• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New KLR 650- Tomorrow is the BIG DAY!

I just wonder in this EPA era, are new 600+ cc single designs allowed.

I got the feeling the only reason the KLR, DR and XR stayed around was due to a grandfathered design.
You think it's the engine or the carb, no catalytic converter, and air-cooled part getting them? I mean for now 690/701 seem to exist ok.

Seems KLR were water-cooled but kept the carb. I imagine any carb at this time will have a hard time staying EPA legal.

"HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES READY TO LAUNCH FIRST TRAVEL MOTORCYCLE * NORDEN 901 CONCEPT CONFIRMED FOR PRODUCTION IN HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES’ STREET LINE-UP Following the extremely successful unveiling of the NORDEN 901 Concept model at EICMA, Husqvarna Motorcycles are pleased to announce that this exciting, new twin-cylinder machine will go into production, a move that underlines Husqvarna Motorcycles’ growing commitment to the street segment. Breaking cover for the first time during the International Motorcycle show in Italy, the NORDEN 901 received high levels of interest from the hundreds of thousands of attending motorcycle fans as well as the motorcycle media. Now set to become a key addition to Husqvarna Motorcycles’ street line-up, the dynamic and versatile long-distance traveller will offer the modern motorcycle rider a balance of practical accessibility and comfort. Forming Husqvarna Motorcycles’ vision of an adventure-touring motorcycle, the NORDEN 901 is a dynamic, twin-cylinder motorcycle that features advanced rider ergonomics and high performance based on years of rally experience. Featuring distinct, modern design, it delivers both outstanding street and offroad performance. Class-leading lightness and power delivery is set in a versatile and accessible package, precisely arranged to allow discerning riders uncompromised exploration possibilities. Delivering effortless rideability and high-end modern equipment the NORDEN 901 can be used on daily commutes, extended adventures and everything in between. TECHNICAL HIGHLIGHTS * Slim and light adventure touring motorcycle * 889.5 cc parallel twin engine specifically tuned for adventure usage * Perfect balance between offroad performance and touring ability * 21” front wheel, 18” rear * Comfortable ergonomics and confidence inspiring handling * High quality WP suspension components "
NORDEN_901_CONCEPT_7.jpg

You think it's the engine or the carb, no catalytic converter, and air-cooled part getting them? I mean for now 690/701 seem to exist ok.
That's true. When did they come out? I wonder if that plays into it. Maybe I'm off.

FI is the key. Catalytic converters help with small amount of emissions. Air cooled vs water cooled, Water cooled bikes run at a more constant temp which aids in controlling the combustion process so the ECU on the water cooled FI bike can definitely have tighter control over air fuel ratio.

That's true. When did they come out? I wonder if that plays into it. Maybe I'm off.
In reality neither one has changed much in our lifetime, lol. Not sure when tho, of course the 650 was a 600, but doubt there was much real updates

Seems big singles are dead...

I thought thumpers of this size were largely dead due to emissions. Most everything in this range is a parallel twin, aren't they? What's the largest newly released single out there?
I can't remember exactly, but don't the KTM's and Husky's have two plugs per cylinder? This is usually done on bigger bore/piston designs to improve combustion and power, but it also cleans up emissions to some degree. I only mention that to say that engineering technology can keep the big single in the race as far as emissions IMO. I don't think emissions is killing big singles as much as the market. While I find the big KTM and Husky singles truly impressive, I think the buying public is not as hot on them compared to some other multicylinder options available.

The EPA is the one that's killing off the old school bikes here now with the fleet emissions rules, though they aren't the ones preventing modernized versions or new carbureted or air cooled simple designs. It's the euro regulations that have done that. The 650 thumpers haven't been sold in Europe for something like 20 years. I doubt any Japanese manufacturer is going to bring to market a bike they can't sell in Europe. It's silly to make a bike that's too big for the 3rd world market, but can only be sold in the Americas and Australia. Not a good use of R&D money. All the little bikes with emissions hardware help with the fleet emissions rules from the EPA, can be sold in the third world, and pass euro emissions. It's no wonder we keep seeing more of them.

Last edited:
I did not know that, wow. All makes a little sense now.

The AJP uses the same engine in little bit more dirt style chassis. @Tbucket has the AJP.
I Sure do and love the bike. Very stable and handles like a dream. Almost no vibration & 200 miles fuel range. @ 350 lbs it is very easy to maneuver in the tight stuff. Any body is welcome to try it if you are in Houston area

Attachments

• 0487FB27-02AA-4515-AD70-63CB78323AC4.jpeg
    0487FB27-02AA-4515-AD70-63CB78323AC4.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 170
I Sure do and love the bike. Very stable and handles like a dream. Almost no vibration & 200 miles fuel range. @ 350 lbs it is very easy to maneuver in the tight stuff. Any body is welcome to try it if you are in Houston area
Do you know how engine tuning compares with the SWM superdual version? I know the AJP chassis is on another level.

I honestly think it's a pretty cool new bike announcement for once. Suzuki over there twiddling their thumbs and ******** out the most boring bikes ever.

Well folks, it is tomorrow or nothing at all. The teaser video on their site certainly wants us to believe that it is something dual sporty but that could be a 300, or who knows what. We will find out tomorrow around 8am our time.

Back