• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Ulm Pie Run RR

So here are the pics:

Meeting in Navasota... brrrr....
IMG_5326.JPG

:tab Deb and I reached the meet point about 9:20am to find everyone waiting. There were a LOT more people than I was expecting :clap: Nice to know that there are other crazies out there to keep us company :trust:

:tab By default, I got appointed as ride leader for the remainder of the route. So off we went, heading out 105 towards Washington on the Brazos. There were a lot of bicyclists out and about! We cut down towards Chappell Hill on some back roads. The Blue Bonnets were out in force in select pastures and kind of faded, if present at all, in other pastures. It was cold but as we came through Chappell Hill it either warmed up a few degrees or I lost feeling in my hands... :brainsnap We crossed US 290 and kept heading South to Bellville on some more FM's. The pavement quality was not the best, but it was still fun. At Bellville we cut West and made the final run into New Ulm. Somewhere in there we fell in behind an FJR and followed him the rest of the way. It was a good thing because I had no idea where the cafe was and would likely have ridden right past it as there were only a few bikes out front when we got there.

Just after our arrival shortly before 11:00am
IMG_5327.JPG

Parked out front was about the most farkled out R1200GS Adventure you are likely to ever see :lol2:
IMG_5328.JPG

:tab He had video cameras mounted front and rear, feeding into an SD card. He had two GPS's hooked up at the same time, satellite radio, radar detector(s?), multiple sets of PIAA lights, and a bunch of other stuff. Best of all, it was very well done. There were even safety lanyards on most of the bits so they could not fall off! It would make even the most anal retentive obsessive compulsive type happy :-P I totally forgot the rider's name :doh:

Steve "Rockmantex" and the anal retentive OCD GS rider :-P
IMG_5329.JPG

Rachel was in a pretty good mood the whole time, lots of smiles for everyone!
IMG_5331.JPG

This tank looks like it has been around the war a few times... pretty cool! :thumb:
IMG_5332.JPG

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

This guy was in the yard across the street and letting us all know he was the top guy in town... very loudly!
IMG_5335.JPG

And this would be were my name recall skills... or more specifically, my severe lack of, starts to shine... :doh:
IMG_5336.JPG

ctoons and hubby, the fence builders ;-)
IMG_5337.JPG

Mike "mikecontex"
IMG_5338.JPG

Cheryl and Kevin Graulty, he's showing off Pirate abilities ;-)
IMG_5339.JPG

FJRMike? I can never remember because there are so many FJR"somethingorother" people on the site! :twitch:
IMG_5340.JPG

Tim "Abbey" and Greg "4734"
IMG_5341.JPG

Reid & Deanie... He is the tour dircetor for MTA (mtorcycle touring assoc.) Chapter 1
IMG_5342.JPG

EquipmentJunkie, uhh.... he's got a beemer for sale, and Carole Ann
IMG_5343.JPG

Chris "Dirtrideroader" and a pie lover...
IMG_5345.JPG

The loved pie :-P
IMG_5346.JPG

Stuart "SBrogden" on the left and Martin(?) on the right, and I don't think I even got everyone else's names at all. Where was Gilk51 and his nametags!? :doh:
IMG_5347.JPG

The other end of the table
IMG_5348.JPG

Don Davis on the left and no clue on the right... Don left Denton at 5:00am to make this run... He LIKES his pie! :lol2:
IMG_5349.JPG

Fred "RedBrown" and Jerry
IMG_5350.JPG

A sample of the local fare...
IMG_5352.JPG

Daniel on the left, Dave Smith on the right working up a case of indigestion! :eek2:
IMG_5353.JPG

More pie
IMG_5354.JPG

Our lovely waitresses
IMG_5355.JPG

Time to check out some more hardware
IMG_5351.JPG

A good looking Trophy 1200!
IMG_5356.JPG

The back of the farkled 1200GS, see the video camera?
IMG_5357.JPG

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee? :ponder:
IMG_5358.JPG

Sarah decides it is time to embark on a modeling career
IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

