• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New rider in Austin

Reaction score
I bought my first bike last December, a '09 KLX250SF. I am in my mid thirties and took the MSF course about 5 years ago but hadn't ridden since the course. I finally was able to get a bike when I cashed in my vacation time after switching jobs. The bike had 400 miles on it and I am currently at 700. I try to ride it to work as much as possible but my commute is only 1.5 miles each way. I have been on two 30 mile rides, one around lake Brownwood and one out in Spicewood. I finally got it up to 70mph on Hwy 71 in Spicewood and it was a white knuckle experience. The front end started to shake and the wind off the lake was pretty bad. For me this bike is a perfect city bike and back road bike on roads less than 60mph. I am sure I will be more comfortable on the highway with more riding experience. I enjoy this site and find myself spending too much time looking at other bikes on craigslist. Here are a few pictures from two different rides in Spicewood. My parents live on the Pedernales and I drop my kids off with them and then go riding.

Attachments

• IMG_20120219_155231.jpg
    IMG_20120219_155231.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20120324_151350.jpg
    IMG_20120324_151350.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to the site! :wave:

If the front end is shaking, try shifting your weight to the rear of the seat. IF that helps, then it tells you that you may need more preload in the front suspension and/or less in the rear. Basically, if the bike is in a nose down attitude, the front end can get wobbly/shaky. If the suspension is properly setup, the bike should not get shaky. Setting the preload on suspension is not too hard, but having someone there to help you makes it much easier. My KLR 650 had a NASTY head shake around 60-65mph until I got the suspension sorted out and also properly torqued the steering head nut.

Welcome. :welcome: Send me a PM sometime and maybe we can find you some backroads to play on. We live way south between Wimberly and Kyle. We like to play on the roads around Hamilton Pool and Spicewood and west of 281. The Wife does not like Highway either. :thumbd: Sam

Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of nice folks around here and plenty of rides to go on. I don't commute at all, in fact am at work sitting in my car in my driveway so guess mine is shorter! Anyway, I'm sure someone can help you sort out the shakiness. If you can we meet for lunch at Billy's on Burnet every Thursday at 11:00 and go to about noon or so. Great bunch. Well, except when Gravel Guy is there. Then it's a fantastic bunch.

There are a whole lot of good things to say about most 250s, but they usually stop at 70mph.

That is a nice small bike and a great choice for getting your feet wet in the cycle world. It can also be an extraordinarily urban hooligan bike, if you are into that sort of thing.

I have more pure fun on my 250, but more adrenaline rush on the 450.

There are some good trails in Bastrop if you are ever interested in gaining some experience in the dirt.

Oh, yeah. Welcome!

Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of nice folks around here and plenty of rides to go on. I don't commute at all, in fact am at work sitting in my car in my driveway so guess mine is shorter! Anyway, I'm sure someone can help you sort out the shakiness. If you can we meet for lunch at Billy's on Burnet every Thursday at 11:00 and go to about noon or so. Great bunch. Well, except when Gravel Guy is there. Then it's a fantastic bunch.

^^^ What he said... My commute is less than a mile and one stop sign. I can walk it faster than getting out the bike, but I gear up for it on Thursdays to meet up at Billy's and Ken's. Come on out.

Welcome to the site! I am in the Austin area as well (Georgetown)..

Nice bike!

I don't particularily enjoy 60+ on my DRZ, so I would imagine the KLX wouldnt be much better...

Welcome to the site. This is a downright friendly group and you can get some excellent technical help in the "General Bike Maintenance and Assistance" section. There are also several bike nights around town where other riders can have a look at your bike and make suggestions.

Back