• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to ADV riding from Austin

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Greetings from Austin. Rode street cruisers for 6 years, rented a BMW GS1200 in New Zealand in April, and found out what I was missing by not riding off road. Came back to the states and traded in my 2015 Harley Ultra for a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC.

I have a lot to learn regarding riding off road and this seems like a logical place to be.

Cheers :chug:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=84fea2d7e3ad6112954bf52582244c5b&oe=5BC5AA71

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=047bef365882e31ad7a12795cebbf787&oe=5C0DEC66

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra credit for posting pic on first post.

Looks like you got the right equipment :welcome: see you out there :thumb:

Welcome to the group. I'd recommend coming to the next TARA meet and greet to put some faces to names and get the lowdown on local rides, as well as plan on the the first Saturday group rides.

Extra credit for posting pic on first post.

Looks like you got the right equipment :welcome: see you out there :thumb:

Thank you! I've been riding with some dual sport riders for a couple years so I knew what gear to get. Plus I was one of the few HD riders who actually wore protective gear

Welcome to the group. I'd recommend coming to the next TARA meet and greet to put some faces to names and get the lowdown on local rides, as well as plan on the the first Saturday group rides.

Will do. My first Saturdays for AUG and SEP are booked but I can make the Austin meet and greet if it goes down.

Thank you for the welcome

Welcome.

The monthly breakfast ride around the Kerrville area would be a good place to meet some people. It's a bit far for me so I haven't been but it would seem a good choice if I lived in Austin.

There's a couple rides coming up in Arkansas that will be fun too. There's on the weekend of August 24th and then the TWT Eureka ride in October.

Hope to see you out someday...

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new bike.

I'm hesitant to bring it up, but its fresh on my mind. A long time Harley rider in our area recently made the switch from a big Harley to a BMW GSA 1200. He had a ton of street time, but not much time off pavement.

Two weeks into owning it, he had an accident in a corner on a gravel road and spent a few days in the hospital. I watched him go down in front of me and the helped the paramedics get him into the ambulance.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but just mean to say, please be careful when making the switch from pavement to off pavement. Especially, when you feel the urge to go faster on gravel roads. Things can happen fast on big bikes and loose terrain.

Also, I'm very much a newbie. Just started riding 3 months ago. I found going from my stock tires to more 50/50 tires (based on advice I received here) like the Continental TKC80's or Shinko 805's made a big difference in building my confidence off pavement. It gave me much better control of my big bike in those situations. Just throwing that out there.

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new bike.

I'm hesitant to bring it up, but its fresh on my mind. A long time Harley rider in our area recently made the switch from a big Harley to a BMW GSA 1200. He had a ton of street time, but not much time off pavement.

Two weeks into owning it, he had an accident in a corner on a gravel road and spent a few days in the hospital. I watched him go down in front of me and the helped the paramedics get him into the ambulance.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but just mean to say, please be careful when making the switch from pavement to off pavement. Especially, when you feel the urge to go faster on gravel roads. Things can happen fast on big bikes and loose terrain.

I appreciate the advice and the caution. Trust me, I will be slow and safe as I learn how to ride off road. I put in about 600 miles of dirt roads in New Zealand to include the Nevis Road on a GS 1200 with street tires. I am by no means an experienced off road rider. New Zealand taught me I have a ton to learn. I like "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" and have no issues being the slow poke on the trail.

I want to buy a GS1200 but only after I gain experience. That is why I bought the Tiger 800 XC.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d42cb13cca08c951ee1409f24a600a3a&oe=5BCDF87A

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3e4dbd4962b0326757d714ad337ff7e7&oe=5BC65649

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm very much a newbie. Just started riding 3 months ago. I found going from my stock tires to more 50/50 tires (based on advice I received here) like the Continental TKC80's or Shinko 805's made a big difference in building my confidence off pavement. It gave me much better control of my big bike in those situations. Just throwing that out there.

yeah, I definitely need something better than slicks. The guy who rode with me had to take over and get my bike out of the mud 2 times after I got stuck. I ate a piece of humble pie when he had to take over.

Again, thanks for that advice!

Welcome.

The monthly breakfast ride around the Kerrville area would be a good place to meet some people. It's a bit far for me so I haven't been but it would seem a good choice if I lived in Austin.

There's a couple rides coming up in Arkansas that will be fun too. There's on the weekend of August 24th and then the TWT Eureka ride in October.

Hope to see you out someday...

Thank you for the tips. I can't make AUG 24 since I will be up in New Mexico and Colorado on my first big trip with the tiger. Hopefully work will allow me to hit some of these rides.

Message me if you ever ride down here in the Hill Country. I am always looking for an excuse to ride

The adv jacket and other gear at higher speeds may not help too much as in the case Jarrett described, but in the case of some slower speed "offs" I experienced ( 15 to 20 mph) I was glad I had it. Gourdhead may remember some of my "mishaps" at the bend :doh:.. it happens, then you pick it up and motor on.

Awesome pics!

Last edited:
Once you get your tire situation squared away, you should plan on coming out to Bastrop with us. Lots of options for terrain to practice on, no pressure to keep up, and plenty of guys to help pickup your bike.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Once you get your tire situation squared away, you should plan on coming out to Bastrop with us. Lots of options for terrain to practice on, no pressure to keep up, and plenty of guys to help pickup your bike.

Thank you for that outstanding offer...and you will be hearing from me soon.

Welcome to the site and the adventure world. What part of Austin are you in, we are by Zilker. We keep toying with the idea of setting up a slow speed practice track at our place in Dripping or Johnson City, but never seem to find the time and now its too freaking hot. Maybe when it starts to cool down.

You will love your upcoming ride, nothing like NM, CO!

Welcome to the site and the adventure world. What part of Austin are you in, we are by Zilker. We keep toying with the idea of setting up a slow speed practice track at our place in Dripping or Johnson City, but never seem to find the time and now its too freaking hot. Maybe when it starts to cool down.

You will love your upcoming ride, nothing like NM, CO!

I live out by Mansfied Dam right off 620. If you need help with setting up that slow speed track just let me know...and I concur with the heat.

Can't wait to get out on that trip in 30 days

Cool bike! Saw your post on ADV rider, thanks for the welcome. Where have you been riding?

Cool bike! Saw your post on ADV rider, thanks for the welcome. Where have you been riding?

Glad to connect with you. I have been riding out to Click, TX near Llano. CO Road 308, 308B and are 315 are decent dirt roads for the Austin area. There are some more west of Llano that I would like to go find.

Gourdhead has offered to have me tag along on their rides out in Bastrop and help me pick up my bike when I fall over once I get proper tires.

If you ever want to ride just let me know.

Back