• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

(New Dates) Sept 15-22 - Yellowstone & points north

Reaction score
Edited - Let’s move the date back 2 weeks to Sept 14-22.

I’m thinkin about a ride up to Yellowstone, Sept. 14-22 I’ve never been there, & I reckon it’s time.

Will likely trailer to Fort Collins, CO. Ride north from there. Ride around Yellowstone NP, & time/weather permitting, would like to ride further north, maybe to Glacier NP.

Staying at cheap motels, eating at greasy cafes, riding all day, avoiding main highways, mostly backroads at a brisk pace, some easy dirt roads when available.

I can haul 3 more riders & bikes, if anyone is interested.

Schedule;
Friday Sept 14 - assemble at my ranch by dark, load trailer, stay at bunkhouse.
Sat Sept 15 - leave early, drive to Ft Collins, unload & stay the night
Sun Sept 16 / Fri Sept 21 - ride to Yellowstone & points north, back to the pickup that Friday night in Fort Collins
Sat Sept 22 - start the drive back to Texas.........

Last edited:
Re: Yellowstone Labor Day week

Keep us posted. My wife and I may be in that area around that time frame and could possibly meet up for a ride or maybe a pie run of our own making (the run, not the pie).[emoji16]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a decent trip.

I am a definite maybe ...

Might meet you on the road , I'll be leaving Shell Wyoming that Monday headed south by way of way eastern Colorado probly hit northeast Yellowstone sometime during the week in the two preceding weeks along with anything else that looks interesting .

If I go, I'll probably peel off somewhere and go to Seattle to visit my daughter.

Yellowstone roads will be bumper to bumper Labor Day weekend. Wait a week and it will be much better. Wait until late September and it is empty.

Yellowstone roads will be bumper to bumper Labor Day weekend. Wait a week and it will be much better. Wait until late September and it is empty.

I'm excited for you, or any other first time visitor. Its a big one, lots to see, with lots of slow traffic. Not too confident that one would be able to see 'everything'. Enough though to know what you'll really want to spend your time at on the next visit. By all means go if you can make it work!

Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons have been booked solid for months. There will be no lodging available within the parks, and it'll be slim pickings outside the park too. Try your best to have reservations made in advance. Even if you are camping, it will be very difficult to find a spot. Late September would be better, but I'd still want to book hotels in advance.

Last edited:

By "week of" Labor Day, do you mean leaving the Saturday before Labor Day? That actually is a pretty good strategy. We often travel NW that weekend and find long lines of RVs headed south, but not that much northbound traffic. Over that weekend, I'd expect the parks to be jam packed but, by Monday afternoon, the crowds should be thinning. It's next to impossible to get a reserved site in Yellowstone these days, but if you enter the park in the morning, you'll probably catch a 1st-come-1st-served site. Also consider getting a site the same way in the Tetons and basing from there. Yes, it's a long commute but the Tetons campgrounds are less crowded and generally offer better views. Plan at least 2 days to see YS, one each for the lower & upper loops. Another camping suggestion. My kids borrowed my camping trailer last year & went during prime season. They found an RV park near the west entrance (don't have the name, but I could get it for you). They thought it was surprisingly affordable and a pleasant place to stay.

That is when I am planning on going. Probably the last weekend of September into October. I was there a few years ago over that time frame and it was amazing.

Wait, I shouldn't say that. It was horrid, traffic all over the place, could barely move, nothing good to see over that time frame, terrible trip. Whoever is reading this, whatever you do don't go over that time frame. ;-)

Good choice. Still, avoid arriving on Fri or Sat. Sundays are good for arrival; all the weekenders are pulling out.

Yep, NOW you are going to have one heck of a good trip with quite a bit less traffic! It is going to be awesome!

Jay and I will be camping at Madison Campground in Yellowstone on the nights of September 15, 16, 17 on our return from Glacier. We might see you on the road.

I've stayed at Madison. Well located to see a lot of the park without moving.

Jay and I are on V-Strom 650's. Jay's is orange and mine is white.

Y'all don't want to hear about how it was in the mid-60s when a bunch of us would pile into a couple of cars in Idaho Falls and race to Jackson Hole for breakfast. Or when . . . . .
and . . . . . and got tanked on nickel drafts at Tipi's Teepee in Gardiner. Or . . . . .

Even though there is more than enough to see and do within the Park, I would be remiss not to mention that the 2018 Cannonball Run overnights just 2 and a half hours north in Billings on September 18th.

http://motorcyclecannonball.com/route/

There is a good chance Linda and I will be in Sturgis when they have their rest day there a few days earlier.

Back