I think this is her favorite :trust: (although she was diggin that side car rig!)
IMG_5362.JPG

Gotta give Harley the credit, their paint jobs rock!
IMG_5363.JPG

Windrunner
IMG_5365.JPG

Dale
IMG_5366.JPG

Matt "STrider"
IMG_5367.JPG

I'm already having to beat the guys (Dave and Phil "Pkiser") off Rachel :doh: Where's a good stick when you need one...?
IMG_5368.JPG

The 1200GS guy
IMG_5369.JPG

ctoons and her hub standing next to his Versys
IMG_5370.JPG

I know I know this guy's name... really... I swear...but I have no idea what it is :headbang:
IMG_5371.JPG

:tab So everyone started heading off to the four corners of the Earth about 1:30pm. Dave, Phil and I decided to run up to Burton and then cut back East on Scenic Highway 390 over to William Penn road and finally to Hwy 105. The wind was blowing pretty good the whole way. The blue bonnets on 390 were kind of disappointed relative to years past. Perhaps the recent rains will make them better in the next week or two? We stopped at the little general store in Independence. They had some goats out back, a little baby and two mamas in desperate need of milking!

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

And this cool play house in the back yard
IMG_5374.JPG

:tab And then the battery in my camera died. It was fully charged before I left the house... I guess the battery is no longer taking much of a charge, which is slightly annoying because the special lithium ion batteres are so darned expensive! Maybe I should just get a new camera... :trust:

:tab We stopped in Navasota so Phil and Dave could top off their bikes. I got a page :roll: I had planned to split off from Dave and Phil so I could run 3090 before heading home. There are usually some nice Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrushes out that way. Alas, duty calls... So we head due East on Hwy 90 to Anderson. At Anderson I lost them. I think they went on over to FM 149 but I took FM 2819. It usually has less traffic and not as patrolled on such a pretty day ;-) I am pretty sure I got to Richards before they did and I never saw them again. I made it to Huntsville a few minutes after 4:00pm, apparently even beating Beth home. Turns out the page was a false alarm, just a guy with a question about a job Dad had done this morning. It's good to be home anyway. The wind was starting to get old.

:tab Despite the wind and cold, I still had a great time. I always enjoy being able to get out and see folks, even if I can't always remember all their names ;-)

Last edited:
Wow, you either scared me with that camera or I need to quit talking when my picture is being taken. No wonder I usually try to hide from cameras.

I had a great time and have now made 3 pie runs in a row. It would have been 5 if I had made the end of year run!

Thanks to RedBrown for leading the Austin group there and Wayne (they guy with the beamer for sale :drool:) for leading us home.

The bluebonnets were beautiful, I haven't seen them like that since I moved to Texes in 2002 but heard they were a sight to see. We had to stop at one point to let a flock of Ginneas (sp) cross the road.

We rode throught Buescher State Park coming home and I was actually too hot in my jacket. That was a nice change from the days ride.

I forgot my camera!

Last edited:
EquipmentJunkie, uhh.... he's got a beemer for sale, and Carole Ann
IMG_5343.JPG

Wow, you either scared me with that camera or I need to quit talking when my picture is being taken. No wonder I usually try to hide from cameras.

I had a great time and have now made 3 pie runs in a row. It would have been 5 if I had made the end of year run!

Thanks to RedBrown for leading the Austin group there and Wayne (they guy with the beamer for sale :drool:) for leading us home.

The bluebonnets were beautiful, I haven't seen them like that since I moved to Texes in 2002 but heard they were a sight to see. We had to stop at one point to let a flock of Ginneas (sp) cross the road.

We rode throught Buescher State Park coming home and I was actually too hot in my jacket. That was a nice change from the days ride.

I forgot my camera!

Fixed it for ya.................

