 Houston locations, as well as much, much bigger.

Got a $20 off a $75 purchase coupon there on Saturday. I knew they were closed but heard they had someone outside handing out coupons and was in the area so I stopped. Inside is very impressive but tons too much open floor space at the moment. I would rather have rows and rows of more merchandise you can touch and feel than trying to make it like an upscale mall boutique store with helmets displayed 25 ft in the air and room for roller skating around.

Note: coupon has lots of brand restrictions but is valid until Dec-31. I stopped at the Greenspoint store on the way home and found a pair of boots on closeout clearance for half price and then the $20 off on that so was a trip well spent.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I'll say I do really like Cycle Gear - especially for helmets, pants, jackets, gloves, boots (you know, "gear"): stuff that needs to fit well. There's no good way to try this stuff on with an online-only place, and they are happy to order your size in stuff for you to try out. I've also fallen in love with Rev It gear which they stock. And their house-brand stuff isn't terrible and can be very cheap.

For parts, tools, tires, etc - well that can all be done online - but it is handy to go pick something up the moment you remember you forgot to order it a week before the trip starts :)

Perhaps some of that "tons too much open floor space at the moment" is to aid in Covid / distancing?

Yeah, once I've paid for it. Might as well just order it to my house. To me, brick and mortar stores are only a plus if they actually have what I want in stock.
Yeah, but if you order it to store and it does not fit, instant return.
But I am 4 miles from the store, and drive by it 2-3 times a week, so no issue for me.
If a store is not nearby, then yeah, it probably would be.
Got a $20 off a $75 purchase coupon there on Saturday. I knew they were closed but heard they had someone outside handing out coupons and was in the area so I stopped. ...
That would have been nice to get one of those.
Perhaps some of that "tons too much open floor space at the moment" is to aid in Covid / distancing?
That is kind of what I was thinking. The store opening has been put off for over 6 months already.

I am off work tomorrow, so will probably stop by in the morning and check the store out.

About time. I have been waiting for months since I saw the sign go up.

My daughter had applied there, and was offered a position in sales, till they realized she is only 17 (they only hire 18+). She turns 18 in a few more weeks, so she said she will reapply.

I can see a lot of my money going there, and if she works there, even more.
This looks so much nicer than their other 2 Houston locations, as well as much, much bigger.
It's not like it's a S.O.B. or she's applying to serve alcohol. Age discrimination... especially since there's no logical reason that anyone under the age of 18 can't do what the position entails...short of her not knowing anything about riding gear and bike parts and stuff.

Yeah, but if you order it to store and it does not fit, instant return.
But I am 4 miles from the store, and drive by it 2-3 times a week, so no issue for me.
If a store is not nearby, then yeah, it probably would be.

That would have been nice to get one of those.

That is kind of what I was thinking. The store opening has been put off for over 6 months already.

I am off work tomorrow, so will probably stop by in the morning and check the store out.
Both this store and the one on I45 are something like a half hour from me, minimum.

It's not like it's a S.O.B. or she's applying to serve alcohol. Age discrimination... especially since there's no logical reason that anyone under the age of 18 can't do what the position entails...short of her not knowing anything about riding gear and bike parts and stuff.
I know some insurance companies will not insure a store if it has employees under 18 or they will only hire "adults".
No idea if this was the case for Cycle Gear, but in most states (including Texas), age discrimination does not apply till age 40 and above.

I drove by it Friday evening. I didn't realize it was brand new.

Judging from the pictures, it looks like selection is about the same as the one on the gulf freeway, just more volume.

I've noticed they haven't stocked brands like Joe Rocket, Firstgear, or anything else that would compete with their house brands in stores for a while.

I do like that they will let you order online for store pick up now. Makes stuff like tires easier, no more having to make one trip to order it and another to pick it up.

When they first came to town they had a really broad line of gear but as time went by the good quality lower priced gear all went away and it became nothing but the store brand gear and my experience with that was not very good , for real cheap it was ok but sometimes I like better stuff and since all my bikes are from the other side of the right coast there is very seldom any parts that will fit anything I have . I’m not buying much gear these days anyway so doubt I’ll make a trip to it .

Well did not get to go by today.
Had to drop by mom's house to see why her printer was not working (no idea why, but I just rebooted the computer and turned the printer off and back on and it fixed it) then had a nice long talk with her. Was going to run by after that, but while at her apartment complex, I saw a mattress and a flat screen TV by the dumpster, so grabbed those and came home. Mattress is a bust, even though it had 3 covers on it, it smelled horrible (like old lady) and had quite a few stains on it. Tossed that. The TV actually works just fine, just no remote. Spent a coulple of hours taking down the 32" in the bedroom and putting up the 42" I found. Wife was happy.
Then went and picked up a new rolling cart and generator, and got sidetracked on getting that going.

Can't go tomorrow, working 7a-7p.
Maybe Thursday I will be able to make it by.

Used mattress, braver than me to even touch it, lol! Good find on the tv!

And it's next to Duluth Trading Co. !
I was at Duluth two weekends ago and saw the Cycle Gear opening soon sign. I'll have to make another trip now !

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

And it's next to Duluth Trading Co. !
I was at Duluth two weekends ago and saw the Cycle Gear opening soon sign. I'll have to make another trip now !

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I had never heard of Duluth Trading till about 4 months ago.
I spent a few hundred dollars there since then. Their firehose pants are tough and comfortable.

Finally went by the other day. Big store, and was actually very busy for middle of the day on a week day.
Tons of helmets (obvious from the pics), and a good stock of items of all types (touring, off road, sport etc) and the best thing is there is room in there between the racks. I know the other stores there is barely room to walk between displays, not an issue here.
I also really like their glove display. Set up with a sample glove on the outside then you open a drawer type thing and that gove is in there in all the sizes. Very well organized (hopefully they keep up on it and someone checks it).

I also realized Norther Tool is next to it as well, so 3 good shops all next to each other.

I also found out why they don't hire under 18, they are based in California, and all their stores have to follow the rules set by stores in Cali, and one of those is no employees under 18 (don't know they why of that part, I am still guessing insurance reasons).

Bed bugs would be the least of my worries! I find it very hard to believe anyone would actually grab a used mattress from anywhere much less a dumpster!!! Wow! :eek2:

Back