• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New KLR 650- Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!

Seems big singles are dead...
If mainly some form of dirt, a single! Heck if it stays as a 650/700 probably a single anyway.
I thought thumpers of this size were largely dead due to emissions. Most everything in this range is a parallel twin, aren't they? What's the largest newly released single out there?

Still have the Husky and KTM, 690 and 701. Seem to work fine.

I thought thumpers of this size were largely dead due to emissions. Most everything in this range is a parallel twin, aren't they? What's the largest newly released single out there?
Of course you may be on the right track. Just to be in the dirt a single is better. Should be lighter, more tractable power and just feel right! Maybe a hair simpler maintenance but with modern motors might not be.

Husky 701
Tenere 700
KTM 690
KTM 390 Adventure

I don't really see a meaningful spot for a new KLR at this point.
My reply was to the single vs twin question. Tenere'7 is a twin I think??!!

Husky 701
Tenere 700
KTM 690
KTM 390 Adventure

Now using that logic we don't need but one brand in each displacement, choices is what Americans want, lol.

I think the 650 Honda and Suzuki DR are still on the table. Actually not sure about the Honda, need to check that one.

2021 Honda 650 still there and dated. Air-cooled and carbed. I was thinking the 650R was watercooled, guess they bring that to the d/s model.

Husky 701
Tenere 700
KTM 690
KTM 390 Adventure

I do. While I like the Tenere 700, I would certainly be down for a revised single cylinder KLR. As for the KTMs and Husky I just don't want to own them.

I do. While I like the Tenere 700, I would certainly be down for a revised single cylinder KLR. As for the KTMs and Husky I just don't want to own them.
Are newly designed, large displacement singles still on the table at this point?

What's the largest new single design that has come out lately?

Don't forget about the SWM 650 x and T. It's a new bike but uses a rehashed version of the old Husky 610 Engine. Gets good reviews, but I don't know anyone here with one. If Kawasaki doesn't come thru, I'm gonna take a good look at one. AF1 racing in Austin sells them locally.

Don't forget about the SWM 650 x and T. It's a new bike but uses a rehashed version of the old Husky 610 Engine. Gets good reviews, but I don't know anyone here with one. If Kawasaki doesn't come thru, I'm gonna take a good look at one. AF1 racing in Austin sells them locally.
The AJP uses the same engine in little bit more dirt style chassis. @Tbucket has the AJP.

SWM-Superdual-X-Adventure-Motorcycle-3-768x512 (1).jpg

I do. Think Royal Enfield Himalayan instead of Husky 701 or anything KTM. Slow, tractor-like power, comfortable, capable, big tank and load capacity. The Himalayan seems totally alone in the cheap, low tech dual sport segment.

Are newly designed, large displacement singles still on the table at this point?

I have no idea. You asked what the point was, and I answered. :) I'm not an EPA lawyer and don't want to be. I was just saying that there is most certainly segment that is missing. Maybe it is missing because of current emissions standards or not, who knows? I know that I heard 2-strokes were going to die out 15 years ago and yet here they still are, so I guess anything can happen. :rider:

Good point on the 2strokes and there's a good chance if KTM had ditched them they would be dead. But look what we have now, they're pretty darn good and modern.

Make a good point as far as new one on the table. But at the same time what totally new engine designs are out there. Most are rehashed motors of some sort.

Thanks for the reminder, I did forget. Good solid bike at good price point.

Those seem like cool bikes based on an old engine design.

Make a good point as far as new one on the table. But at the same time what totally new engine designs are out there. Most are rehashed motors of some sort.
I just wonder in this EPA era, are new 600+ cc single designs allowed.

I got the feeling the only reason the KLR, DR and XR stayed around was due to a grandfathered design.

I just wonder in this EPA era, are new 600+ cc single designs allowed.

I got the feeling the only reason the KLR, DR and XR stayed around was due to a grandfathered design.
No idea and you're probably right, especially the air cooled and carbed bikes.

KLR was water-cooled in the end wasn't it? Not sure if it ever went EFI. Never rode one and probably won't ever ride one, lol.

Back