Had a good time, but got there a little late. The wind blasts was like being hit by a line backer, at one point i was looking forward and the next i was looking out on the corner of the faceshield. we arrived about 1200 and most of the group was already paying and heading out, but got to say hi to a few people. my rider and i sat in a different corner of the restaurant, b/c we did not even see the little extra room in the back. coming down from houston we took I-10 to FM362 to FM529 through Burleigh and Bellville, then FM2429, FM949, and FM1094.

we had to pull over and take pictures of the bluebonnets on the side of the road.
imagew2.aspx

imagew2.aspx

imagew2.aspx

we got talked into a cherry pie :giveup:, well there was not much convincing, apparently the waitresses had a little contest at who could sell the most cherry pie. i do not know who won but the pie was really good. :clap:

as we were leaving, a mustang pulled up and was commenting about the motorcycles on the road. we let them we all just got done and i thought that we were the last ones to leave. told them the food was good and that they should try the cherry pie. they walked up to the door and to their sadness the cafe was closed:doh:

on the way back was much nicer, as if it was a different ride all together. the wind at our back, and the day warmed up made for a good ride. we stopped in the Stephen F. Austin State Park and tooled around the back roads a bit.

I can't add much to Don's ride report. I was impressed that somebody from Denton met up with us in Austin. I have to thank Fred for leading us to New Ulm.

Here is a nice panoramic of the parking lot.

3395058916_6aa2641611_b.jpg

Large one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82683679@N00/3395058916/sizes/o/in/set-72157615981024673/

We met up in at the 290 Cafe just outside of Austin in Manor.
3394255605_35e5578423.jpg

Along the way to New Ulm, we stopped a couple of times.

3395070014_06b9dd6912.jpg

Carole Ann looks a bit cold doesn't she? ;)

3395072312_11fcfe4224.jpg

3394264755_d83ddfba2d.jpg

We took the road less traveled.

3395083818_12356e0a1c.jpg

Our stop along the way for our fearless leader to take a bio break. ;)

3395092202_9a11509a5a_b.jpg

An unexpected stop outside of New Ulm to make sure everybody was alright. Apparently the 18-wheeler went into the turn a bit hot, and well, just like bikers, found himself in a world of hurt when he did that.

Had a great ride and wonderful company. I posted a few more photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82683679@N00/sets/72157615981024673/

Maybe next month we'll finally have a pie run where it's not cold in the morning when we ride out.

Wayne

I'm not usually a fan of Hondas or black bikes, but this bike is HOT!
IMG_5358.JPG

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Criminy Scott! Scrambled eyes for lunch. I think once in awhile my eyes are sympatico.

Thankyou for organizing this group and all the affairs you do. (But Gad! please edit my pictures!!) I have had so much fun meeting just the nicest people, and the couple of events Dale and I have done. I'm glad Tom decided to make the pie run the meeting place to exchange the suitcase I had bought from him--Dale had not wanted to come in the bad weather, but I told him I HAD to go, with or without him, so he came, never one to be left behind. I believe he is even happy he did. After attaching the suitcase, my schoolbag was not reattached properly, so I left the parking lot like a doofus dragging my book bag behind the motorcycle for a bit. I was told I looked like a gypsy.

In spite of the winds and the cold... the entire trip and event were wonderful. I saw flocks of geese, bluebonnets and paintbrush galore, giant Angus bulls (puts my Charolais guy to shame) spectacular pastures (I am always assessing other peoples pasture land), the Brazos-(we went over 2 different crossings) and parts of Texas I had never explored. In heading down to Ulm, we took a lot of little roads that miraculously ended up in Ulm, coming back, Dale took what he thought would be an interesting route, which unfortunately got us into some heavy traffic. CeCi and Mike were very patient (I hope) because Dale is prone to rapid detours and changes of mind, not allowing those following much warning. We all went to an antique shop in Anderson, the men were the ones most interested in the wares...a reversal. I think CeCi is pretty fortunate to have Mike. He bought her a neat purple flowered helmet, and she bought a purple v-strom to match.

