• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico, Again!

What was the longest hike that you did on this trip?

JT can look on his gps and tell you for sure but I think it was the 4.7 miles we spent wandering (and wondering) in Valley of Dreams. That place is crazy. Difficult to find the “trailhead” and then there is no trail. At all. You are free to wander about.

Mountain Spirits RV Park in Mimbres surprised us. Very pleasant place. Liked it and the area so much, we stayed a 2nd night.

IMG_20220924_093505720.jpg

Mountain Spirits RV Park office and shower rooms.

When planning this trip, I wanted to start in Mimbres. On a previous trip, I was struck by this valley and looked forward to visiting it again. When I found out about the Harvest Fair, I up-ended the itinerary; instead of starting in Mimbres, we would end there. Just to coincide with the fair. And it did not disappoint.

IMG_20220925_092315154~2.jpg

IMG_20220924_105257247.jpg

The fair was like a slice of America at it’s best. Blue skies, sunshine, pleasant temps, families walking together, laid back live music coming from one tent, interesting vendors, great food. I ate too much, (homemade choc chip pecan cookies, small basket of fresh, local blackberries, a bar of fancy chocolate (made by the person who sold it to me), lemonade we bought from a 5 year old, a giant Fry Bread taco AND a slice of Bourbon Apple pie.)

IMG_20220924_120134456.jpg

IMG_20220924_121248229.jpg

IMG_20220924_111215980.jpg

I bought some wares. I tried to take some candid shots of fellow fair goers. I got some concerned looks from people. I put my phone away and enjoyed the fair.

IMG_20220924_100820499.jpg

IMG_20220924_104814809.jpg

Struck up a conversation with a man while waiting for Indian Fry Bread tacos. He and his wife were from Montana and had planned to retire to Truth or Consequences. They were passing thru Mimbres, on their way to T or C when the state shut down due to the pandemic. They were stuck in Mimbres for 2 months. They are still here and have no intention of leaving. He said, ‘You know, having water is nice.’ He’s right, although there are hot springs in T or C, it is a dry, dusty little town.

Seemed as though everyone I talked to had moved here from elsewhere. The owners of the RV park, the artist I bought a small jar from, the chocolatier-- Can’t say I blame them.

We left the fair around 2p. John wanted to ride hwy 152. First, we rode into Silver City to fuel the bikes. We passed by the Santa Rita open pit mine. I took photo of oversized dump truck as it passed by. The pic completely fails to convey the scale of the truck, or the mine. Oh well.

IMG_20220924_131913361~2.jpg

IMG_20220924_131815503.jpg

Sign on gate says to begin left hand driving in the mine. Wonder why?

We headed up the twisty ribbon of hwy 152. Not raining, but pavement was wet. John with aggressive knobbies played it conservatively. We pulled into the Emory Pass overlook. Talked with a couple of women. One of whom was especially enthusiastic about our bikes. Kept commenting on what a great way it would be to see the country. Then they hopped into their white hatchback and waved bye.

IMG_20220924_140434851~2.jpg

IMG_20220924_142906737~2.jpg

IMG_20220924_143801888.jpg

We strolled the outlook, read the questionable sign regarding the natives of the area.

When we pulled out, I took the lead and stepped up the pace just a bit. As we caught up to the white hatchback, she pulled over and let us pass. Waves all around.

It was nice to return to camp and have a relaxing evening. We loaded the bikes onto the trailer. I did a load of laundry. We cooked dinner at camp. Turned in early.

Next day we say hasta luego to New Mexico. We have 360 miles to get to Davis Mountains State Park.

When we get there we find the mountains greener than either of us have either seen. Just gorgeous. Another quiet evening with clear skies. There was a star gazing party nearby. Three VL (very large) telescopes had been set up. John and I gazed at the Milky Way without the benefit of magnification. I was happy to be where I was but still tinged with sadness that the trip was over.

All that remained was the long slog on I10, picking up the mutts, getting home and unpacking a mountain of stuff.

We stopped for a picnic lunch at this rest area. Lots happened here cuz there are 3 historical markers. Plus a plaque that say the land for the picnic area was donated to TXDOT. Thanks Mr. Cox!

IMG_20220926_130140898.jpg

To cheer myself up, I spent a good portion of the drive back plotting another trip to the Land of Enchantment.

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_121248229.jpg
    IMG_20220924_121248229.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Excellent write up and photos, Gina and JT! Thanks for taking us all along on your adventure. I'm curious about something. Did any RV parks refuse a stay with them because you were in a pickup with a camper shell? I'm building a camper box that will set on the front of my utility trailer and will load my bike on the rear of the trailer. I'm wondering about the pickiness of some parks.

Excellent write up and photos, Gina and JT! Thanks for taking us all along on your adventure. I'm curious about something. Did any RV parks refuse a stay with them because you were in a pickup with a camper shell? I'm building a camper box that will set on the front of my utility trailer and will load my bike on the rear of the trailer. I'm wondering about the pickiness of some parks.

Although I have heard of parks refusing units that do not have a RVIA badge, we didn't run into any problems.

Here in tx, I've had a couple of places ask me to send photos of my little travel trailer, because it is older than 10 years.

Hope this helps

Although I have heard of parks refusing units that do not have a RVIA badge, we didn't run into any problems.

Here in tx, I've had a couple of places ask me to send photos of my little travel trailer, because it is older than 10 years.

Hope this helps
Thanks! Maybe I won't run into discrimination. Lol

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Thanks! Maybe I won't run into discrimination. Lol

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
Those badges are available cheap at just about any junk yard, drill out the old pop rivets and pop in the new.

Reactions: JMZ
Soon no more unpacking. You can just leave it all in the new to you trailer. Makes me miss NM. Might be able to make a short trip there but it will be in 4 wheels. Will have two passengers. I will tell you about the new passenger when I see you two next.:deal:

Back