• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I figure in a few years they're going to improve both of those things.

Wondering when the big dogs will jump into the game.
Hopefully we get more hardcore dirtbike offerings

A little more range, a little more power, a little more weight, and a little more money...yawn.

Alta was exciting. They were improving their product and dropping their prices each year. Zero seems to be on a much slower pace with improvements, and every improvement comes with a price increase. Of course, they’re actually still in business.

This one actually has less range and isn't much more than the previous flagship, but with a ton more bells and whistles.

It's the first one they've put out that has similar accessories on it compared to a top of the line KTM or BMW, but for not much more money that their previous bikes. Big tech step forward, not much of a price increase.

I guess. That stuff just doesn’t move the needle for me. I see this as an evolutionary development from a manufacturer (and on a greater scale an industry) that’s going to need something revolutionary to gain any traction.

I guess. That stuff just doesn’t move the needle for me. I see this as an evolutionary development from a manufacturer (and on a greater scale an industry) that’s going to need something revolutionary to gain any traction.
I'm not a loud pipes guy at all, but maybe they'll add programmable motor sounds from the likes of a late 90's Speed Triple, your favorite 2-stroke, or even a small block V-8. :lol2:

I'm not a loud pipes guy at all, but maybe they'll add programmable motor sounds from the likes of a late 90's Speed Triple, your favorite 2-stroke, or even a small block V-8. :lol2:

I don’t care about sound. I just want to be able to ride however I want for 100 miles or so with comparable weight, performance, and cost of an ICE bike.

I've got a longer wait than you as I'd like to be able to ride it however I want for 200+ miles.

At some point, there is going to be a leap in battery technology and then its going to get interesting.
The Alta's weren't bad, wish they had survived. I rode them more than once, performance was not a problem, pretty much a KTM copy on chassis and suspension. Range was weak but still 1-2 hour depending on pace, terrain.

An electric can-am ..... I like the sound of that. They make some awesome products.

I'm sure the electric bike would put a smile on my face.
A Speed Triple put a smile on my soul.

As the saying goes, Ride your ride.

Mileage is not the only part of the problem with batteries. The range is approaching that of some bikes with small fuel tanks. 150-180 miles range would be great and would start to see mass sales (as much as you can say "mass" about m.c. sales). Another big issue for batteries is the recharge rates.

It will happen, big innovations are to come in electrics. Probably would have happened last century (evolution of electrics) turn of century-19teens if not for the energy rich source of petroleum combustion. In some ways we are experiencing a replay of that time period in electrics
Thomas Edison electric car

Last edited:
This new model has the potential to recharge in an hour.

Stop for lunch at a charge port and be on your way after you eat.
Yes I read that, but no explanation of, and at what requirement for that recharge (availability of high rate charger etc). I know you know this too, just saying. High rate charging would and will be a simple fix to already existing infrastructure. Just like everything, there needs to be a need and demand for it in the wild and not something conjured up in Washington DC

Wonder how much range the heated grips consume if used.

Also...why do you really need cruise control on a bike that has an 89 mile highway range?

I'm a fan of the technology and will be an owner someday. I actually think the bike that Jarrett just bought for around 10-12K would meet my needs a bit more than this one though. If I'm spending 20K, I need to be able to ride it all day and actually go somewhere, not just mess around locally.

Back