• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Ulm Pie Run RR

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Well, I'll be first to do a report. I bundled up some this morning and headed out to get gas. Yep, it's cool. So after gas I hit the local Jack in the Box and fill my tank. At that point I put in the ear plugs, glove liners, and fire up the heated grips. It's time to get serious. I realize that I'm running a little later than planned and that I'm not going to meet up with the Austin crew in Manor, so I decide to follow the route I had originally planned.

Punched that into the gps and off I go...for about two miles when I hit some open road and the wind gust almost puts me in the next lane. Well, this is going to be fun. Few more miles and I realize that my neck is cold so I figure I'll need to stop and put on my balaclava. More wind gusts hit me before that and I'm not even to I-35. Okay, the heck with this, I'll just stop at Round Rock donuts and take home a surprise to the family. But then I get stuck at a red light and the heated grips are doing their jobs so I decided to follow the route and keep going...until I turn north and the wind catches me again. I'm done. Right turn, take a picture at an old Texaco station near the donut place, and then head to get donuts. Huge line at the drive through and inside. Well heck, I'm a total failure today.

So, a 9 mile ride where all I managed to achieve was a tank of gas and a fast food burrito. And the first ride report for the Pie Run. :duck:

Hope the rest of you got further than I did.

Well, I am checking in while at work, wondering who will brave the weather this month. Last month it was similar but after riding to ice cream last night, I think this round is worse.

God Speed to all who brave it.

Well, now I'm bored. I mowed the lawn last night as the cold front arrived so I could go ride today. I may bleed the brakes on the TA, but that's a 30 minute job that I can stretch to an hour.

I bailed last month because of the wind, which is why I made the attempt today. It was cold out there, but the gusts really made it unfun.

I never left the house ,I live in the country with no wind break . When I walked outside I said to heck with this and went back inside . I am so sick and tired of this wind on the weekends I cant stand it . I also like to fish and it screws that up to .:eek2:
Rick M

Last edited:
Well, sign us up for the ICBA too. All dressed and on the road fighting the wind for a half an hour, turned back for a coffee at La Centera and a stroll through the Farmers Market. I think we will go to th Bayou City Arts Festival now and ride tomorrow.:giveup:

Houston crowd made it home safe and sound! No pix from me. Pretty big crowd at the Texas Star - very good food. We left at 8:30, took a back roads route and arrived at the cafe at 1110 hours. I bet there were 50 bikes there. We bugged out near 1 and took a more direct route home.

It was might chilly this morning, and the wind was something to consider - but not so bad as to ruin the ride. When we turned east on 1291 out of Fayetteville, the wind was at our backs, the temp was approaching 60, and the road was a blast!

From New Ulm home, the wind was mostly at our backs or from the right - never in our faces. Had a great time, I'm sure someone will post pix.

I met up with the Katy group around 8:30. I didn't realize KSU 9:00 sharp meant I had time to eat breakfast before I left the house. Our Fearless leader lead us on some back roads through Bellville, Industry, Fayetteville, Frelsburg and on to New Ulm. All along the route were people out riding their bicycles training for the MS150. I kept thinking I should be doing that, I only have two more weekends until the ride.

Then a cool blast of air would hit me like a Mack truck and I would thank my lucky stars I was riding on a motorcycle with a heated jacket liner.

It was great to see Scott, Beth, Debbie and family. Even though Scott doesn't remember seeing me since the first East Texas Bun Burner Ride. I informed him I attended a second one and I just remembered seeing him last year on a pie run south of town out past Bay City. Don't remember the name of the town though. Having kids will do that to your mind...

Anyway, the weather was beautiful and it was nice seeing everyone. Maybe next time I will remember a camera...

Re:

Good food/Pie Run . I found an abandoned bridge up north of there . Trying to upload the pics.

Pretty big crowd at the Texas Star - very good food. I bet there were 50 bikes there.
That's a relief. I was afraid that they might have prepared for a crowd and then no one would show up because of the weather. I'm sure it's a nice boost for these small places to have them on our list and I'd hate to see them suffer from a small turnout.

Another excellent TWT pie run with lots of friendly folks!

We left Austin with our motley crew of around eight riders. We experienced gusts up to 35 mph and an ambient temperature of around 40 degrees for several hours. The wind was OK as long as we took county roads but when we hit the main highways, it became an act of balance.

I did find that putting about 5-10 more psi than the recommended max tire pressure helped and cranking the preload up on the bike assisted the motorcycle in better tracking.

I can't wait for the next one.

Safe Trails,

RB

:tab What a bunch of wimps! :nana:

:tab Yeah... it was COLD. Sure... it was WINDY! As I am getting off the bike at the cafe, Sarah runs up and tells me how she almost froze to death in the minivan... kids...:roll: I got pics and will try to get them uploaded this evening after the kids are in bed. The ride was great, despite the wind. Although, I think I am gonna be a bit sore tomorrow. It has been a while since I last rode in a good wind and I was a little more tense than I should have been. There were some great pastures full of flowers around Chappell Hill. It sure is beautiful country out that way! When we first arrived, there were only three other bikes in the parking lot. I thought maybe we were at the wrong place :ponder: Soon after though, other riders started showing up and before long we had taken over one end of the restaurant. The food and service were great. The ride home was nice. Dave Smith, Pkiser, and myself ran up to Burton and then ran 390 back to William Penn. Not many Blue Bonnets on 390 compared to past years. I guess it's from the lack of rain this winter and spring. I got paged as we pulled into Navasota and had to pass on riding FM 3090 so I could get on home. Turns out it was a false alarm :doh: Just as well, after about 200 miles of riding in that wind I was ready to get off the bike and relax.

