• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico / Colorado trip

h2000fb

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ramsey
Ok, not very experienced at this as is evidenced in the fact I forgot to take pic of our Food! Say its not so! Yes, and that was one of my goals. Also, my daily journal did not make it past the first night. Anyway, left Waco on Wednesday heading to Las Vegas, NM. Arrived late, found hotel and then the next morning looked up Las Vegas RV & Storage. Left my truck and trailer with them. Getting ready to go, Bob was really excited and wanted a selfie with both of us in it. My grandson thought it really great Bob was making this trip with me.

0%20-%20Bob%20Waving%20Bye_zpsfwxiyhsv.jpg

On the way out of Las Vegas, NM, this car museum with a couple of unique cars outside caught our attention.

1%20Mater_zps12rq1d0g.jpg

3%20Edsel_zpsxoorhp1m.jpg

3h_zpsbgg37a1m.jpg

3%20g_zpszup1c0bq.jpg

3%20F_zpsfozj6j91.jpg

First day on the bikes:
Left Las Vegas, NM to Mora, 434 from there to Angle Fire then Red River. Great little road. Some parts were just barely wide enough for two cars, no striping, trees almost against the pavement and the creek just feet from the right side of the road – and did I mention the curves? If I remember correctly, the best part was between Mora and Angel Fire. Our first night we camped just to the west of R.R. in a little NF campground called June Bug next the creek. Nice.

BTW, the Magellan pillow worked great! My lovely wife made a pillowcase with little elk on it including some nice brown trim. I really enjoyed it! If you camp, you need one of these. (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1367586&postcount=815)

Campsite at JuneBug in Red River
Watching my handiwork.

5%20RR_zpsqttcva47.jpg

My 4yr old Kelty 2 man tent and an 4 day old $25 Kmart tent. Both performed equally well on this trip.

6%20RR_zpsqdv7dt5z.jpg

Steve’s “let there be fire” pose.
7%20RR_zpsyl1dgugi.jpg

2nd day. Left Red River and went to Taos, then backtracked taking 64 across the Rio Grande Gorge.

7%20rrr_zpsyl3ibbxz.jpg

Kept heading north. When it started raining, we stopped in Chama. If you ever want a GREAT place to eat in Chama, visit the High Country Saloon and Café. There were only two exceptional places I ate at during this trip and this was one of them. Everything was good. As much as I enjoy Food pictures, I completely forgot to take them until after I destroyed the plate. This was the only exception and it was just an appetizer. One sweet tea. One Long Island Ice Tea.

7%20s_zpswm6ktu1f.jpg

Oh, did I mention from the start Steve’s Harley had no back brakes? None, nadda, zilch. I am 99% certain the master cylinder was bad so did not attempt to repair. Had this same issue about 5 years ago on last trip in which this bike participated. That time I pulled exhaust in a hotel parking lot in Buena Vista, added fluid, bleed the unit, and it lasted the trip. He never looked into it after that, but never really rode it either. Anyway, did not see any reason to attempt it again so he just rode the bike with front brake only.

Somewhere along the way (2nd or 3rd day), noticed a sign pointing to a waterfall and decided to stretch our legs.

8%20-%20hike%20to%20Waterfall_zpsee5zb0ed.jpg

9-waterfall_zpsze7ruzpw.jpg

9waterfall_zpssmkfiyhi.jpg

Will post more of the trip tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Took a break along the road and Bob was all too willing to tell us where we took the wrong turn. Will he never learn there are no wrong turns on a trip like this?

10%20break_zpsgpecojws.jpg

11-helping%20with%20directions_zpsldgpelee.jpg

3rd day. We left Chama for Pagosa Springs and South Fork only to run into rain about 10 mile outside of Southfork. This is where I discovered Steve forgot his rain gear. At this point Steve’s bike had stopped running again. It had done this several times already, and now going up this mountain, the motor turning off with no warning was getting a little dangerous . Funning thing is, it always started again after a 30 seconds or so. It had to be a gas delivery problem. We turned around and headed to Durango so that he might stay a little dryer.

12_zpssd7vhh39.jpg

13_zpsthug4ck2.jpg

14_zpsopse3hpk.jpg

Then the bad news…. It was Bob. All we see left of him are his footprints. It was a solemn moment. We keep asking ourselves, “Did he jump?” “Did he find and revert back to only serving villains?” And, he was doing so well in the rehabilitation program. Guess we will never know.

15%20-%20Bob%20Jumps_zpswy5uyxlh.jpg

Steve takes a moment silence to cope with the loss.

16%20-%20Steve%20needs%20a%20time%20to%20cope_zpspoxarebo.jpg

Day 4. I got up about 7:30 and left Steve sleeping at the hotel room. Visited a Coffee shop downtown and meet the most interesting fellow from Chama – Bill Wiley I believe. He was on a bike ride and just coming back from Ouray. Nice morning. I finally made it back to the room and Steve was just finishing packing. It was almost 10AM and I was past ready to go – we left for Silverton with plans to see Ouray.

Well, about halfway up the mountain it started raining again and hailing with temps dropping into the low 50’s. Not bad. I remembered Steve had no rain gear and stopped to see what he wanted to do. At this time he was not concerned about getting wet because his hands were freezing. By mistake he brought two LEFT gloves. I loaned him mine and turned my heated grips to high. Temps dropped to 47%, but all was good. I really enjoyed the ride.

