• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico, Again!

It's been 9 days since my wife and I returned from a 15 day trip to California. Your pictures and those of Jeephoto have convinced me I need to return to New Mexico and slow down my pace. I hope you don't mind, but I would like to steal your route and agenda after I have done the same to Jeephoto. It cuts down on planning time. I leave on Friday.
Of course, John is happy to. What's your choice: GPS tracks or Google maps, or both?

As I type this, we are in Tx. Spent last night at Davis Mountains SP. Never seen the area this green before. It is gorgeous.

Just finished lunch at the picnic area east of Sheffield on hwy 290, the one on the bluff with an expansive view and not 1 but 3 hysterical markers. A little out of the way but worth it to us.

Too bad it was raining at Canyon de Chelly. It was beautiful weather when I was there in 2018. I hiked down into the canyon to see White House cliff dwellings. There was graffiti from visitors from the 1800's! Some people are jerks. Anyway, the canyon is beautiful.

Same trip, I also went to Window Rock. That area is also gorgeous.

Thanks for the wonderful pics and narratives. I agree with many, the land of enchantment.

Balloon Fiesta starts this weekend in Albuquerque. It runs for 10 days or so. If you’re in the area, it’s a neat thing to see.

on a previous trip to nm we weren’t in ABQ and we didn’t realize the balloon fest was happening. What a great surprise to look up and see several balloons in the distance.

Miss Bay, quit messing around and get some more pics from this trip loaded and add some clever commentary!! And rule #1....if MacGyver, or whatever dweeby name you gave your bike, if he goes down in the dirt......you must take and post pics. If you face plant in the sand, you are obligated to wait for your wingman to get a pic. This is journalism 101. Get your rear in gear!!

1664374375021.png

My wingman usually only takes pix of me if I think to ask him to! Why do you think there are so many more pix of him than there are of me?!

As far as the face plant,,, the sand was deep and soft enough that even tho my foot was pinned, I was able to wriggle out easily before Wingman could get off his bike. I didn’t notice the sand packed into the grill on the chin bar til the next day. Lol

But, yessir, I need to get humping on this RR while it is fresh and before I work this coming weekend. And Wingman needs to post maps, tracks that have been requested.

I have a standing rule, Grape is not allowed to wiggle out from under the bike or right the situation till I have documented the endeavor. And he tends to provide plenty of material ha ha. He gets mad at me sometimes, but you can't stay mad at me when I'm grinning.

1664376425124.png

These rules of journalism were clearly laid out before we rolled out. Unfortunately I had plenty of practice and I did my best to comply.

Idaho sit down.jpeg

These rules of journalism were clearly laid out before we rolled out. Unfortunately I had plenty of practice and I did my best to comply.

You complied wonderfully for 5 days and a 1000 miles. It was a playwright's delight....till The Great Fallopian Fallout incident. Just so everyone knows, @bwdmax had surgery last Friday and all went well. This is what the doctor sent us to explain the tubal ligation procedure to his knee cap. They had to remove the cap, note the arrow, ligate the tube, then put the cap back on. Good as new and ready for future cycles.

1664390101203.png

I guess I can try and redo this ride and put that map in my tank bag flap, hope the string stays put.

Alright, where the heck were we? Ah, yes, rainy day through Chuska Mountains, abandoned Canyon de Chelly Natl Monument due to rain, visited Window Rock, experienced one full day with no cell or internet. Arrived at Ancient Way RV Park, near El Morro Nat’l Monument. The skies kindly held their water while we set up camp that evening.

Next morning, we breakfasted at the Ancient Way Café. Attempted to hike to Big Tubes, denied due to rain. Did hike Bandera Volcano and Ice Cave. Got cold and wet riding back to camp. Dinnered at the Ancient Way Café. (How come we can say “breakfasted” but not “dinnered”?)

Next morning, vamoosed to our next location, Apache RV Park, 9 miles north of Reserve on hwy 12. I chose this area for an overnight stay primarily to break up the long drive from El Morro to Mimbres (260mi). (We don’t get early starts. And we don’t drive very fast.) I figured we would spend a half day riding some nearby forest roads with no particular goal.

I'd like to say that we keep a neat camp site and this mess is because we are drying things out because of the rain the day before. While that is true (I couldn't fit in the camera frame all the stuff hanging on fences) it is also true that our campsites almost always look like this. Hotel rooms too. Sigh
IMG_20220923_090832860.jpg

John remembered hearing about the Catwalk, (he’s good like that.) So after our things were dry, we packed up and drove to Glenwood to walk the Catwalk.

Meow!
IMG_20220923_130835884.jpg

IMG_20220923_131018623.jpg

Ah, the caged rock, yearning to be free...

IMG_20220923_131130665.jpg

IMG_20220923_131810919.jpg

IMG_20220923_132832684.jpg

20220923_133918.jpg

20220923_131432.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_131203098.jpg
    IMG_20220923_131203098.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 83
Balloon Fiesta starts this weekend in Albuquerque. It runs for 10 days or so. If you’re in the area, it’s a neat thing to see.
Its a neat deal to attend, but boy it seems like the entire town is there. I got a picture of myself with Boba Fett when we were there. They had some really killer balloons. Star Wars shaped ones included. They had a chain saw carving deal, Indian dances, and a ton of vendors.

Back