:tab It was great seeing everyone, and even meeting some new folks!

After today i'm thinking about enrolling my engine guard in ballet. Not only is she flexible, but she's very good at balancing my 850 in the air while going through corners.
n1529100094_178771_8006553.jpg

Cant say i give her a 10.0 in competition though, because she forgot to put me and my bike back on two wheels after her performance.
n1529100094_178770_4175577.jpg

Bike's not too bad in that pic. in fact it looks like it's only missing the tank emblem, which is good(and no dents in the tank either)! until ..

n1529100094_178772_280118.jpg

:ponder:

In case you're wondering if i'm okay. yeah. i'm fine. roadrash on the legs and the tummy. and a small sprain on the leg. my jacket lost some zipper teeth as well as any zipping capability. :zen:

edit: not to mention hat that fairing would have REALLY come in handy for the rest of the trip, but i'm glad it was smashed and not me.

We left home 7 ish heading for Montgomery. It was cold, but with the right gear, not too bad.

Here's the group who met in Navasota, waiting for the Huntsville group. I'm terrible with names, but I know there were 3 Mikes there.
Navasota.jpg

The ride from Navasota to New Ulm was nice. The food was good and the company was great.

A couple of shots of the parking lot:
AfterLunch.jpg

FullLot.jpg

We rode with Windsong and Windrunner toward home. We went through Brenham and stopped in Anderson at the Courthouse Antique shop.
My husband Mike and I in front of the Grimes County Courthouse:
US.jpg

After leaving Anderson, Mike and I rode through Richards and New Waverly to Coldsprings. We stopped at Double Lake Recreation Area before heading home.
DoubleLake.jpg

Dogwood.jpg

After today i'm thinking about enrolling my engine guard in ballet. Not only is she flexible, but she's very good at balancing my 850 in the air while going through corners.
Cant say i give her a 10.0 in competition though, because she forgot to put me and my bike back on two wheels after her performance.
In case you're wondering if i'm okay. yeah. i'm fine. roadrash on the legs and the tummy. and a small sprain on the leg. my jacket lost some zipper teeth as well as any zipping capability. :zen:

YIKES! Glad you're ok!

Hey bob - sorry I missed the turn on the way home. Didn't know if you wanted to drag that fairing home or pick parts off it.

All hail Yamaha triples!

it's okay stuart... i've gotta think about whether i really should go out there and get it. as a courtesy thing.. but there was that dumpster there...

decisions decisions.

yes - it was cool this morning when I left the house in Friendswood and WINDY but the FJR was running very well in the cool air.

Arrived at the cafe right at 1100 hours along with the group from north side of Houston.

The Peach Pie was good and the ride home with Craig and a tailwind was even better.

BRING ON PIE RUN IV!!

yes - it was cool this morning when I left the house in Friendswood and WINDY but the FJR was running very well in the cool air.

Arrived at the cafe right at 1100 hours along with the group from north side of Houston. I counted forty five bikes in the parking lot.

The Peach Pie was good and the ride home with Craig and a tailwind was even better.

BRING ON PIE RUN IV!!

Long day but had a great time.

Trip total.............
IMG_0396.jpg

Left a little after 5:00a this morning. Cold but I have excellent gear.
Literally blasted down I-35 to get to the 290 Cafe in Manor to catch a group of pie eaters. It was dark most of the way and I had the "polar covers" on my Tourmaster Elite gloves. The equivalent of two fingers and a thumb per hand. Not good for taking pictures. :mrgreen:

First bike I saw in Manor was Wayne's Uly. He is preparing it to ride the TAT :thumb:
IMG_0313.jpg

Fred (our ride leader) has a really nice windscreen on his FZ6
IMG_0312.jpg

I always forget the camera but finally found a lanyard to hang it around my neck.

Some shots of the group while riding........
IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Some roadside decoration.........
IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

Random shots of the Texas Star Cafe crowd..........
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

The Family Friday!!
IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Peach a la mode......... :eat:
IMG_0385.jpg

Let's go ride some more................................:sun:

Last edited:
Great pix, Don - thanks for posting!:thumb:

It's the least I can do.

The problem is that I don't often get that far from home and only know a few of the people in that crowd.

One day though............. there will be more............. :rofl:

Don,

Years ago I lived in Corinth and worked north of Denton - in the now old Texas Instruments plant. Was on a 1979 Yamaha XS750 triple and loved it. Had to sell it when mom and the neighbor had me drop off one of our kids and two of hers as the school was my way to work. Had no time to ride, so I bought a small sailboat and went sailing on Lake Lewisville after work during the summer months.

Don,
Based on your GPS screen it looks like it only took you about an hour to get there from Denton.

It's fast alright but I think the GPS is checking phantom velocity......................

...........anyway. It seemed like longer.........

Last edited:
Back