• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New KLR 650- Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!

My KLR was pretty darn terrible with the off pavement handling. The fix for mine was all about the shock. Mine was super sensitive to having too much rear sag and when it did, the front end was super unstable and it would want to either plow straight ahead or lay flat on the ground. Couple that with the fact that I am pretty sure the stock springs were setup for someone the size of a 4 year old, and that didn't help it at all. I'm 99.9% sure that it just really didn't like having the extra rake/trail on the front end that the saggy rear end caused.

As soon as I put the little Progressive shock on the back of mine, it was literally 10x better in the loose stuff. No joke, I was pretty darn shocked with the difference. Normally I would be pretty darn upset about having to put an entirely new shock on a bike, but I paid $1200 for the thing so I had plenty of money left over for spare parts. I don't know if the later gen models were any better, but the first gen's suspension was pretty dad gum terrible. Easy to fix, but pretty terrible from the factory.
Good point.

I hadn't thought about it just being sprung light.

A heavier rider would definitely magnify the problem.

I had a Yamaha FZ09 like that. I loved the bikes engine but it felt sketchy in corners and especially faster ones. My son, who weighed 150, loved it and had no idea why I didn't like it.

Basic stuff like springs and sag settings make a massive difference.

Tough to figure things out.
Appears you have lots of time to decide if you think you want the new KLR. :)

While you wait, maybe try for something used to see if you like it. You can sell for close to your purchase price if you dont.

Bought 4 bikes in the last 2 years. Not really wanting more garage clutter.[emoji1787][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
The key is selling them when you buy others...

I'm not good at it either.

Although...I'm down to 7 from a high of 12, so I'm getting better.

To far out to get excited about just yet. Looks good at first appearance but the jury is still out.
I'll be keeping an eye out for demo days with this as an option.

Back