• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New member and purchase question

Reaction score
Hey all. New guy here from Austin, looking to get a dual sport after a LONG time. (I got my last dirt bike, an Elsinore MT250, the same year I saw Led Zeppelin - if that's any indication of age) I had few street bikes 20 odd years ago (CX500 followed by a Nighthawk 650) but nothing since. Mostly looking to ride at Hidden Falls and down around Marathon.

My first choice is a used CRF 250L or Rally or possibly a KLX 250s. Not having much luck finding anything local. Even RideNow has ZERO dual sport 250's in stock. So here's my question:

If I find a bike 200-400 miles away, what's a good process? I'd hate to drive that far unless I was almost positive I was going to purchase it. So wouldn't I want to settle on a price beforehand? And should I offer a deposit so they don't sell it out from under me? Is it possible to haggle on a bike you haven't even seen? Any advice or caveats would be much appreciated and looking to make some new friends out on the trail.

Cheers,

Welcome to the forum.

Get a new KLX300. I think there are some local last I heard. Lighter and more powerful than the 250's and will likely fare better in the off road parks.

But yes to the other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kawasaki has delivered 2021 Ninja 650s and Z's to dealers. You should be able to find a new KLX soon. I would see if your local dealer can put you on a waiting list.

I probably should have added that my budget is around $4500. Not looking at much long highway miles and mostly just trail riding, not technical work like rock crawling.

The 250's will fit that well. Just missed a nice one here a week or so back unfortunately.

That last one looks great, but it's 4 hours away. It's the logistics of verifying the condition, agreeing on a price and some kind of guarantee that it won't get sold out from under me (which has already happened. "Sorry, somebody offered me $$ over my asking price") before I make the journey.

I've bought many bikes from a long distance but there's one thing you have to be willing to do, and that's walk away from the bike if it isn't as described. That said, with detailed cell pictures, maybe a video or two, and reading between the lines with the owner you usually can get a good 80+% feeling on whether the bike and deal is as described.

If you're asking the owner to hold the bike over a weekend or multiple days then yes, I'd say a deposit is in order. If you're heading that way right now then I'd rely on a gentlemen's agreement. It all comes down to how you feel about the seller.

I've only had one person jack me around and sell the bike from underneath me even though we had a deal and I tried to insist he take a deposit. In the end he ghosted me for a few hundred dollars. Oh well. Overall every bike I've bought or sold I've really enjoyed the owners I've met and their motorcycle enthusiasm.

That last one looks great, but it's 4 hours away. It's the logistics of verifying the condition, agreeing on a price and some kind of guarantee that it won't get sold out from under me (which has already happened. "Sorry, somebody offered me $$ over my asking price") before I make the journey.
These Japanese dual sports are so bulletproof, its hard to imagine one that is a year or two old would have any major issues, barring a recall or something.

Now getting them sold out from under you, that's a different deal. That's just part of wheeling an dealing on motorcycles.

Did you see this post?

I bought my current VStrom from a guy in Little Rock (I was in Arlington). I made the deal over the phone with an agreed-upon price if the bike met expectations. Our deal included an agreement - one that I offered - that the deal was go or no-go at the agreed-upon price. In other words, there would be no trying to haggle the price down once I was there. It was a win-win deal.

When buying a bike from a distance, talk to the seller by phone, and don't be bashful about asking politely pointed questions. If you're going to drive 300 miles to pick up a bike, the seller should be totally willing to give you assurance that the bike is everything you expect it to be.

Welcome.

You can always post up to see if there are any TWT members who would go do the legwork for you. Simply post up what it is, where and try to work something out with them. I'd probably surf the Texas Adventure sub-forum since that's a huge concentration of the type of riding you're looking to do. Good luck!

Reactions: JMZ
Close this pre-purchase thread cuz here it is!

I'm going to be at an airbnb in Terlingua (on Terlingua Ranch Road just east of 118) March 15-19 and would love to meet some other riders or even just get some info on where to ride in that area (Agua Fria Rd?)

(In the meantime, I need to find some beginner trails around Austin to practice on. From what I've read, Emma Long may be a bit above my skill level for now)

See you out there somewhere.

b01 - 1.jpg

We never close threads here. Long after the original subject matter is dealt with, we just continue to ramble on forever and ever and ever and ever and ever............... :roll:

Reactions: JMZ
Back