• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New to TWT. I ride a '97 Concours with a little over 30,000 miles. Was looking for some ideas this morning as to how to change up my ride. I have had the Connie for 6 years now. I do have risers on the bars and even with that I still get a pressure point in my neck. So with that in mind along with wanting to add highway pegs, I came across a member's connie (Kurt Brown). It had been posted a few years back. I was wanting to get some details from him in regards to how he had transformed his bike into the naked version. Don't know if he is still active as member, but I figured I would try. Since this morning and after seeing his, I proceeded to remove the side plastics from mine, leaving only the very front fairing. If he is still around, I would really enjoy getting his ideas behind this. Thanks everyone.

I do have risers on the bars and even with that I still get a pressure point in my neck. So with that in mind along with wanting to add highway pegs,
On my 01 I had both the bar risers and the foot peg lowerers and that helped to some extent. I could do 500 mile days without too much of an issue, and 750 if I pushed it, but I'd be pretty sore afterwards. The highway pegs mount too high for my taste and don't allow me to stretch out unless I rest my heels on the top of the pegs.

All those issues went away after I invested in a Gold Wing, but I do wish I had kept my Connie for play.

Thanks for welcoming me everyone. Info on your '01 Connie much appreciated Mike. Heli Bars would most likely be the answer, however they are a considerable cost. Will most likely try changing the bars and pegs and see from there. I entertained the idea of a mid '80's goldwing like you have Mike. I do like the looks of that era of Goldwing, and I'm sure there are no issues with comfort. However I am leery buying a bike that was built when I was in high school, I'm 51. I still see lots of the those mid '80's out and about, and they are known to go for a insane amount of miles. However most are pushing 35 years, along with tired parts and pieces. Your thoughts Mike? Thanks.

Sorry guys, last post was for Brian - Texas T, not Mike. My apologies. Julimike54...your opinions about your era of Goldwing?

@MarkV I've owned the Wing since it came out of it's crate. I don't ride it for long distances much due to my newer ride having more tech and more comfort. That said I wouldn't hesitate to ride it on longer trips due to any infirmity of the machine. But I have to say that over the years I've rebuilt and maintained the machine, so it is something that would be an issue when buying one. A fellow, on one of the Goldwing forums that I frequent, bought an '85 LTD and he went through the entire machine to ensure that there wasn't something that would go haywire. Since doing that he's traveled on several long distance trips with little to no issues. Same forum, there is a couple traveling the 4 Corners on an '87, they've traveled over 7000 miles (so far) and no issues.

I've traveled over 65k miles on mine, it has never left me stranded (knock on wood). But there have been issues that were cause for more maintenance to be performed. Most issues were caused by "dealers" not performing maintenance that I'd asked them to perform. Hence I do all the work on the machine myself! Also one should be aware that most all dealers won't work on them anymore, so if on the road, you might have to work on the machine in a parking lot and hope the parts are available that you may need. That's why I think the thorough going over the entire machine is critical to it's success. The rubbers and fluids and electrical connections on 30 odd year old machines are going to fail if not maintained or brought up to a like new condition. The abuses of previous owners is what most people seem to discover when the go through them and can lead to a breakdown.

Thanks for the info Mike. As anything, it means everything to be able to work on what you own. All the best to you Mike and be careful out there, Mark.

Back