• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to South Houston

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I've joined the facebook group a while ago when I moved to Houston for work. Did a short trip to the Sam Houston National Forest but only got to ride a segment of a trail as we were two up plus sidecases on a F800GS, So after fighting some sand on the trail I was already worried. Humidity and heat was killing me as well, plus not ideal jacket/gloves for a trail.
Posted a picture on the facebook group and asked the people where else to ride offroad around Houston, got great suggestions and comments and got a few direct messages. One of those was from bakermaker that invited me to one of the Clear Lake Wednesdays bike night where I met very nice and welcoming people.

Hope to meet the group again for dinner or even better, for a ride.

Alberto.

Attachments

• 20200723_185914.jpg
    20200723_185914.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Sam_HOU_Trail.jpg
    Sam_HOU_Trail.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 196
In another 2 months or so, SNHF will be a good ride; just too hot right now. Being south of Houston means you get to ride through town to get there which really makes it a trip. Hoping the storms coming through next week don’t screw it up. Welcome!

Welcome to the site. You may have already figured out that the BMW is a large bike for the trails, especially riding two up. Several folks do ride bigger bikes on the forest trails but I know of none who ride them two up. Most the rides you find in the Forest are 250-500 range dirt bikes. You may want to try some of the dirt road loops around Houston. The West Houston Loop, the Cheeseburger Loop, the Catfish Loop or even the East Tex 500. There is an expert @Rydah in the Clear Lake Group who can give you some advice on the East Texas 500 and even a Silsby ET 200 loop. And yes, as Jay says, it is very hot.

In another 2 months or so, SNHF will be a good ride; just too hot right now. Being south of Houston means you get to ride through town to get there which really makes it a trip. Hoping the storms coming through next week don’t screw it up. Welcome!
Absolutely right, it is a small trip just to get to the SHNF. Thanks

Welcome to the site. You may have already figured out that the BMW is a large bike for the trails, especially riding two up. Several folks do ride bigger bikes on the forest trails but I know of none who ride them two up. Most the rides you find in the Forest are 250-500 range dirt bikes. You may want to try some of the dirt road loops around Houston. The West Houston Loop, the Cheeseburger Loop, the Catfish Loop or even the East Tex 500. There is an expert @Rydah in the Clear Lake Group who can give you some advice on the East Texas 500 and even a Silsby ET 200 loop. And yes, as Jay says, it is very hot.
Thanks for the dirt road loop suggestions, didn't know we had those around. I haven't been able to meet with the Clear Lake group again but will look for Rydah's advice when possible.

@Rydah (Rob) is going to be out for a while getting both knees replaced. I've got the .gpx routes we rode a while back for the EastTX 200. The Garmins he and I run don't like excessive waypoints so the total route is broken up in sections. Let me know if your interested and I'll send them to you.

@Rydah (Rob) is going to be out for a while getting both knees replaced. I've got the .gpx routes we rode a while back for the EastTX 200. The Garmins he and I run don't like excessive waypoints so the total route is broken up in sections. Let me know if your interested and I'll send them to you.
Oh, Hope he gets the knees recovered soon to be able to be riding again.
Yes I'm interested in the routes, however, I have not got a GPS yet, will those run on an smartphone app?

I'll send you my e-mail in a DM.
Thank you very much.

Oh, Hope he gets the knees recovered soon to be able to be riding again.
Yes I'm interested in the routes, however, I have not got a GPS yet, will those run on an smartphone app?

I'll send you my e-mail in a DM.
Thank you very much.
Sent you the file. It's one file, but is broken into segments in the file. Not sure if it will work with an app, never have tried it. I don't know why it wouldn't, but may require some tweaking depending on the app.

Welcome to the site, glad to see you found us on here too.

Hopefully the heat will break soon. We should start riding more on the weekends once it cools down some.

Sent you the file. It's one file, but is broken into segments in the file. Not sure if it will work with an app, never have tried it. I don't know why it wouldn't, but may require some tweaking depending on the app.
Got the email. Thank you again.

Welcome to the site, glad to see you found us on here too.

Hopefully the heat will break soon. We should start riding more on the weekends once it cools down some.
Looking forward to riding with the group. I have most of the Wednesdays busy after work for a while, so I haven't been able to meet the group on the bike nights again.
Regards.
Alberto.

Back