On the way to Silverton, we ran across this hot spring. Been to Silverton 3 or 4 times and never notice this – never. Don’t know how I missed it as it is almost on the road. Sort of reminds me of Mammoth Springs in Yellowstone but on a much smaller scale.

18_zpsilfci7id.jpg

Will post up more later tonight.

Last edited:
I seem to recall seeing that hot spring on 550 not too far North of Durango before you start getting on up in to the real twisty stuff. If you were heading North, it would have been on the right side of the road. I've never stopped to check it out though.

That's a shame about Bob. He looked like he was having so much fun too! :zen:

Bob decided the Colorado scenery was better than hot dry Texas. Great roads keep going ! Lake city is a fine place to knock around...

We walked around Silverton, looked at some shops and ate. Nothing extraordinary. Customary train pic.

19_zpsnxxbqwko.jpg

Getting on the bikes I notice oil on Steve’s horn housing. What is it now? Fork oil, busted seal and yes, it was leaking down onto the front caliper. Lucky the wind keep it off the pads and disc. I guess the Harley was “Barn Spoiled” and just throwing a fit to go home. Oh well. We kept riding.

With the rain getting much heavier, and lightening more frequent the further north you went. We turned around and headed back south. Ouray would have been interesting! Proceeded down 550 and ended up in Bloomfield that night. Meet two fellows on 2015 1200GS’s at the hotel. Steve and I went across the street to be BBQ, they came in behind us. Good supper together, great company and great stories. Discovered one buddy sold his 2007 GS to get his 2015. The other rode his friends 2015 for awhile and HAD to sell his 2012 for one. Said there was that much improvement. Fun night. They had so many BBQ ribs left over they gave most to the front desk clerk at the hotel. Next morning, saw those to fellows at the continental breakfast: Coffee, waffles, and – RIBS.

Day 5. Left Bloomfield on 550, to San Ysidro, then took 4 to 502, then 84 to Santa Fe. Not a good ride. Do not waste your time. I knew there was nothing there and really do not know why I went that way, but any road you choose would be better.

20_zpsfepi3ily.jpg

If you look, this formation has a stream coming out of it the right side. Very impressive. Was on the Indian reservation we were driving through. Just before this I stopped at a roadside stand and bought some fried Indian bread for either supper or to eat with breakfast.

d6b1e820-c3d3-47a3-b24b-7b66dc8a081b_zpsqribuhsw.jpg

Made it to Santa Fe and while visiting the old plaza, observed this fellow playing an accordion. He was great and this little girl could not resist. When her and her little sister started dancing to the music, the crowd gathered he started raking in the money. The girls were very energetic dancers and a real hoot to watch.

22_zpsy10ffysg.jpg

23_zpsq7rpsttr.jpg

Seven miles NE of Santa Fe, just before getting to the Hyde State park, we camped in a NF campground. The NF campgrounds were much better IMO. Now for the second place I really enjoyed eating at and would highly recommend is THE SHED located just off the old pavilion, just off Washington street. Not certain of the street street name, but within one block of the Governor’s Palace in the old pavilion. Mexican food was some of the best I ever had and the price very reasonable.

25_zpsotrrys6x.jpg

Breakfast consisted of Dehydrated Scrambled Eggs & Bacon and Fried Indian bread warmed over the fire.

26_zpssz27t2zx.jpg

28_zpsr1p2zy7o.jpg

Had problems with the Sterno not boiling water quick enough. 30 minutes? Altitude issues I guess. I tried making a fire in the sterno stove. Not much better luck better as it just did not burn hot enough IMO. Might need a better stove? Have a single burner Coleman that takes white gas and probably should have taken. Don't think it is too much larger than Jet Boil, but who knows. Suggestions? Comments?

27_zpsadeh1ycg.jpg

While gathering small sticks, noticed someone took a lot of time to build this little village – Havensville?

29_zpsdag0ko12.jpg

You have to look closely because the pics don’t allow you the ability to see the details as easily as in person. But, if you do so, you will see a creek bed, pond, rock garden with moss, small tree, grave, log with moss, straw tent,

30_zpsdrcl5twr.jpg

More of the village shows log lean to, log porch for lean to, outside living are for lean to, more dry creek bed, flowers,

31_zpsfo34ibe6.jpg

More pic shows some sort of rock garden, wood pile, and a bush of some sort. There was a miniature “stone henge” but I lost that pic. Oh well.

32_zpsjnifmp7l.jpg

Wish the camera was better at showing this little village as it really was impressive - more so than it presentation here.

Hopefully Steve has some pics to be posted. I will be checking with him also.

Last edited:
OK, been researching Camping Stoves since the Sterno route proved lacking on this trip in every way. You could not stick around long enough for it to bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Altitude killed its performance.

I only tried it because my wife already had the cans of sterno, the little metal stove unit was only $7, and it boiled water in 20 min in my house. Slow, but worked and I thought it might pack "smaller" than my ancient Coleman single burner. Did not think about what altitude might do it, and I should have known. Just wasn't thinking.

Apparently, about as much heat as you can get out of canister stoves is 4000-5000 BTU's. The old Coleman single burner stove produces 10,500 BTU's. Nuff said if you are looking for HEAT.

Coleman%20502_zpsa7mu8epd.jpg

Still, it is slightly larger than the canister stoves, but not by much considering the canisters are not that small and it appears many people carry an extra canister.

Think I will be taking my Coleman from now on.

Asked Steve for a few extraordinary pics that I might post for him, and this is it? :doh:

Hopefully he sends some better ones - and fast!

11923234_10204485344681260_2480281756736288491_n.jpg

Back