• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member in the Brazos area.

Reaction score
Howdy, currently do not have bike as I only recently obtained my motorcycle license. Looking forward to all the insight this forum has to offer as well the classifieds.

Welcome, soooo many options to browse and research. Good luck. What type of riding are you wanting to do?

New M endorsement. Oh man, what a fun time. Welcome.

All those bikes out there, but which one to get?

This bunch will talk your ear off on that topic :)

Well the goal is to start on weekend camping trips on the bike to places like Sommerville, Bastrop, Whitney, or Sam Houston just to figure packing, level of long term interest, and exactly what kind of bike will be right for me. For the future the hope is to get into a bike that can take me and gear from hear to Big Bend do workable job off road and eventually to places like Idaho, Montana, or Alaska. For a bike right now, I am looking for something I can make mistakes on, relaible, and used. Top three that come to mind are the Versys, Vstrom, or KLR. I will say though the Himalayan looks like a fun little tool, I just dont think I would want to deal with its lack of power when interstate travel would be needed.

Depending on your weight and gear, a KTM 390 Adventure will do that. Considerably faster on the highway than a Gen 2 KLR for example. More comfortable there as well, imo. Not sure I'd want to ride any of those to Alaska though.

Could buy @misterk Africa Twin. It's been to all those places already and probably knows the way back :)

Welcome from the Southwest contingent.

It sounds like you've been doing your homework and you should be able to get a lot of opinions on those bikes. I would suggest another post in just the regular General forum stating pretty much what you've said above and ask for opinions on the various bikes listed because not everyone pays attention to the Introduction section.

Also look for meetups in your area and try to attend those as some of the riders may be on the bikes you're interested in. I agree with you on the Himalayan. Itchy Boots on YouTube rode one for a couple of years through India, the "stans", South America, etc and it seemed to perform quite well, but as for highway riding, I think you're right.

All I'm going to say on the 390 is watch the following video.

And this is my obligatory ask, are you going to college down there?

Thanks and Gig 'em

Welcome! You're from the Brazos area... As in Bryan/College Station?

Back