• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Direction

How important is a plate in the Cloudcroft area? A friend has a place in Weed and from there a plate seems pretty important.

How important is a plate in the Cloudcroft area? A friend has a place in Weed and from there a plate seems pretty important.

Most of the time, I am on an unplated bike in Cloudcroft. When I say CC, I mean in the forest around Sunspot Highway. I have not had any law run ins on a dirt bike, but you hear about them. I don't hesitate to travel on Sunspot highway on the Timberon Highway if I am linking trails. Those are the only two roads--at least around the main riding off road riding area up there--that you may encounter law enforcement--local sheriff or State Patrol.

It is easy to get from Weed to the south end of the rim trail or the SE end of the forest to where you can access all of the trails without getting on the highway. The main issue that you will have starting from Weed is gas. The best riding up there is west and north ends and that is a LONG way from Weed.

You would be better off staging somewhere in the middle of the forest--say around Benson Ridge Road or even off 64 closer to Sunspot. Unload and ride from there. Weed is cool if you are dual sporting it or exploring, but if you want to ride the good stuff as it is now--it is a long way from Weed. Back in the day, there were some closer fun trails to Weed, but they have all disappeared off the MVUM over the years.

I wont ride dirt bikes above 85F. Street up to 90F. So my riding time in TX is over. CO and NM await.
I'm stupid, just sweat it out and go! Although the TORCS race almost got me. Weird I ride longer than that on my own, probably the rush of the race and no short breathers. Believe or not got one the last weekend of the month, this could be interesting.

Reactions: JMZ
John did you get all your mods done to the 350 yet? How are you liking it so far?

Chris, Mudtaco and I are starting the NMBDR next week on the 25th. We’ll be going for about 7 days if anybody is interested in any part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am interested in hearing about this ride. hope y'all will post up about it. JT and I have our eyes on the NMBDR...

i am interested in hearing about this ride. hope y'all will post up about it. JT and I have our eyes on the NMBDR...

Chris and I will start a post in the next day or two. We were talking today about needing to report.

daf120eacdc9b5b66aa532fa237b1277.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm stupid, just sweat it out and go! Although the TORCS race almost got me. Weird I ride longer than that on my own, probably the rush of the race and no short breathers. Believe or not got one the last weekend of the month, this could be interesting.

I'll be in the woods today after lunch! Bring it.

BTW, JohnF3, sorry for the thread hijack, back to your beautiful new bike build! Easy to go astray around here.

John did you get all your mods done to the 350 yet? How are you liking it so far?

I have done enough to get it ready to ride.

bwdmax,
I have made a few changes, but I am ashamed to say I cannot tell you how I like it, because it is unridden still. So, here are the updates with a ride report to follow hopefully soon.

--Changed rear spring to a WP 5.1 NM--stock is 4.3. I buy suspesnsion items from SDI, as they are a WP dealer and sell factory WP items, not aftermarket. When you order a spring, it is a factory WP spring. To get the shock out, you pull the rear linkage rods and then the swingarm. On the swingarm, it just has to move back a bit to allow clearance for the shock. Sounds like an ordeal but it was easy. While I had it all apart, I re-greased all the linkage and swingarm bearings/bushings. They had plenty of grease on them from the factory though.

--Set the static sag on the rear to 30mm. Did not have anyone to help me set the race sag, but the spring is correct for my weight, so it should be very close as is with the static sag set right. The new KTMs and Huskys actually have a "sag point" molded in the rear fender that you measure to, from the middle of the rear axle. Cool.

--Changed front sprocket to a 13 T. Stock is 14T. That is a big change but first gear on this bike is tall, and the feedback from others with this bike is that the 13T is the way to go. Easy enough to switch back.

--Acerbis skid plate, with linkage guard. This bike has cool factory mounting points for a skidplate, so no brackets or clamps are needed.

--Ergo adjustments. Minor handlebar and rear brake height adjustment. Added more freeplay to the rear brake lever too. The bike is small but I am going to try and ride it stock as far as the seat and handle bar heights.

--Graphics from Decal Works. You can use their design tool online to customize your graphics, or even make your own. I used a template they provided, and then added the colors and design I wanted. I like how it came out.

Next: Tubliss inserts and maybe a Rekluse. I have had bi level spine fusion and my left arm and hand don't work as good as I would like them to. The clutch lever is like butter, so I will be OK, but I had a Rekluse on my 450 and during a long race it can be nice.

Here is how it looks now:

Last edited:
Most of the time, I am on an unplated bike in Cloudcroft. When I say CC, I mean in the forest around Sunspot Highway. I have not had any law run ins on a dirt bike, but you hear about them. I don't hesitate to travel on Sunspot highway on the Timberon Highway if I am linking trails. Those are the only two roads--at least around the main riding off road riding area up there--that you may encounter law enforcement--local sheriff or State Patrol.

It is easy to get from Weed to the south end of the rim trail or the SE end of the forest to where you can access all of the trails without getting on the highway. The main issue that you will have starting from Weed is gas. The best riding up there is west and north ends and that is a LONG way from Weed.

You would be better off staging somewhere in the middle of the forest--say around Benson Ridge Road or even off 64 closer to Sunspot. Unload and ride from there. Weed is cool if you are dual sporting it or exploring, but if you want to ride the good stuff as it is now--it is a long way from Weed. Back in the day, there were some closer fun trails to Weed, but they have all disappeared off the MVUM over the years.
Thanks. Will probably be finding a group and staying in a cabin in CC, not a camper. :thumb:

Johnf3 ...I will be up there at CC with my strom so hopefully I can find some tamer stuff. July 29-3

I like those graphics. Hope your able to get out on it soon.

Back