• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Husky 2 stroke!

Nice

Attachments

• pho_bike_90_re.jpg
    pho_bike_90_re.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 249
For off road use. Everyone hasn't liked in mx.

Yes I know, didn't word it right, wondering if that is a good thing or not?

After reading about air forks a little in the mags, I think it's a good thing because of the versatility. I like bikes that support the geek life.

But I can see that versatility become a problem for a person who just wants to ride with few worries.

That new 350 looks oh so very sweet in white and blue

Last edited:
KTM , Husky , Suzuki , Kawasaki and Yamaha teams are using the WP air fork in motogpmx and 90% of the Paris Dakar teams use the WP air fork.

The AER 48 air fork from WP has been around for a while now. It was stock on many of the Euro KTM/Huskys for 2016. In addition, the forks are available here in the USA from any authorized WP dealer. It only has an air spring in one fork leg. The other leg controls compression damping and rebound. Most of the reports are that it is the best stock WP fork that the KTM factory has even spec'd on their stock bikes. Which, considering how bad the current 4CS fork is, is good news. By the way, the air fork is a full three pounds lighter than the current fork.

Now, on the 2017 xcw/exc models that KTM will announce officially in a few days, that fork is going to be a new version of the open chamber fork that is currently on the same line of bikes. The big difference is one leg will have rebound, and one leg will have compression damping. This addresses one of the big issues with the current design which really has not been overhauled in basic theory for 15 years or more.

The new 2017 Huskys are cool, but we still see a white and blue KTM basically. I thought the product lines were going to diverge more than this. Anyway, with these new two strokes, KTM/Husky are going to raise the bar. They basically got the four stroke chassis of this year's MX models, and KTM applied the whole "mass centralization" approach to the two strokes now too. The bar has been raised.

Last edited:
All good to hear, good time to be an off road rider. John, you heard if the w models will have upgrades from the xcf line? New chassis and engine, ect.

Last edited:
All good to hear, good time to be an off road rider. John, you heard if the w models will have upgrades from the xcf line? New chassis and engine, ect.

Yes, to a point. The W models will still be PDS rear suspension--so no linkage on the W. I know they will get the updated mass-centralized and shrunk engines. The chassis update may not be quite identical to the linkage bikes but it will be new and improved. The forks, like I mentioned, will be brand new designed open chambers with separate rebound and compression--one leg does one thing.. Should be a very nice upgrade. The issue with the current design is that the mid valve compression and the rebound stack share the same valve. So, when you adjust the rebound on the current fork, you also alter the mid valve compression characteristics.

We will know exactly very soon. I think the official press release from KTM is the 19th this month.

Last edited:
I would be nervous about not having a kickstart for the 350, though

And oil injection on any 300 sure seems like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen

And oil injection on any 300 sure seems like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen

The 350 I have now doesn't have a kicker.

What happens when you need one?

Well, it's been a few years since automobiles had the hand cranks sticking out of the front of the engine, but at some point the hand-wringing about what to do stopped. Maybe about the time jumper cables were invented. :lol2:

Many of the KTMs and the brands they produce have shed their kickstarters. My 2010 Husaberg doesn't have one. Neither does my 450 SX. The e start systems are solid now. The new lithium batteries are strong and the charging systems on the bikes that do not have kickers are more reliable and powerful. Could something still happen? Sure. The micro lithium battery packs only weigh a few ounces and work good, there are motorcycle-sized jumper cables that work, you could bump start your bike (maybe), or you could carry a tow strap.

Heck, you could load up your pack to make sure you won't be stranded because your bike has no kicker and you could be struck by lightning before you even swing a leg over. Until that time, I am gonna buy what I want, kicker or not, and ride.:rider:

Beta's oil injection has proven reliable over several years now. They recently expanded it into their full range of two cycle bikes. It has an ECU that measures enough oil to match the engine load. Pretty trick. Can't wait for the other manufacturer's to try it. I suspect that the only reason we don't see oil injection on all makes, and direct injection for that matter, is that 2 cycles are only used for racing these days and the pounds aren't worth the convenience. :shrug:

My favorite bump start story happened outside of Barstow. The battery on my X died and without a kick starter we had to tow it with Rmans XR440 to bump it. (Yes, you can bump start an EFI bike.) Later, outside of Pahrump, Rman's kickstarter lever broke and we ended up bump starting his bike for the rest of the trip. Guess the moral of the story is to stay fit enough to bump start a bike no matter how it's setup.

And speaking of failures, I'm now getting worried about losing a seal and having no fork at all. At least with a spring you've still got something to ride with when the situation turns for the worse.

Welcome to the 21st century where modern technology eventually and always equates to improved reliability and convenience. Electronic ignition, monoshock, disc brakes, water cooled, fuel injection, electric start, etc. all combine to greatly enhance motorcycling for me and will keep me riding relative trouble free into my 60's, 70's and beyond (hopefully). Anytime saved wrenching means more time riding.

_

I think a lot of dnf's could be avoided by making vintage 2 stroke technology legal for racing. All this 21st century virtual reality technology is stunting the growth of a whole lot of young talent

And speaking of failures, I'm now getting worried about losing a seal and having no fork at all. At least with a spring you've still got something to ride with when the situation turns for the worse.

Only saw this after I posted. Touche! add another to the list. You're getting to be quite the naysayer. If I didn't know better I would think you were actually a nom de plume for TwoSmokeDS. Lol

_

Back