• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Indian

I signed up for a free one (twice) & nothing so far. Better check my spam again.

It'll be hours before some aftermarket guy comes up with a fix for that exhaust, if someone hasn't done it already.

My thought exactly High Pipes and single seat kits Operators are standing by to take your credit cards

I like it and have already signed up for a test ride and I have been getting emails since the concept bike from Indian about the possible then scheduled release.

My thought exactly High Pipes and single seat kits Operators are standing by to take your credit cards

Single 2 sided high exhausts like those on a KTM or DUC SMR or an under bike exhaust like those on a Kawi 650 ninja or Buell lightening could really look good and clean up the back wheel and swing arm area.

^^^ Can't be all things to all buyers.

Absolutely ... but you can be some things.

The thought that manufacturers build with the aftermarket in mind is ludicrous. Shareholders would have CEO heads on platters for purposely and knowingly leaving profit on the table.

Maybe it is a regulatory thing about the performance side. But what about ergonomics and style?

Real, functional luggage and racks, for instance. Not as a gimme, but as an option. Wind screens, skid plates, electronics mounts ... how is it that mom and pop shops can build a business out of it, but corporations can't (won't)?

If the sales part doesn't sway you, the finance revenue off of $1000 worth of accessories purchased at the time of the bike sale and rolled into the financed purchase price should.

m003958125_sc7?wid=512&hei=512.jpg

Absolutely ... but you can be some things.

The thought that manufacturers build with the aftermarket in mind is ludicrous. Shareholders would have CEO heads on platters for purposely and knowingly leaving profit on the table.

Maybe it is a regulatory thing about the performance side. But what about ergonomics and style?

Real, functional luggage and racks, for instance. Not as a gimme, but as an option. Wind screens, skid plates, electronics mounts ... how is it that mom and pop shops can build a business out of it, but corporations can't (won't)?

If the sales part doesn't sway you, the finance revenue off of $1000 worth of accessories purchased at the time of the bike sale and rolled into the financed purchase price should.

It's always going to be about ROI and that math is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, bike to bike. A lot of manufacturers do provide a wide variety of aftermarket parts and variations in styles to meet consumer desires. The GSA comes with at least three windshield options along with a lot of other accessories a buyer can add on. HD makes seven versions of the Sportster. It's not that they don't supply accessories, but where it is profitable.

As for why the aftermarket can make something and the OEM won't, that could be a lot of things. Labor agreements may make it cheaper for an aftermarket supplier to provide a product from overseas rather than the manufacturer making it in house. Sometimes the aftermarket can sell the same product across multiple manufacturers with only a minor change in mounting hardware making for economy of scale an OEM can't achieve. Touratech is an example.

It will be interesting to see if Indian can sell enough of this bike to drive a big aftermarket. I'm not in the market, but this is the first production motorcycle from an American manufacturer that I've been interested in.

Can't deny that some manufacturers get it ... you cited 2 good examples of the manufacturer understanding their customer.

I don't think the Japanese manufacturers do ... save for Yamaha.

A manufacturer on the scale of Honda or Kawasaki could, it would seem, use their enormous, world-wide scale to source parts at a lower cost than what Jesse, Touratech, etc. could.

I quick google search shows lots of Yamaha options for the Tenere. Honda AT ... sad.

Well I'm glad that's been resolved. Now for the paying for it part....

:puke::puke::puke: S&S shouldn’t have bothered.
Seem like it could be fairly straight forward to have a single exhaust per side setup, though.

Will rain get in the exhaust of the street bike when sitting in the parking lot. Maybe has a flapper like a John Deere,
Heat shields IMO only help with pipes beside legs, but do they ever look great! Riders will jump on this bike like a duck on a June Bug. Curious what recalls it will incur the first year. Hope MCN has a test bike soon. They tell it like it is since they have no bike advertisers. Just a matter of time till the adventure model comes on scene. We have seen Harley's Porky The Pig adventure bike prototype.

I like the looks of those, but I still have a scar on my left knee where my father dropped a high pipe BSA Gold Star on me 55 years ago. Maybe down pipe version?

Stock is kinda low.

Back