• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My problem is that I like to ride in the sticks (meaning the countryside), you can find the odd gas station almost anywhere, but all the time I rode something like that I would be worried how/where I can recharge, charging stations are just not going to be often enough in the areas I like to ride to make this viable for many more years!! Also whilst an hour is reasonable fast for a recharge, what am I going to do for an hour? I can't stop and eat food every recharge otherwise I would gain 500lbs, so need to find an activity to do whilst waiting for an hour almost every 90 minutes!! Love the idea, but just not realistic at this time given the areas I ride.

Gary

At $20K , I bet your gut was correct.

View attachment 233865

Specs:
140 ft-lbs. of torque
110 hp
124 mph top speed
161 miles in city
89 miles on the highway
Recharge in an hour
498 lb weight
Bosch Advanced MSC
Ride Modes
Cruise Control
Heated Grips
Made in the US
Price: $20,995
Bike Warranty: 2 years
Battery Warranty: 5 years

That is one of the better looking electric bikes I have seen. That torque is INSANE. It would definitely need anti-wheelie control! With those specs at that price, I think they are making real progress. Let's face it, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to throw $20K+ at motorcycles. I bet if they can get that range up around 200 highway running at 75-80mph sustained, people will really start looking harder at these. Touring folks probably won't until the charge times come down considerably. But even so, a one hour recharge isn't bad if you could work that into a lunch stop.

That is one of the better looking electric bikes I have seen. That torque is INSANE. It would definitely need anti-wheelie control! With those specs at that price, I think they are making real progress. Let's face it, there seems to be no shortage of people willing to throw $20K+ at motorcycles. I bet if they can get that range up around 200 highway running at 75-80mph sustained, people will really start looking harder at these. Touring folks probably won't until the charge times come down considerably. But even so, a one hour recharge isn't bad if you could work that into a lunch stop.
You have to remember , this is coming from a owner of a $8500 Suzuki ;-)

Last edited:
Next gen rechargeable battery

The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell’s energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours).

Great article , posting again

Regarding she specs and other riders average, I am always below everyone it seems.

If someone posts they get 10k out of a tire I will get 5, if someone averages 40 mpg I get 35.

On the electrics if the spec is 89 miles on a charge I will probably get 60 which means I have to start looking for a plug in at mile 40 :(

Well bike manufacturers have been fudging specs for a long time! So they always have to be taken with a grain of salt ;-)

The Alta's weren't bad, wish they had survived. I rode them more than once, performance was not a problem, pretty much a KTM copy on chassis and suspension. Range was weak but still 1-2 hour depending on pace, terrain.
Too bad Harley Screwed Alta. Partnered with them and then a year later mysteriously had their own bike. There are still some new Alta's around. I'm thinking of buying one. Definitely not a street bike, but I can ride it in the back 40 and my neighbors can't complain,.......even though they want too!

Too bad Harley Screwed Alta. Partnered with them and then a year later mysteriously had their own bike. There are still some new Alta's around. I'm thinking of buying one. Definitely not a street bike, but I can ride it in the back 40 and my neighbors can't complain,.......even though they want too!
Best thing about them! Stealth

I was hoping to eventually get an alta. The sound didnt play a role though
My neighbors know better than to complain about noise

89 mile range is the killer for me how do you enjoy a street bike when restricted to under a hundred miles range per charge. When I take a one of my street bikes out of the garage they generally roll up a couple hundred to 500 miles in a day. Thats 5 hours of charge time if I leave my House in NB make a fun day ride out to the hill country and back if I can find places every 90 miles to charge.

This type bike is suited for inner city commuters in my opinion.

Now offroad electric bikes are a great idea I rode the Alta and had it pegged as a next new bike purchase until they went under, lets hope Honda's electric CR and others follow suit, the key there is 90 miles of single track is a bunch of riding and frankly I would be happy for a rest while it recharges.

89 mile range is the killer for me how do you enjoy a street bike when restricted to under a hundred miles range per charge. When I take a one of my street bikes out of the garage they generally roll up a couple hundred to 500 miles in a day. Thats 5 hours of charge time if I leave my House in NB make a fun day ride out to the hill country and back if I can find places every 90 miles to charge.

This type bike is suited for inner city commuters in my opinion.

Now offroad electric bikes are a great idea I rode the Alta and had it pegged as a next new bike purchase until they went under, lets hope Honda's electric CR and others follow suit, the key there is 90 miles of single track is a bunch of riding and frankly I would be happy for a rest while it recharges.

If somebody makes an electric dirt bike that can do 60-70 miles at an aggressive race pace they’ll have a real winner. Heck, I’d probably settle for 50.

Mine too. These are city bikes for now.
That's the problem for me. I would love an electric bike for my commute and around town. But the cost is prohibitive. That money will buy a lot of gas for my vespa.

I figure in a few years they're going to improve both of those things.
I looked at a zero and brahma (sp?) in 2012 when I bought my explorer. They were saying the same things back then. I'm still waiting....

I looked at the new vespa electric for a second till I found out its limited to 30mph.

I would seriously consider a zero if there was one <10k OTD With the adaptor so it can be used at a charging station.

Of course all these electrics are for , as they are called, "early adopters". I actually think something like what Jarrett purchased could be a collectors item and will probably hold its value.
The early adopters bought one 10 years ago.

Back