Again- thanks Scott for the TWTs. Mike and Tim for always being nice, CeCi and Mike for patience. This type of trip/event is why I got this motorcycle...to see Texas before it is gone.

Zandra

Plus--I finally met Carol Ann!

Zandra,
We thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and will ride with you guys anytime!

btw- my bike is a V-star not a v-strom!

ConfederateMemorial-1.jpg

Thankyou for organizing this group and all the affairs you do. I have had so much fun meeting just the nicest people, and the couple of events Dale and I have done.

Again- thanks Scott for the TWTs. Mike and Tim for always being nice, CeCi and Mike for patience. This type of trip/event is why I got this motorcycle...to see Texas before it is gone.

I think that calls for a group hug!
grouphug.gif

Well, I didn't have too far to go from north west of Hempstead it was a 40 mile or so trip through Hempstead , south on 159 through Cat Spring to New Ulm. It was a nippy 44 when I left and I had to change gloves when I got to Bellville. For me there was no traffic most of the way going to New Ulm, except Bellville of course, and traffic going home passed me going mid 70's to eighties. With the aerodynamic fairing on the Busa it would get slightly "pushy" if I kept it in the 70's, so I just cruised around 65 most of the way home.

Scott... the "pie lover" is me
IMG_5345.JPG

Thanks for the "good timing" there on the picture... :eat::haha:
I had fun, it's good to put faces to names.
Thanks to all, and especially the waitress's who did a fine job keeping up.
Ted

I don't know if it's a good thing, or a bad thing that people only know I have a beemer for sale. ;-)

Wayne

Ok, we need to stop reposting this picture! I'm really not that crazed!! :trust:

Wayne, I'm trying to help get your name and face out there so that maybe you can sell the beamer! I so would love to own it myself but now's not the right time. :-(

I test rode the entire Victory line of motorcycles over at Napalm. Spent 3 hours doing it.
Sorry to miss the run, My lack of enthusiasm to ride a 35 mph cross wind with the Voyager has waned. I did like the Vision in the crosswind, hardly budged. The Kingpin is smooth and comfortable, I did not care for the fat tired bikes( Hammer) the tire just transmits every bump. They all handled very good, I tried dragging hard parts but it did not happen.

Stuart "SBrogden" on the left and Martin(?) on the right, and I don't think I even got everyone else's names at all. Where was Gilk51 and his nametags!? :doh:
IMG_5347.JPG
Hi folks! I'm Martin (bat-stang), the darkly tanned biker in the shot--first time with you all (came with Stuart and invited by Dan) and had a blast!! Great atmosphere...looking forward to many rides in the future!:clap:

You would get my first pic on the site with my mouth open... ;)

Good job batstang on making that photo appear again in this thread. Let's see how many times we can get it up here! :mrgreen:

...couldn't think of a better way to pinpoint who I was looking for, lol...YOU wouldn't happen to know his username would you?

I believe that is EquipmentJunkie.

Now, can we please stop posting that picture. :giveup: You're scaring everyone away from me!:rofl:

:welcome: Martin!

First pictures are usually with mouth open and eyes closed - I think it is a requirement. :trust:

The first gentleman: I believe his name is Craig. Could someone post his username so that I may contact him. I would like to follow up on the conversation we were having at lunch. Thanks

I believe that is EquipmentJunkie.

Yes, that is Craig - equipment junkie :sun:

Hi folks! I'm Martin (bat-stang), the darkly tanned biker in the shot--first time with you all (came with Stuart and invited by Dan) and had a blast!! Great atmosphere...looking forward to many rides in the future!:clap:

:eat:With this bunch, that's the universal occupation....:eat2:....and talking, of course!

How's this Carole Ann?
IMG_5343.jpg

PS. Wayne has a beemer for sale.

:lol2:

Back