• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New dude

Reaction score
Hi. Brand new member (and new TX resident) in central TX, gathering information and looking to possibly get my first bike. Very late to the party, 50 yr old. Researching the DR650 as my first bike for mostly 1/2 to full day back road/adv. riding (FM, old asphalt, gravel, dirt, double track). Maybe some easy cross country/single-track eventually and commuting on good weather days on smaller roads & hi-ways once I'm more experienced. No interstate. Been a bicyclist (road and MTB) for many years, but that's the closest I've been to this new interest. Ridden a MC on only a few occasions so pray for me LOL.
Got an ICON Airflite helmet in mind and looking at MC training courses now also.
Any advice on bikes, gear, routes, training academies, is appreciated.

Howdy and welcome.

I started riding when I was 47yo also coming from bicycles. A lot of it crosses over, but there is even more to learn on motorcycles. From 0-20 mph all the bicycle skills apply, but 20+ mph and things change a bit. Especially in terms of cornering and braking.

I think everyone should do a track day at some point. The skills you learn there would take years to learn through trial and error. Also, Bill Dragoo's ADV class is very good for dirt stuff. But there are a lot of good riders in Texas that would probably be happy to show you a few pointers.

Without making a "how to statement" , generally speaking they say if you make it through your first year of motorcycling without incident, odds are you will be a confident and good rider throughout your life. Never take anything for granted on 2 wheels.
:welcome:

Agree w Jarrett, cyclists naturally qualify.
PS, Suzuki's never die.

Check out MCRider and Mototrek on YouTube:

That guy from the mototrek videos does his own thing now. He started years ago doing videos in the snow on a Suzuki V Strom.

Welcome, Jack!

I’d recommend taking the training course before you buy a bike. (Bikes are provided at the class.)

Repeat the advice to go with a used, small (cc and height-wise) for your first bike.

And 50 is not too old!

Welcome again and look forward to hearing about your intro to the mc world.

Welcome, Jack!

I’d recommend taking the training course before you buy a bike. (Bikes are provided at the class.)

Repeat the advice to go with a used, small (cc and height-wise) for your first bike.

And 50 is not too old!

Welcome again and look forward to hearing about your intro to the mc world.
Thanks. Researching these 250's today. And yep, I plan to get my helmet and take the course first and then find a decent used bike, likely a 250 dual sport from the advice I'm getting. Glad I found this site!

Probably lots of good gravel/dirt roads around there. I circle around Rosebud, Lott, Cameron, and that general area, a lot.

Back