• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to dual sport, Live in Houston, TX - planning trip to Spain, advice please!

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to the group, I have ridden bikes before (Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke and random road bikes on vacation) 10+ years ago and I'm about to jump back into riding.
My old man and I are planning a trip to Southern Spain when this COVID nightmare fades. I want to get some riding in before the trip in about 6-8 months from now.
He lives in the UK, where I'm originally from, and he has a couple of bikes so that trip is covered.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with:

1) Bike recommendations, based on the following: Dual sport, more dirt than road, 250 is fine, maybe 300 but I don't need a 450 monster...., reliable and easy maintenance... I'm leaning Yamaha WR250, maybe a crf250L but love to hear your thoughts. I don't want brand new, but a couple of years old is good 2016-2018...

2) Where can I ride trails "near" Houston, Texas??? I will drive out for the weekend in the truck! I have checked out Sam Houston Forrest near Conroe, anything in the hill country or anywhere else?

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome Tom, Hidden Falls Adventure Park just east of Marble Falls is a great place to ride. I think they are closed for the virus right now but probably will be open soon.

Another good one is Central Texas Off Road Park just west of Salado, TX. Looks like they are also closed to guests and new members right now.

As to your question on the bikes, I would choose the WR250R and I am a Honda guy. The WR is 40 pounds heavier than it should be, but my XR650R is 20 pounds lighter than the CRF250L.

Why not mirror the bike of your Dad you will be using and the type of riding in Spain you will be doing? Since you haven't rode in 10+ years that would be the best practice to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.

Why not mirror the bike of your Dad you will be using and the type of riding in Spain you will be doing? Since you haven't rode in 10+ years that would be the best practice to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.

My dad has a crf250 which I will be riding in Spain, I’ve taken it out a few times in the uk and liked it. Since I’m new to this, I think it will make a good beginner bike. I was looking at prices and I found new (well, 2019 with 0 miles) for $4,500... now I can’t seem to get cheaper than that for a 2 or 3 year old crf250l....Am I missing something here or is that a pretty good price for a new bike?

thanks for your help

cheers!

Back