• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to Texas from the (gasp!!!)..........West Coast

I am really starting to miss the variety of food in So Cal (Cuban, Peruvian, Sushi, Brazilian, Korean, Armenian/Mediterranean, Indian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Ethiopian, Jamaican, Thai, all forms of organic and fresh, etc)
Any recommendations? Just head to Austin?
Almost no city in the US can match Houston for food prices, quality or variety!!! Glad you escaped Kalifornia. I hope the Kalifornia ideas stayed there.

But keep in mind that property taxes in Texas are so screwed that the state was just named the 10th worst to retire to, in the latest Kiplinger magazine.
And yet......... people keep moving here in droves to retire! Hmmmmm, maybe that magazine is full of crAP!

Almost no city in the US can match Houston for food prices, quality or variety!!! Glad you escaped Kalifornia. I hope the Kalifornia ideas stayed there.
Thanks for the recommendation. We’ll have to check out Houston:eat:

I moved to Texas for a very specific reason. It has nothing to do with politics/sports, the economy, etc. And I have no desire to get into any of that on this forum.

As y’all know, motorcycling is therapeutic. I’m just here on the forum to enjoy and be a part of the camaraderie and fun that motorcycle communities are known for.
:rider:

Seems like a lot of debate that doesn't have much to do with welcoming the new guy. But it does give insight into how a motorcycle rider forum can quickly go down a rabbit hole. We're all on a hair trigger about a lot of things these days I guess ! :duck:

I helped the new guy out on another thread, with a link to a buddy that is selling his Royal Enfield.

And yet......... people keep moving here in droves to retire! Hmmmmm, maybe that magazine is full of crAP!

Well, if Texas is 10th worse, there are 9 states that are even worst. And Kiplinger's is pretty well respected, but YMMV.

Seems like a lot of debate that doesn't have much to do with welcoming the new guy. But it does give insight into how a motorcycle rider forum can quickly go down a rabbit hole. We're all on a hair trigger about a lot of things these days I guess ! :duck:
I am feeling very welcomed 🙂

I always try to stay clear of hot button topics. These are difficult times and the world is hard enough as it is. It's just nice to focus on what we have in common and keep an open mind as opposed to debating about our differences. I tend to be an anomaly wherever I go so it wouldn't do me any good to do otherwise:zen:

Besides, :sun: out so I'm gonna go gear up for a test ride on Big A's Himalayan :pirate:

Cheers y'all :thumb:

Hey, I rode to Junction today, just because it was a gorgeous day!! Scouted the city and county parks for potential camp sites, and never once did I think about taxes!

Same here! Went to the Regency Bridge yesterday, to spread some ashes of a riding buddy that has passed on. Beautiful day, followed by lunch at Pecan Grill in San Saba, and interesting conversation with my fellow riders on things happening in the world today. 'magine that!

182ACEFA-F910-4960-80B8-BF7E40B001C4.jpeg

I am really starting to miss the variety of food in So Cal (Cuban, Peruvian, Sushi, Brazilian, Korean, Armenian/Mediterranean, Indian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Ethiopian, Jamaican, Thai, all forms of organic and fresh, etc)
Any recommendations? Just head to Austin?
As an Austinite, the ‘variety‘ of foods here is so-so, Ok, mensa mense (my favorite is Mexican and Indian foods) but for real variety I’d highly recommend going to any one of the many big cities of Mexico.

Nice pic there JMD!! I haven't been to the Regency Bridge, and it looks like a cool destination. I've lost 6 close friends in the past 7 months, so I get that ride!

I'm designing a rack for the Tag a Long trailer that will enable me to haul the Kayak along for camping/fishing trips. Doubt I will bring the trailer for the Kerrville ride in April, just the bike, but I will make a trip back to Junction soon for a 2 night stay.

How did it go?
Big A's Himalayan is exactly what I'd been searching for. In good condition and well maintained. At 3100 miles it's the right amount of mileage to know that if there were gonna be any warranty issues, they would have happened and been resolved already. The price was right and he's less than 10 minutes from my place.
I'll go back and pick it up later this week :rider:
Oh, and it was great to meet Big A :thumb:

Big A's Himalayan is exactly what I'd been searching for. In good condition and well maintained. At 3100 miles it's the right amount of mileage to know that if there were gonna be any warranty issues, they would have happened and been resolved already. The price was right and he's less than 10 minutes from my place.
What more could you ask for - move to Texas and get a good bike

Nice pic there JMD!! I haven't been to the Regency Bridge, and it looks like a cool destination. I've lost 6 close friends in the past 7 months, so I get that ride!

It was the first time I had been there, and a lot more sturdy than I thought it would be, based on what friends who had been there before told me. That's 9 bikes parked on it, and there were also a car and a van that drove across while we were parked.

My friend and his wife wanted any of his riding buddies, (that were interested), to take a portion of his ashes and spread them when out riding. There were only two of us that said we would, so part of them were spread from the Regency Bridge, and the other part will ride with me throughout the summer, then be spread at the Grand Canyon in September. Kind of a cool idea.

He's a great guy and used to be co-owner of M&B Auto Repair there in Belton. The "M" part of that is kind of a sketchy guy... :haha::-P

KIDDING! Rick M....

Back in the old days, He had the prettiest VTX you ever saw so I'm sure the RE will be fine. Glad I could give you the heads up and JDM could get you connected.

Back in the old days, He had the prettiest VTX you ever saw so I'm sure the RE will be fine. Glad I could give you the heads up and JDM could get you connected.

Kenny (VTreX) might disagree with that, but we're all friends in CenTex, and he's a good buddy of Big A. I miss those days of the VTX groups in Texas, they were a lot of fun!

If you have some time on your hands, I'm planning a four week trip to the eastern part of Canada on my RE Himalayan :shock: ... I have two other Himalayan owners who I'll pick up on the way. The plan is do parts of the TCAT: https://adventuremotorcycletravel.com/listing/trans-canada-adventure-trail-tcat/ . I'm still working out the details, but the dates are set since I had to put in my vacation dates at work. 1 June - 1 July. I may stay in Canada longer since one of the projects I'm working on involves a vendor from Montréal and I may spend an extra week there doing some face-to-face meetings. You are welcome to come if you have the time. Hit me up privately and we can meet up and have some more talks about things.

-Wayne

Back