• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Direction

Johnf3

Reaction score
In a concession to age and really just wanting to try something different, I ended up with this, a 2019 FX 350. I have been on a 450 for 10 years so this should be interesting. I have one tenth of one hour on it. I was concerned about how good it would wheelie, so I had to do a couple passes down the street. It will be just fine. I won't ride it or race it until I have everything the way I want on it, starting with the suspension. I am tall and umm big-boned. Riding season in Texas is about over for the summer so maybe I will take it up to Cloudcroft to get it dialed in this summer and then be ready for the last couple TSCEC races this fall and winter. I have a long list of stuff to add to it, just have to wait till the wallet and the wife cool off.

It does not have a kick starter, so most of you wouldn't ride it anyway, Ha Ha, :-P:-P:-P,

6FA438EA-5035-47ED-95E6-9072772063B5_zpsggqkqqkc.jpg

I could have fun spending the summer in Cloudcroft on a bike like that!

I'll be paying attention:coffee: closely. I always enjoy watching the setup process as you tailor a bike:flip: to your purposes. I think the 350 is a great platform, if i was in the market for a true dirt bike it would be at the top of my list.

Oh man, I hate that feeling of envy. Not the stewing wife part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what will be done (and why) before I even throw a leg over it. Most of this is already ordered:

Rear Spring: 5.2 K.G (stock is 4.3). The new chassis KTMs and Huskys use lighter spring rates than previous. I am 6'4" and 225. Ordered direct from SDI, which is where I get all my suspension stuff (I do my own re-valves, etc.) Don't have to worry about fork springs because the forks are air. I think I will be fine with this but if not I will convert to MX Tech's "Lucky" system. This turns your forks into a modern open chamber spring design and includes MX Tech's Huck Valve, which allows you to set up your forks plush and still have great bottoming resistance.

Tires: The brand new AT81 Dunlops on this bike will go to one of my sons. I will go with Dunlop MX33's or Michelin Starcross 5's. Probably the 33's because I have a brand new front one on my 450 I can steal.

Tubliss system: I have gotten hooked on the ability to run 6-8 PSI in my rear tire and it makes a noticeable difference in comfort and traction. Mousse inserts are the only true answer to no flats, but I take the chance for the benefits that Tubliss give. I cut a front tire in the rocks at Concho Enduro last month and had zero air pressure for 25 miles. The tubliss system still held the tire to the rim and in the last nine mile test I only finished 20 seconds behind my son, who finished in the top 5 Overall for the short course. Love the Tubliss system.

Skidplate/Linkage Guard: I am used to the KTM linkage instead of the PDS system, but it hangs down too far and drags too easy on rocks and logs. Acerbis makes a skid plate that also extends to cover the linkage so that is what I will run. There are tons of options for this.

Fit: This is a small motorcycle and I am not small. However, setting a bike up with handle bar risers, low pegs, tall seats, etc. is not optimal. It may feel better at first, but these changes have a negative impact on how the bike handles, especially tall bars or bar risers. I will leave everything for now and just make adjustments--brake level height, bar position, etc.

Gearing: I will ride it with the stock 14/50 gearing but may go to a 13 in front depending. The FX and XC bikes do not have a low first gear like the XCWs and EXCs. The advantage the 350 has over the 450 though, is that the 350 is a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed. I actually prefer the taller first gear and the close ratio transmissions that the SX , FX and XCs come with. Suits my riding style and where I ride.

More to come but this will get me started. Should start testing everything in the next two weeks.

Last edited:
I could have fun spending the summer in Cloudcroft on a bike like that!
Lets plan a trip,,,SERIOUSLY!!! If I don't get going again soon its gonna be over for me. Life is short,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,times a-wastin,,,,,,,,,,,,,giddyyup giddyyup!

Lets plan a trip,,,SERIOUSLY!!! If I don't get going again soon its gonna be over for me. Life is short,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,times a-wastin,,,,,,,,,,,,,giddyyup giddyyup!

I would love to do that. If you can plan a long weekend, just let me know the date and we can get something going. It is a long haul for you I know. It will be good from now until October. I will be up there Memorial Day weekend for the first time this year. There are a few TWT folks that know where my place is. If I have a bike with me I have been known to get a knock on the door and 30 minutes later we are out riding.

Phil "ToeJam" lives on the Sun Spot Highway. We rode with him the last time we were out there.

Chris, Mudtaco and I are starting the NMBDR next week on the 25th. We’ll be going for about 7 days if anybody is interested in any part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going thru something similar John. Still waiting till mid June for approval to ride dirt bikes (ACL repair) Did sneak a ride at Emma Long Sunday to set the sag. My 450 and my 2 stroke sold. '18 350 exc in the garage. De‐smogged, and a few other things removed for lighter weight.
Look forward to riding in NM with you later in the summer.

Some of you guys have a different type of riding, it does make a difference. I have mesh gear also, it is of little value in the tight woods in July-Sept.

Some of you guys have a different type of riding, it does make a difference. I have mesh gear also, it is of little value in the tight woods in July-Sept.
I can understand how riding in a steamy east Texas swamp at 10 mph would change my opinion.

This part made me do a double take. Is riding season ever over in Texas?

I am talking off road racing and riding the way my gang goes about it. Maybe the picture of my new bike is not showing up for y'all. :-P:-P There are a few riders here on this thread that understand, because they keep coming back for more. If any of you all want to go out and ride Rambo at LTR in the middle of summer be my guest. Make sure and have a helicopter pilot on retainer to get you out. Heck, even Irish has my back on this one. :-P:-P

Sorry for all the smileys. I am turning a new new leaf over and trying not to offend so many people, especially in my own thread when I have a new bike for the first time in 7 years.

Last edited:
I'm going thru something similar John. Still waiting till mid June for approval to ride dirt bikes (ACL repair) Did sneak a ride at Emma Long Sunday to set the sag. My 450 and my 2 stroke sold. '18 350 exc in the garage. De‐smogged, and a few other things removed for lighter weight.
Look forward to riding in NM with you later in the summer.

Beautiful bike Vinny. Since yours is street legal, we won't even have to hide in the garage with the door down while we wait for the State Police to go by (after we passed them on the SS Highway. That is just a joke, promise. :rider::rider:

And even better, we won't have to jet it trailside 5 times like somebody that used to have a two stroke Yamaha did last summer. Hope your knee is getting better. See what happens when you run into a bunch of West Texas heathens?

Reactions: Vec
I wont ride dirt bikes above 85F. Street up to 90F. So my riding time in TX is over. CO and NM await.

Back